“Needs better follow through.”

Lost Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 10 Sequim B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Great setting for our 25th anniversary trip! Clean and cozy. Beautiful and serene setting in the woods with several ponds with wildlife.
But.... Was told would be emailed the ferry schedule. Was not done and they did not have a current copy of the schedule on site (nor the proper phone numbers to call). I told them when I made the reservation that my wife is on the Atkins Diet and would not be eating any pastries. We expected some protein for breakfast but were served nice breads and gourmet vegetarian both days. Not that big a deal for me but my wife is counting the carbs. Lastly she was not up on what was open and what was closed for the season. Went to the Ranger Station in Port Angeles for info and had a great time seeing the Olympics. Maybe it was due to them winding down at the end of the year, I hope so.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rwf1952
LostMountainLodge, Owner & General Manager at Lost Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2008

I am sorry that we never had the opportunity to personally welcome this couple to our home. Two very kind ladies were helping us because my wife had medical treatment in Seattle and we had left shortly before these guests arrived on Sunday evening and did not return until Tuesday morning after they had left. In fact, we found very nice compliments from his wife written in our Guest Book when we returned, so there was nothing that would have prepared us for the criticism in this review. With regards to breakfast, all this guest had to do was mention that his wife needed more protein to our morning helper and she would have gladly prepared whatever was needed on the spot. As a B&B with multiple guests, we are juggling many different dietary requests in order to create a single breakfast menu that gives everyone healthy and tasty choices.

I am also a bit mystified that he felt the need to be so critical about a ferry schedule when Ferry Travel Tips are included in our confirmation packet mailed to every guest. We directed this guest to a highlighted Link for the most current ferry schedule posted on our Web site. Other guests have easily found this Link and said it was very helpful in planning their trip. We also stock official Washington State printed ferry schedules on our reference bookcase in the dining area and apologize if our helper could not find these for him. However, there is a special Ferry Travel page with photos, ferry routes, local & toll-free numbers in the very front of the local phone book—phone books are located in the top drawer of the nightstand in every guest room.

I have spoken with both ladies who were helping us and they feel terrible about this review especially since neither the reviewer nor his wife ever said anything to either of them about ANY of these concerns or they would have immediately gone the extra mile for them. Because we take guest criticisms so seriously, I've also spoken to other guests that stayed the same days who had nothing but rave reviews for the service they received.

During late October, it is difficult for anyone to know what is open in the National Park because of unpredictable and rapidly changing weather conditions which is why our helper suggested speaking with the Ranger at the Olympic National Park Visitor Center. There is also a toll-free number on the official Olympic National Park map given to every guest at Check-in that provides up-to-the-minute road closures in the Park (we call this same number when checking conditions). In fact, our hostess did make some calls for this guest and when she delivered their welcome tray of wine & hors d'oeuvres to their suite told him that the restaurant at Lake Crescent Lodge had closed early for the Season.

Finally, I am deeply saddened that in these very difficult economic times for small businesses like ours this guest felt compelled to do damage in a public forum without first contacting me to express his concerns. He could have reached me anytime during his stay by calling the phone number posted in the room or on our business card (automatically forwards to my personal cell phone) and I would have immediately rectified anything that he felt needed extra attention. It is always our goal to make each guest’s stay a special time of pampering and relaxation.

Reviewed 13 October 2008

Over the years I have stayed in many B&Bs, but my Lost Mountain Lodge experience will be remembered as the most beautiful, serene, tranquil and relaxing of all. Everywhere you turn, there is a beautiful view of ponds, trees, flowers and wildlife. Every amenity - soft bedding, relaxing baths, romantic fireplaces, beautiful furnishings - added to the comfort of my stay and were impeccable.

All of this was enhanced by the graciousness and talents of the host & hostess and staff. From their suggestions of great things to do (hikes, picnics, waterfalls, side-trips) to the scrumptious nightly treats and gourmet breakfasts - all 4 days went by way too fast and I wanted to stay longer! And all that pampering makes me want to go back again (after seeing several of their beautiful suites and cottages, it will be hard to decide which one to stay in next!).

I can see why you have received so many awards and accolades. Thank you Lisa and Dwight for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank orien001
Reviewed 9 August 2008

I recently contacted the lodge to get information in planning a trip. After obtaiing the room prices and availability I asked if they still accepted the Bed and Breakfast gift cards as advertised. I was reluctantly told yes and promptly informed that the inn's don't get full face value for the cards. I was made to feel unwelcome. Just a warning in case your planning on using a gift card at this establishment.

Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1slogrl
LostMountainLodge, General Manager at Lost Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2008

Sadly, this reviewer was never a guest here. The title of their review is deliberately misleading as it implies that they were not warmly greeted when they arrived at the inn. In fact, our office manager was extremely polite to this telephone caller and spent a considerable amount of time answering questions about different suites and availability.

