“Torn between rating this poor vs. average”

Oxford Suites Silverdale
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Silverdale
Seattle, Washington
“Torn between rating this poor vs. average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

The hotel is beautiful and clean and new. Great location across from the water with great views. The rooms are huge and everything was very nice. We went to the pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna and everything was good there. They give you two tickets per person to enjoy a complimentary drink at the bar so we went down around 9 pm. Now here is where it went downhill. We each ordered a bottle of beer, which by the way requires 2 tickets instead of 1, so only 1 drink per person instead of 2 (they do not say that when they give them to you and they don't notate it on the tickets). Got the beers and my hubby's tasted funny. We look and it was 3.5 years past the expiration date! I looked at mine and it was 3 months past the expiration date. At first we kind of shrugged it off and I looked up if you could get sick from this and generally (key word), the answer is no. So we figured oh well, they were free. Then we wanted to order some food. I walked up to the bar to ask for a menu and asked if we place our order up at the bar or if a waitress comes to our table because no one visited our table once since we sat down. I was told they come to us. So we looked over the menu and decided and waited. No one ever came. So I went up to the bar to order and was second in line. Once the person in front of me was done, the bartender woman (NOT Amber, the other one) didn't even bother looking at me and completely ignored me while she continued to do what she was doing. So I asked "Can I order some food?" and she turned around to look at the clock, obviously trying to see if I was too late to order - I wasn't. Then she turns around and says yeah, acting very rude. So I order and she was only half listening, making me wonder if she heard anything I said (she did and the order was right). We got our food and it tasted good. No complaint there. As we were eating, the whole beer thing started ticking me off more and more and I realized "this isn't right" and went to the front desk to ask if they knew they were serving expired beer. The manager went to check on things and Amber (waitress) came over to us and apologized for the beer (not the manager). She said although it was wrong, slightly expired beer was not harmful to us. I then explained that his was more than slightly expired and she was in shock that it had a 2010 expiration date. She began apologizing again and confessed that she was in charge of inventory and it was, in fact, her job to check those things. She comp'd us for the appetizers, so we appreciated that. We went back to our room for the evening and I started getting an awful headache. I can't say what it was from but I do rarely get headaches. We went to bed and about an hour later, all we could hear was footsteps above us and people slamming stuff in the hallway. Then about an hour after that, I started feeling extremely sick and overall had an awful night of sleep. Woke up to find out my hubby had the same thing - felt horribly sick all night and barely slept. We skipped breakfast that morning, even though we were looking forward to trying it. We stayed in bed until the absolute last minute where we had to start packing up and leave. We left about 20 minutes passed check out time (Hubby almost passed out in the bathroom). The maid was relatively rude to us because we were late. If she only knew the night we had, and why we had it, maybe she wouldn't have been that way. Overall, I really want to recommend this place, as it is nice, most of the employees were very nice and I am sure they normally don't serve expired products, but I don't know if I can. I don't think I will be staying here again. Every time I think about it, my stomach churns. I am not too happy I paid over $100 for this room just because I thought it was going to be above and beyond.

Room Tip: Get a bay view room and if possible, one on the top floor. You can hear everything above you.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Kennewick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel is nice, our room was huge it even had a sitting couch, we got a room with a balcony and the view of the bay. In the evening you get 2 drinks each -either wine or beer or soft drinks and they have an appetiziers that's include in your stay. The minute you walk the staff is wonderful and helpful. The breakfast is a full breakfast with omelets, bisquits & gravy, homemade potatoes, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, Danish's etc . it was wonderful! The hallways were nice and freshly painted, it is a very nice place. The night before we stayed at the other Oxford Inn just a block away what a MISTAKE! So we switched to this hotel and we were so glad we did, it is worth the price difference.

Room Tip: We got a room with a balcony in the back with a view of the bay very nice!
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel staff, breakfast area, food, pool, steam room and the overall niceness of the hotel could not have been any better.

Let's not forget the view from our breakfast table.

This place made the 745 miles of driving over the weekend so much easier to manage.

If you are traveling for kids sports and need a great place, this is it.

Steve Lach Spokane, WA

September 2013

Shawnigan Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel is right at the oceans edge with a beautiful view and a small deck off our king size room. The only complaint that I have is the smell of the disinfectant cleaner used by the housekeepers in the entire hotel. I unfortunately am highly sensitive to strong smells ie: perfume etc., and this stuff induced an instant headache/itchy swollen red eyes and nausea. I understand that it is only a few people with this problem....my husband was fine :) BUT I would suggest that the management might hold 3 or 4 rooms of the Hotel and use a non perfumed cleaner for those of us sufferers. It would definitely make or break a stay in their establishment.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view, it's worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

The place was very new and clean. The room was spacious and neat. The pool was nice, the pool guy was very friendly and let us stay in the pool for a while after it was closed. We'll be back.
This review must be at least 200 characters.

• Stayed September 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We were booked to stay elsewhere but arrived to find the place unacceptable due to smoke smells and wet carpet. Oxford had a room available for a couple of the nights we needed and we just went for it. They worked hard to get a second room (our adult children joined us) and also a room for the final night. It was a big weekend there and it wasn't easy but they stayed on top of things and gave us options as soon as they became available. We feel like they saved the day. The rooms are nicely designed but not luxurious. The extended suite with a queen and king bed was especially nice and spacious. Comfy linens and clean, well appointed bathrooms. We didn't care too much for the free breakfast or wine but it was generous to offer. I give them 5 stars because I think this is the best place to stay in Silverdale and the staff was so helpful. Also it was a good value with our AAA discount.

Room Tip: We liked the extended suite with king and queen bed for not much more than a regular room.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

We were booked for two days but had to leave as our golf got cancelled due to lighting.and rain. We want to come back here. The rooms were large, very clean and comfortable. The staff were very attentive at both the front desk and the restaurant. No hesitation recommending this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverdale
Best Western Plus Silverdale Beach Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Bremerton
Baymont Inn & Suites Bremerton WA
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bainbridge Island Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bainbridge Isl...
#1 of 5 in Bainbridge Island
Flagship Inn
Flagship Inn
#3 of 8 in Bremerton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Seattle Bremerton

Been to Oxford Suites Silverdale? Share your experiences!