“great hideaway”

Lost Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 10 Sequim B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 December 2005

This beautiful Bed and Breakfast--was a true delight!!!! It is a hidden treasure that is run by a delightful and most helpful couple!! The home is lovely, immaculate and in a great location that is near everything that you want to be near!! The innkeepers are like a wealth of information--couldn't be nicer--a truly--wonderful experience!!

6  Thank bevy711

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 7 December 2005

I stumbled across this B&B purely by accident about 5 years ago while researching destinations for my honeymoon. The website gave me a good feeling about the place so I called and spoke to one of the proprietors, Lisa. That conversation confirmed the good feeling I had after visiting the website. She was so helpful and offered good suggestions on how to make the most of a vacation out there. Traveling across the country from the east coast, we arrived at night tired and somewhat grumpy. We were greeted by Lisa and Dwight who checked us in and led us to our room. We walked into the most amazing master bedroom suite and all thoughts of fatigue and frustration melted away. The next morning we awoke to a scrumptious continental breakfast. We were able to laze around and explore the grounds which are immaculately kept and the area over the next few days before heading home. Lisa and Dwight were wonderful hosts throughout our entire stay. Needless to say, we have been back a couple more times since then which says a lot considering that we live clear on the other side of the country!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Manhattan Beach, CA
Reviewed 6 December 2005

If you are seeking a refuge from the every day stresses of life, I highly recommend the Lost Mountain Lodge. We "discovered" this small B&B on our return from Tofino, British Columbia in 2000.

Innkeepers Lisa and Dwight Hostvedt escaped the corporate rat race themselves, so they relate well to the "Blackberry Weary".

The Lost Mountain Lodge is a wonderful, spacious home, which offers solitude, good food, and luxury surroundings.

We have visited several times since our first visit, during the Lavender Festival in July. I especially like the proximity of the Olympic National Park, with the breathtaking alpine scenery.

Many guests take their breakfast in their luxury suite, but I prefer to sit at the breakfast bar in the huge gourmet kitchen and visit with the staff, or on special times with Lisa and Dwight. Lisa is a teriffic cook.

If you are looking for a "wild time" go to Las Vegas, don't go to Lost Mountain Lodge. But if you are looking for a romantic get-away, or a haven from your busy life, I highly recommend Lost Mountain Lodge.

I usually like to keep discoveries like LML to myself, but alas we have not been able to travel much in 2005. I do want the Hostvet's to be successful so that Lost Mountain Lodge will be there when I do need it.

You won't be disappointed.

Robert Wright
Manhattan Beach, California

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 December 2005

We stayed at the Lost Mountain Lodge in August of this year. The experience was top notch. We stayed in the Guest House, a nice sized private house on the property.

The rooms were spacious, clean and very well equiped. The egyptian cotton sheets and plush towels were every bit as sumptuous as Dwight and Lisa described them on the web site.

The Guest House is a bit more private than the main lodge. We enjoyed the Guest House's jacuzzi, especially at night when we could sit in the spa and watch the summer meteor showers.

The welcome glass of wine at check in and the gourmet coffee provided for early morning were also special touches.

We made arrangements to take breakfast in the lodge. There was a wide assortment of choices. We'd love to get Lisa's recipe for her fritata.

Dwight makes a lot of the cabinetry and the furniture. The craftsmanship of his pieces reflects the same love and care that go in to the running of their Inn.

We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank lakefan
Reviewed 4 December 2005

My wife and I visited this absolutely wounderful lodge. The rooms were large, bright, with luxery bathrooms. The service was personnal, the Hostvedts, who own and manage this slice of heaven could not do enough for us. Anyone visiting the Olympic pennisula must visit this Lodge or miss out on part of the overall experience.

9  Thank rblumen1
Bremerton, WA
Reviewed 12 September 2005

In attempting to make a reservation for myself, my sister, sister-in-law and her sister for a pre-wedding girls' retreat (my sister is getting married and the rest of us are in the wedding party) mid-week in October I had the following experience.

The website for Lost Mountain Lodge states that they take 2-night minimum reservations during the "busy season". I talked to the Chamber of Commerce for Sequim and the surrounding area and they confirmed that October, let alone mid-week October is not busy season.

After explaining I was interested in their 4-person suite, the "Sunnyview" and explaining, upon request, the relation of the 4 people who wanted the reservation, and our reason for staying, I was told that "because of their fine linens" that single night reservations "didn't really work" for them. Even though their website says:
"While the Sunnyview is a restful retreat for two, this suite can accommodate up to four (4) persons making it the perfect choice for families with children over 12, or two or three friends traveling together.
2-night minimum preferred on weekends"

When I expressed regret and how perfect their Inn seemed for our needs (we wanted to hang out, watch movies, and eat chocolate in luxurious surroundings) I was told “we aren’t the place for you" (that is the direct quote). I was so infuriated I told them their policy was a bad one and hung up.

So in closing although the Lost Mountain Lodge is rather expensive and looks lovely on their website, their customer service is terrible and potential guests apparently have to fulfill certain unpublished criteria to be considered “good enough” to stay at their facility. They apparently do not extend the same standards to their staff's manners.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
LostMountainLodge, Owner & General Manager at Lost Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2006

We are devastated that someone who was unable to book a room has been so angered as to write a review intended to cause us harm. There was no intent on our part to insult this reviewer, but as a licensed B&B we must comply with state regulations for occupancy. We politely explained several times that it was not possible to accommodate four (4) adult persons in a single room designed for two (2) persons in a king bed. We did offer the reviewer one of our private cottages with adequate privacy and individual beds for their “bachelorette party”, but she only wanted us to make exceptions to our policies for both “maximum occupancy” and “minimum stay” for a room in the Lodge. We never like saying “no” to a reservation request, but we do turn away people who want to smoke here, or people who want to bring their pets, or people making requests such as a midnight check-in that might disturb other registered guests. Because the B&B inn is also our personal residence (our family includes young children) and not a public building, we often have to make judgment calls that are not necessarily what people want to hear. Our decisions are based on previous experiences that have gone badly for us — and our other guests. We sincerely hope that people reading these TripAdvisor reviews will give more weight to the opinions of bonafide guests who have ACTUALLY STAYED at the Lodge and experienced our hospitality first-hand. We assure you that everyone here – myself, my wife, and our very polite staff—are devoted to making sure that Lost Mountain Lodge provides an exceptional, peaceful getaway for our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Olympic Lodge
Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles
#3 of 16 in Port Angeles
Juan de Fuca Cottages
Sea Cliff Gardens Bed & Breakfast

Been to Lost Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!