“Don’t yawn here; it’s not the Salish or the Casino.”

Aahaar an Indian Eatery
Ranked #4 of 51 Restaurants in Snoqualmie
Cuisines: Indian
Issaquah, Washington
“Don’t yawn here; it’s not the Salish or the Casino.”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Looking for something very different and extremely tasty and reasonably priced ($8.95 was the highest price on the 10 item lunch menu)? I’m no Vegan nor do I need to watch my gluten intake but there were liberal mention of these on the menu (dinner) for those that do. “Healthy” is there too.
Weary of some mediocre, among great meals, at the Salish Lodge or Snoqualmie Casino I was pleasantly surprised by my recent lunch at the Aahaar restaurant on Snoqualmie Ridge.
You won’t find the typical buffet style food presentation I have been used to and the tables are either intimate or grouped with white linen tops.
I’ve always had a fond taste for the broad spectrum flavors, textures and aromas offered by Indian cuisine but this particular restaurant is extraordinary good. I didn’t ask but was told by others that the owners incorporate South India cuisine into their menu. It that’s what it takes to be extraordinary, sign me up.
If you are like me and sometimes don’t know what you are ordering by the name on the menu, just ask your waiter or the owners who are nearby or take a peek at the food pictures from their lunch and dinner menus at their website beforehand: http://www.aahaaronline.com/dinner_menu
I settled on the lunch menu item of Malabar Parotta Mutton Kurma which was incredibly delicious and I must say, like nothing I’ve ever eaten and now relish. I now have another new favorite.
The mutton of the Malabar Mutton Kurma was very tender and bathed in a great and savory sauce. The Malabar Parotta (Indian version [normally flour based but not sure if that was the primary ingredient here] equivalent of a tortilla) had a crispy exterior with a wonderful texture, the result of multi-layering of the dough batch as it is prepared and pan seared.
I’ve attached a picture of my lunch below. Their menu pix look better than my IPhone one. Anyone know how to zoom an IPhone camera? Think I wet my nose in Kurma or was that the Raita, trying to take a close up.
I also knew I had struck culinary gold noticing that at least half of the cliental were Indian or near India decent. It was similar to knowing the best Chinese restaurant to visit is to look for one frequented by Chinese. Some of those there that day had heard about Aahaar an Indian Eatery’s reputation and traveled here for a meal from the Seattle area.
I am sure part of their past, current and future success is their long history in the restaurant business, 17 years of which was in New Jersey, where you have be scrappy as well as superb, if you expect to survive the restaurant business for any period of time plus be able to flourish. Please note no one was scrappy at the Aahaar restaurant.
The next time you’re headed to Snoqualmie Falls, the Casino, a hike up Mount Si, Snoqualmie Pass or just out driving around, drop in for lunch or dinner (closed Monday). You won’t regret it.

• Visited June 2013