“Huge portions”

Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Black Bear Diner is dedicated to providing the very best food and service anywhere. You'll enjoy delicious family meals, perfect burgers, frosty shakes, and healthful salads. We'll treat you like we invited you over for diner! Enjoy outside seating on our deck in the Sequim sunshine. We are located next to Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Sequim. Don't forget our pet-friendly deck when the weather is nice!
West Long Branch, New Jersey
“Huge portions”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Even the childs breakfast was huge. I ordered a side of biscuits and gravy and they gave me four huge biscuits smothered. The Belgian waffle was excellent. I would recommend ordering smaller portions which are available.

Visited November 2013
BlackBearDiner, Owner at Black Bear Diner, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed our Belgian waffle and that you appreciated our generous portions. Our cooks, prep-cooks and bakers appreciate your compliments and will work hard to continue serving you delicious, Black Bear Diner home cookin'!

Colorado
“Three strikes and they're out”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I ate at the Black Bear twice. We had tri-tip the first time and thought it OK but not quite good. The steak was hardly warm, let alone hot. Less than 2 hrs later we both began feeling queasy and bloated. Although not debilitating, I mentally crossed this place off my restaurants list.

On the second visit, we were ravenous and didn't want to drive longer to find another restaurant. My husband suggested the Black Bear, which surprised me. He thought we should give it another chance. I said I was only going to order something that could not have been precooked and sat around for hours, spoiling. Chicken-fried steak it was, and the same for him. I specified that the "country gravy" be served on the side, as I always do with that type of gravy.

Our dinners arrived with white gravy slathered all over both our steaks. When notified, the server apologized and had a new one made correctly. The steak itself was pretty good, as was the salad. That's the end of the good stuff. The corn muffin, which tasted mostly like sugar, was cold, with a texture like it had been baked the night (or days) before and refrigerated. The fries were barely average.

Still hoping they would redeem their much-hyped selves, I ordered banana cream pie for dessert. A different server from the one who had taken our order brought us...chocolate cream pie. Strike 2 for tonight! We returned it and they brought back what supposedly was banana cream pie. I say "supposedly" because when I tentatively spooned the way-too-bright yellow substance under the whipped cream and tasted it, I was shocked by a sensation of extremely sour carbonation. We flagged down the server yet again, pointed to the goo, and she said, "Something's wrong with this! It's not supposed to be runny!" I didn't know what was in that pie but I sure hoped the one little taste of it would not make me sick. Strike 3 for the Black Bear!

They did take the pie off our bill at least. But they've run out of second chances. We will NEVER eat there again. Mediocre food is one thing; deficient food handling and storage that potentially results in food poisoning is unacceptable at ANY price level.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank pikabike
Bret W, Owner at Black Bear Diner, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Pikabike, We are sorry you didn't have a wonderful experience at our restaurant. Our mission is to make every customer want to return again and again. We are glad you enjoyed your chicken-fired steak. That is one of our most popular items. I'm not sure what happened with your pie, but thanks for bringing it to our attention. Though we didn't exceed your expectations, at least let me assure you that our food is prepped daily and cooked to order. We take food handling and cleanliness seriously. We strive to exceed all safety and cleanliness requirements - for instance we installed wheels and flexible gas hosing all our kitchen ovens, stove, fry-a-lators and refrigerators so we can pull them out and clean behind them regularly. Thanks again for bringing these issues to our attention. We will be discussing them in our weekly managers meeting. We hope you come back and eat with us again.
“Huge servings”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The menu is good and service was very good. We found the servings to be too huge but some folks likely like this.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Gloria M
BlackBearDiner, Owner at Black Bear Diner, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for the nice review! Yes, our portions are quite large, but many people like to take home part of their meal and enjoy it later! Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon!
Port Angeles, Washington, United States
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

First time eating at the Black Bear Diner in Sequim. I liked the atmosphere in there. Cozy, charming and welcoming. Waitress Melanie, was efficient and friendly. The breakfast was tasty delicious - California Benny with red potatoes - very filling.

One draw back. Supposedly they give out newspapers but when we asked for one, the male waiter said he would get one and never came back. I went up to the counter to ask for one. They did not have, or did not give out, the Sunday paper. I was given an extra one a customer had left behind.

I would choose this restaurant again. Perhaps dinner next time.

• Visited November 2013
Bret W, Owner at Black Bear Diner, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Pauline, We are so glad that you thought we were cozy, charming and welcoming and that your server, Melanie, was efficient and friendly. I like the California Eggs Benedict too! But please allow me to clarify our "Good News" special. You receive a free daily newspaper, the Peninsula Daily News, with your breakfast order Monday through Friday and not on the weekends. Sorry if that was not clear. So please come back any weekday morning and enjoy a value-priced breakfast special, or anything else off our menu, and we'll have your copy of the Peninsula Daily News waiting for you!
Sequim, WA
“We won't be returning....”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We live in Sequim and don't go out to often for breakfast but decided to on this foggy day. We know how large the portions are so we decided to split an order of corned beef hash, which is a real a treat for my husband. We waited in the entrance for 10 to 15 minutes, not bad. We were taken to our table and we were in the restaurant one hour and forty minutes. We were just getting up to leave when the waitress came by and said oh, I'm on my way to get your order. The corned beef was stringy, not to mention cold; we ordered hash browns and got got country potatoes, scrambled eggs were good & the biscuit was the best part. We only got one refill of coffee. My husband said we're never coming back here, this is unacceptable. She knew we unhappy and said I'd go in there and cook myself if I could, nothing I can do. I thought of a few things she could have done, give us another coffee refill, (they must have a limit) maybe a bowl of fruit, and most of all she should have taken something off the total bill.

• Visited October 2013
BlackBearDiner, Owner at Black Bear Diner, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
We are very sorry about the mistakes that we made with your order! It looks as though you were overlooked for awhile and that your order was not accurate. We sincerely apologize for our mistakes, and yes, you should have been offered other menu items or items should have been deducted from your bill. Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. At Black Bear Diner, you should expect efficient, friendly service, all of the coffee that you'd like, and hot tasty food delivered to you in a timely fashion. Please give us another try and let us know if you do not experience high Black Bear standards for service and food.