“Whistle Stop Barbecue”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Seattle
“Whistle Stop Barbecue”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Saw the sign as we passed through Cle Elum and decided to try it out; we're glad we did. It's located in the old train depot, adjacent to an interesting state park exhibit about life on the railroad a hundred years ago. You will have to look sharp to find the directional signs through town.
Very friendly and knowledgeable staff people gave us good recommendations. Pulled pork special was good, as were the baked bean and collard green sides. Cornbread was well above average! Baby back ribs were average, and the BBQ sauce was a bit short-portioned, although plenty of extra was available for free at the counter. Two kinds of sauces were available: original and pineapple; I preferred the original. Free refills of the iced tea were most appreciated on a hot day!

• Visited September 2013

Sequim, Washington
“A Bit of Texas In Cle Elum”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I have eaten a lot of Texas BBQ....well smoked with the sauce on the side. Smokey has managed to capture the taste right here in Washington State. Smokey's BBQ is a little hard to find. It is located in the old train station located on Milwaukee Ave. If you see a big red fire truck out front you have found the building, the entrance is in the back.

This place is a favorite of the locals and it can be crowded, especially on the weekends. I do not think they take reservations.

I had some of the best Brisket I have ever eaten, moist, not over done and smoked to perfection. I saw the ribs which looked great, the pulled pork also caught my attention on a neighboring table. As with all Great BBQ places, picnic tables and casual dress and eating are the rule. Wait staff were five star as well.

If you have read my other reviews you know I take writing these seriously. TRUST ME on this one IT IS GREAT BBQ. Did I mention the Collards and Beans? Try those as your side.

Quit reading and get down there, soon there will be a line out the door. Staff are great. Check out their web site for their menu

• Visited August 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Best barbecue since we were in Memphis!”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Wonderful find- outstanding barbecue and beans! Other sides good too. Friendly and relaxed. Prices reasonable. Will be back,

• Visited August 2013
Snoqualmie
“Very good”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were at a cabin for the weekend and needed something we could pick up on a Sunday afternoon (grill had gone bad at our cabin). Reviews all were fab on this place so we gave it a shot. Just a hint of smoke in both the Baby Back and Spare ribs. BBQ was nice and tangy and not too overwhelming. Beans and cornbread were very, very good. I found the potato salad ok and a little strange, but everyone seems to have a weird spin on potato salad. I think this place was really a 3.5, but decided to round up. The bar I have for ribs is a steak house in a rural Seattle neighborhood where I live and while Smokey's was close, it didn't beat out the Woodman Lodge. I would definitely be back to try the deserts, brisket and malts. this place is a little gem in the small little town of Cle Elum.

• Visited July 2013
Cle Elum, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Been four times, but who's counting?”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

OK, I would never describe myself as a BBQ fan,( had lots of mediocre bbq in the past). But this new restaurant in our area changed my whole perspective. We've been four times and I loved the pulled pork, chicken, brisket and smoked chicken casear salad. Excellent side dishes and desserts too...fresh made potato salad and cole slaw, awesome baked beans, corn bread and the collard greens were wonderful. Don't pass through Cle Elum without taking a detour to Smokey's BBQ. they are open for lunch and dinner. Hmmm, what to get next time.....

• Visited June 2013