When the caller wanted to use a 3rd-party gift certificate to reserve and pay for the room, our manager politely explained that unfortunately we do not accept those certificates. We would be delighted to welcome this telephone caller as a guest. Our helpful manager even suggested the value-added seasonal specials posted on our Web site.

The caller persisted that they wanted to use a certificate that our inn does NOT accept. Their review is most unfair – it would be like posting a negative review for Hyatt Hotels because they would not accept a Motel 6 gift certificate over the phone.

I’ve always been the first one to apologize or make amends anytime someone has a challenge. While I can empathize with the phone caller’s frustration in learning that the certificate she was given is not widely accepted in our part of the country, her expectation that we redeem the certificate is not reasonable.

We go above and beyond most hotels and inns in providing extra services and amenities for our guests. We pride ourselves in pampering our guests with welcome trays of wine and hors d’oeuvres, complimentary hot & cold beverages available 24-hours, free movies & popcorn for the 32-inch widescreen HDTV-DVDs in every suite, and fresh baked cookies and brownies each night.

I am saddened that a telephone caller who never stayed at our inn and has never experienced our hospitality felt the need to post this damaging review.

Reviewed 24 May 2008

We had a lovely stay and were very well taken care of from the moment we arrived til our departure. The entire facility was spotless, the food was tasty and lovingly prepared, the innkeepers are both delightful and the rest of the staff as friendly as anywhere we have stayed. The check-in process was extensive with the idea that you should be able to know everything that you might want to in having free reign of the property, your room and the available amenities. The time was well spent for us, as we were then able to use the spa on our own, grab some larger bags of ice when we needed to and generally feel completely comfortable knowing we were welcome to be anywhere we wanted to be.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sshifton
Reviewed 9 May 2008

We booked this weekend getaway as a "babymoon" trip for my husband and I. We are due to have our second child in June and wanted to get away--just the two of us before her arrival. Lost Mountain Lodge advertised a babymoon package on their website and that sparked our interest even more. We had a relaxing drive over to Sequim via the Bainbridge Island ferry from downtown Seattle. Upon our arrival we were warmly greeted and shown to our room where we enjoyed great crab dip, crackers and of course wine for my husband and sparkling pear cider for me! Lisa, one of the innkeepers made us reservations for both nights at 2 wonderful restaurants. Our suite was incredible. Decorated to the hilt with a huge bed, down comforter, granite counter tops in the bathroom and a huge jacuzzi tub built for 2! Our breakfast each morning was beautifully prepared and delicious. Could not have asked for better service, accomodations and relaxation! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ktutthomas
Reviewed 5 May 2008

My boyfriend and I visited the Lost Mountain Lodge as a birthday getaway. After viewing the beautiful pictures online, we were both very excited to have a romantic vacation. When we arrived at the lodge, we were warmly greeted by Lisa, who took the time to explain the use of the hydrotherapy spa and all of the luxuries of the lodge including free movies, beverages, and popcorn. Without this information, we certainly would have missed part of the fun of our vacation! We then sat down with our hostess, and she attentively listened and helped advise and plan desired activities and restaurants for us to visit. She even made my birthday dinner reservation! We then were shown to our room, which was spacious and lovely with the most spectacularly comfortable bed and were presented with wine, crackers, and a seafood spread. In the evening, we padded down in our lodge robes and slippers to the hydrotherapy spa. Under the open sky with twinkling stars, we relaxed and listened to the frogs croaking in the nearby pond. Of all the vacations that my boyfriend and I have taken, this in my opinion, was most wonderful. The staff at the Lost Mountain lodge really extend their hospitality and class to each of their guests. We loved this property so much that my family is planning to rent the largest vacation house this summer. We will definately be back. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank McBird05
Reviewed 9 April 2008

