“Not Worth The Discount”
Review of Sundowner Motel

Sundowner Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Sequim
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I used a motel discount coupon to stay the night while visiting friends. This was no bargin at any price.
I had a difficult time checking in because the clerk did not speak very good english. He also would go into another room (looked like a living space) and be gone for several minutes. At first he refused the coupon, until I turned and started to leave. By the time I had gotten to the door he changed his mind and honored the coupon.

The room was in sad repair, cheap extention cords plugged into overloaded wall sockets.
The room smelled and there were rolls in the carpet. Bath towels were small, frayed and rough, not at all soft and the bed covers were'nt much better.

The hot water came and went in the shower and every piece of porcelin was stained and the toilet seat rocked back and forth.

Thank god I only stayed one night as the trafic noise from the highway running in front of the hotel made it impossible to sleep.

Room Tip: Pass this one by unless you're brook and don't care where you lay your head.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 September 2012

Our room was clearly not cleaned, as we found crumbs all over the floor in kitchen and bathroom. Filled with mismatched furniture and featuring broken shades and a "spare" lampshade on the shelf, and the worst pillows I have ever slept on.This place felt more like a flop house that a hotel. We'd been camping for several days and were desperate for showers or we would've moved on!

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yiddo1
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Had good wifi, a fridge and a microwave and it was cheap. However, it needed vacuuming and a good cleaning and new curtains. It was quiet and the bed was comfortable. Not the best I've seen and not the worst. A good choice if cheap is your main consideration.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I had made reservations here so long ago, I kind of forgot where we were supposed to stay. So when we figured it out when we got to town we called and asked to confirm. The woman said, "I don't know, I have to wait for the manager to get back." Either way they had room anyway so we checked it. It was a non-smoking room and it smelled fine. Noticed right away, big black stains on one of the bed's blankets (the bedspreads were turned down). They looked like dark grease spots.

First thing hubby does it hit the bathroom and the toilet had no water in it. The water had been turned off to it because it was running. As it filled, I played with the chain and float and had the problem was fixed in 5 minutes. So who turned the water off? If it was the previous people, that means the toilet was not cleaned. If it was staff, that is pure laziness to just not fix the problem.

There were big smudge marks on the window and the mirror was filmy, smudgy and cleaned a bit in the middle. You could look at it to the side and see the filth. The thing that irritated me the most is that there was no screen on the window, so we could open the window while we were there but didn't dare leave it that way during the night. It was hot that day and the a/c worked so-so, had to leave it on all night without a window to open.

The room was quiet, heard no neighbors or traffic. I thought beds would be comfy but they weren't to me, too hard.

In the morning we were getting ready and had the door open. From looking in the mirror back to the door we could see a spider web built in the corner of the door. Gross!!!!!

For one night it was ok, but I sure wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: I serously don't think a good room can be found. The girl that checked us in said this was her...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank dennymas
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We were traveling up Hwy 101 and found the Sundowner Motel to stop. Very few cars in lot. Lady checked us in and when we got in the room we found extra pillows stacked on the open closet shelf, pictures stacked on the floor that looked like they were taken out of other rooms, mold on the shower curtain, no ceiling plate on bathroom light/fan, hard beds, and an a/c that didn't cool very well. Motel does not offer any type of breakfast. Since we were in late and only there to sleep (checked the beds and they were clean but hard) we spent the night and left early the next day. Saw other motels as we were leaving we wished we would have checked out. Left the manager a note telling her the problems and that we were posting on tripadvisor. Do not stay at this motel.

Room Tip: Stay at another motel to get a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Azbylut
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My agency placed me in this motel for approximately one and one half weeks. The owner/manager encouraged me to view the room and if it were unacceptable to check back with her to find me a better fit.
The room I chose had a queen size bed that was very comfortable, a fridge and microwave that worked. My room was in a location felt safe. That was my first time using a motel for work purpose and not vacation purpose. The only thing I think I would do different is ask for a kitchenettes. Staying longer than just a few days would have been nice to cook my own food.
While there I developed a friendly relationship with the owner/manager and her staff and see how hard they work to make these rooms as comfortable as they can for us. They are all so pleasant.
It was such a good experience I think my husband and I will be taking our honeymoon there soon!!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2012

After a long trip, with several wonderful stays at different places, we had the unfortunate experience of checking out the Sundowner Motel. We checked in with some trepidation, looked at the room and noticed the floor was not vacuumed adequately. The owner gave us another room, sounds good. On checking out the new room, we find that the bed looks like it had been slept in, rumpled sheets and pillowcase, there is trash not emptied from the trash can, and wet towels on the counter. That was enough to send us running. The owner agreed to refund our payment...all good we thought. We'll just need to find another place to stay. But that wasn't the end. As we are enjoying dinner with a friend, my sister receives a call from the motel accusing us of using the towels, taking a shower, sleeping in the bed, and to cap it off, leaving hypodermic needles under the bed, all in the 5 - 10 minutes we were checking out the room. They then charged us for the room saying we used it. We are in the process of clearing up the charge, but a word to the wise, stay far, far away from this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank luv2journey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Econo Lodge Sequim
Manresa Castle
Manresa Castle
#10 of 11 in Port Townsend
Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim

Been to Sundowner Motel? Share your experiences!