“Absolute quiet and soothing charm made our stay memorable”

Juan de Fuca Cottages
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sequim
GreenLeadersGold level
Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
“Absolute quiet and soothing charm made our stay memorable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The check-in process was quick and Shelly was most helpful in helping us get our bearings before heading out to the Dungeness Spit Wildlife Refuge and also the lavender fields that were in full bloom when we arrived in mid-July. We stayed in Cottage 4 with views of Dungeness Sound. This is the quietest place! We would occasionally hear other guests come and go but that was only the crackle of gravel from their cars arriving and departing. Our room was immaculate and we prepared several meals in the full kitchen that includes a counter top dishwasher -I almost missed that feature as I had never seen one before. The bathroom has a skylight above the shower and it gave a very spa-like feeling to the area. This is a quiet, understated place with tons of charm. I use the word charm in a positive way and not to mean something negative like a shabby chic dump as I have seen it used recently. It felt cozy, it felt relaxing, it was the perfect spot to begin our tour of the Olympic Peninsula. Even in July, we slept with the windows open all night but still needed extra blankets. Coming from the South, it was a welcome treat to sleep with windows open since our a/c has been on non-stop since April. Juan de Fuca Cottages were a pleasant surprise and a place we would return to if visiting Sequim in the future. For the nutrition and health minded (and fellow vegetarians), I only found out as we left that there is a fabulous restaurant called Nourish that serves local, fresh, organic food for lunch and dinner. It was booked solid so we could not enjoy it. Also there is an organic food market five minutes from the cottages called Nash's. The Heirloom tomatoes were so wonderful that we ate them by themselves with a little sea salt.

Green Features: Recycling bins were available on the front porch and we were encouraged to reuse towels by the standard note cards left in most hotel bathrooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
La Verne, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The owners are very nice, from reservation to check out. The property sits on 11 acres, surrounded by pastures. On the east were llamas, on the west, cows, and sometimes geese.
In close proximity to beautiful lavender fields which are best to be visited in Mid-July.
There is a game room in the middle of the property in the shape of a gazebo but protected from the elements.
Two night minimums in July and August, but they allowed us to stay only one evening as it was a Thursday, and they had some openings. They have a private beach to Dungeness Bay. Unfortunately, I visited at low tide, and it was a bit smelly from the seaweed. Beautiful rocky beach with nice views. Could not see the Olympic mountains, as it was cloudy.
Nice room with the following objections. The bath towels could have smelled a bit fresher.
The 'faux' fireplace an in room refrigerator were a bit noisy. The owners are not on site at night or early morning, but can be called in case of an emergency. The alarm clock went off blaring late at night, quite annoying, but the owners apologized about it. I thought that the room rate would have been reasonable had it been a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Puyallup, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I arrived at this little gem on a Sunday and stayed until Tuesday. The weather was great and the view was magnificent. Our cottage was right on the water. The staff was pleasant and the locals were very friendly. We rented bikes and took a trip around town checking out the sights. We also ate at the 7Cedar casino, where I won $400 playing my favorite game roulette. I highly recommend!

Room Tip: All the cottages are nice but we were in number 1 which is closest to the water with the best view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diesel2167
Port Orchard, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We were in Sequim for an annual golf tournament & wanted an alternative to the hotels options. Juan de Fuca Cottages was the answer. Each is independent of the other with views of the water and/or mountains, llamas, cattle or eagles. Sunsets are incredible. Rooms so quiet, blissful!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Marydeane F
TUCSON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We are here now! Drove into Port Angeles and stopped at a McDonalds to search the internet for an alternative to 4 nights camping, hopefully a cottage with kitchen and a view of the Strait Juan De Fuca, nr Port Angeles. We phoned ahead and they had a cottage.....with kitchen, spa tub, beach, clamming, etc. It is beautifully, comfortably appointed (incl. robes and slip ons), and a view that is incredible of the Strait. Even have DVDs to take to your room, and a gazebo with games etc. Probably great for children. But we are a 60-ish couple and it fits us perfectly. Clean, clean, clean. Missy, one of the owners, was helpful and very welcoming. We love it here!!! I cannot recommend this spot highly enough! I think we shall be back on another trip from Arizona. It is close to the Hood Canal, Seattle, Victoria, the Olympic Natl Forest....wow.

Room Tip: All cottages look great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank copilotpreston
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I was looking for a quiet place to relax when I booked this trip. I had never stayed anywhere in this area before and wasn't sure what to expect. When I arrived I was surprised at the how close to the bay the property sat and very pleased with the cottage and location. Everything you need is in the cottage except for the food. There are many local markets in the area including an organic market. The cottage I stayed in was roomy and perfect. I couldn't have asked for anything different. From one window was the view of the Olympic mountains (snow-topped) and from the other window was a view of Dungeness Bay. And a private beach. I loved sitting on the bench looking out over the water along the beach. The hosts were so pleasant and truly made me feel at home (I wish it were my home!). I am planning my next trip there for next year. I highly recommend staying here. Oh, and the deer walking outside by my window was another unexpected surprise.

Room Tip: Consider the length of your stay and your needs before you book which I recommend to anyone travelli...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Irene B
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

My friend and I stayed for 3 nights at Juan de Fuca Cottages. We were in Cottage #4. Wonderful views, clean, full kitchen, gazebo outside our front door, bicycles to rent, eagles nesting nearby. Just beautiful. There is a picnic table for guests, comfortable places to sit outside to watch the sunset or just relax and Tom and Missy served a delicious hot breakfast to our room in a basket with cloth napkins--there is an extra charge for this which is well worth it. Owners, Tom and Missy, went over and above to make us feel welcome; we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Cottage 4 great views of the water and the mountains.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kattodd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Sequim Bay Lodge
Sequim Bay Lodge
#8 of 9 in Sequim
Greenhouse Inn by the Bay

Been to Juan de Fuca Cottages? Share your experiences!