My mother gave my husband a Norelco razor for Christmas which happened to have a free night at an inn sticker on it. I went to the website and found this B & B listed as one of the participating B & B's. The promotion was you get a night free when you pay for one night. I was very excited as my husband and I are expecting our second child and this would be a great getaway before he is born. I called the B & B up and explained the certificate EXACTLY as it told me too and everything was set. When we showed up Lisa gaves us the tour of the main part of the house and then we sat down in the office for the check in process. That's when things went all wrong. When she found out it was a certificate from Norelco she inform me that she doesn't accept those because they don't pay her and I should have told her that it was a Norelco certificate over the phone. She said I told her it was a certificate from I Love Inns (which it also was and that's exactly word for word what the certificate told me to say). She completely made me feel like it was my fault. How am I suppose to know that I Love Inns has two types of certificates. I don't work in the B & B world. She should have asked me over the phone if it was a Noreclo certificate. She also when on and on about how she has staff to pay and how the electric bill and propane bill doesn't take a night off. She did decided to honor the certificate since we were already there, but by this time my hormonal pregnant self felt completely abused. She then took us into our room and explained how to use EVERYTHING. As if I have never burned a Duraflame log and used a childproof lighter before!! She made us feel like we were two years old at times. I asked if she could get us a number to a movie theater since we don't get out to see movies very often it was something we wanted to do. She seemed offended that I didn't want to watch one of the movies in her collection. Later on she brought in our snack, but didn't bring the number. My husband had to go out and ask for it. He did so by knocking on the office door that was opened. He wasn't greeted very warmly and he was even advised of a phone in the kitchen that had a button you could push that would ring them in the office or their bedroom. The funny thing is you have to walk past the office just to get to the kitchen. Not very friendly at all! Later on I went out to ask about the Olympic Game Farm and I did the same thing, knocked on the open office door and said excuse me. (My husband hadn't told me about the phone) She turned around with this look on her face like how dare you interrupt what I was doing. She didn't not seem willing to help me at all. When I asked about the Game Farm she said, "Well that's NOT a place we recommend". I guess my taste in having fun isn't up to par with hers. She did get me the brochure and we had a great time seeing the animals.

Overall the inn is beautiful the breakfast that was prepared by Jason was divine, but I would never stay at this B & B again solely because she was not friendly at all. Her husband was a nice laid back fellow that always had a smile on his face, but it didn't make up for her lack of people skills.

Stayed: April 2008
5  Thank micmartin
LostMountainLodge, Owner & General Manager at Lost Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2008

Even though the Photo Copy they presented was not a redeemable Gift Certificate for us, we absolutely honored their completely FREE night -- in our nicest and largest suite -- and told the guests that it would not be a problem and we were happy to have them as guests. We believed any misunderstanding about the Certificate had been resolved immediately at check-in to their satisfaction.

Again, we apologize that the guests were offended as this was the first time we had ever seen the type of Photo Copied certificate that they presented at check-in for "payment" of the Free Night. This caught us completely off guard as it was not the serial-numbered, professionally-printed Gift Certificate or standardized, plastic B&B Gift Cards that we normally accept because we are partially reimbursed and that in good faith, we had believed they were using when they called to make their reservation. The company who offered the program with Norelco had instructions that were confusing to both the consumer and the innkeeper. It is most unfortunate that the guest is penalizing us with a negative review when we did give them a Free Night as promised.

Also, it was not our intention to offend the guests in any way by making sure that they knew how to operate everything in their suite. We've had guests have difficulty in the past lighting the wood-burning fireplaces (some close the flues when they are already open or can't seem to figure out the lighters), so we take less than 5 minutes to briefly highlight the special features of their suite or cottage for all guests. In fact, other guests have always told us this was very helpful for them. Our luxury suites are NOT standard hotel rooms and things like hydrospas, steam shower rooms, and coded door locks are explained so that the guests feel comfortable and at home in their suite.

We are sorry the guests had to ask twice for the phone number to the movie theater (it does get busy here during check-in time) and I know my wife pleasantly wrote down the phone number for them as I was in the office area at that time also. She only pointed out our Movie Library to make sure these guests knew where it was and that it was available to them at no charge.

With regard to their comments about the Olympic Game Farm, my wife immediately got up from the desk and went out to our brochure racks to get the information for them. When guests ask us about local attractions, we believe we have an obligation to provide an honest answer based on the feedback that we get from the majority of our guests. Our candor was not a judgment on this couple’s preferences in any way and was meant to be helpful and we are so very sorry that they took this the wrong way.

My wife told these guests about the house phone, so that if they had any questions later that night (we were going out that evening) that they knew how to reach us. They completely misinterpreted this helpful suggestion -- certainly when our office door is open, guests can stop by to ask for assistance anytime. We would never expect a guest to use the house phone to contact us when we are visible or available in the public rooms of the Lodge. Most guests find it comforting to know that if they need anything at all either very late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, they can simply pick up the house phone and reach us.

We are deeply saddened that these guests, for whatever reason, chose to read into or perceive attitudes or judgments "against them" that simply were not there. We know that everyone here went out of their way to serve them and make their stay a special one.

This was a very young couple who perhaps have not stayed in a B&B before. Everyone here is very sorry if they were distressed or inconvenienced in any way.

As both an owner and a manager, I am personally saddened these guests did not give me a phone call and give me the opportunity to respond -- in addition to honoring their free night, I would have gladly given them all of their money back or even offered them a free stay here in one of our kid-friendly cottages after their baby is born.

Dwight Hostvedt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Olympic Lodge
#3 of 16 in Port Angeles
Quality Inn & Suites at Olympic National Park
Juan de Fuca Cottages
Sea Cliff Gardens Bed & Breakfast

Been to Lost Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!