“neat, cheap”

Ranked #41 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Calgary, Canada
“neat, cheap”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

its neat and cheap but i am not satisfied with friend desk man. i booked through Expedia may be that why he didn't given room with fridge and microwave it was good for me because i have kids with me.
other wise its great,good breakfast
neat and clean

Room Tip: ask for fridge and microwave otherwise they will not give
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank monu1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Michigan
Reviewed 9 July 2013

You could see everywhere that that cut corners to provide the mere minimum for guests. The room had just the basics. The breakfast consisted of a three cereal dispenser, boiled eggs (no scrambled eggs, bacon, or sausage), orange juice inside a small refrig, small donut holes, coffee/tea. There were only 4 tables and a small computer table there for guests use. There was a group of 5 older men talking and laughing very loud and acting out a fight or something swinging their arms around... They can not be held responsible for that, however, perhaps that motel may appeal to those kind.

I had a reservation for a room with a queen size bed, however they only had a room available with 2 double beds on the upper floor.

Their "Free High Speed Wireless did not work! Their "tech guy" at the desk claimed they have tried but can not get it to work for people with "notebooks".! For the record, I have never had a motel/ hotel tell me that before. I have always been able to connect to the web via their password or service.

I would not recommend this motel to others.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelalot963

Travellers are raving about these Spokane hotels

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed here before and after my flight. Chose the hotel because of it's convenient location to the airport.
There were a few minor inconveniences, such as a slow draining sink and a door that didn't close to easy due to a loose screw.
Having traveled to 75 different countries worldwide I know that normally you get what you pay for.
Breakfast was included in the price.
Reading some of the other reviews almost made me look somewhere else. Instead I took a chance and had no regrets.
What many individuals do, is look for the lowest priced hotel and then complain that it is not a Hilton or other high priced hotel.
If you want high priced rooms, then you have to pay for them.
The Econo Lodge is just fine for the price and what they offer. On top of that they have a very friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank The-Dutchmanca
Beverly M, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge & Suites Spokane, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you for being understanding about the issues you encountered during your stay. We are not the best Hotel in the world, but we are by far not the worst, as some other reviewers want people to believe. We are working very hard to keep up the Hotel (this year we got some new beds, sheets, towels, etc.) but still keep the price where it has been over the last few years. Hope to see you again in your travels!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever been to.

I want to note right off the bat, that I am not an upper class person who finds faults in hotels. I have stayed in small named road side motels that cater to work crews. I have seen "Not updated", I have seen "Stains", and I have seen "Damages" and yet the rooms were clean and spotless, and the people who worked at the hotel were well mannered and respectful.

NOT THE CASE WITH THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

We arrive at the Econo Lodge Spokane from a long road trip around 5PM where we went into the lobby to check in. We waited no more than 5 minutes for our turn and went through a normal check in process. We were given keys to our room and pointed in the right direction. All good so far.

We get up to the room (my 6 year old daughter and I) open the door, and notice the bedding is up turned. We go in, close the door, and are inside udder darkness. The light bulbs were burnt out on the main switch for the overhead light.

I open the drapes, and am immediately covered with dust and dirt.

Next, I look around the room a little more. The bed isn't the only issue. Someone had been staying in that room and it hadn't been cleaned. There were papers all over the room...and when we went into the bathroom - OH MY GOD the bathroom - There were urine stains all over the toilet bowl and running down the side onto the floor and the seat was upraised, the towels were all over the place, and it was a disaster.

I then went back into the bedroom area and got on the phone and called these issues down to the lady at the front desk. She told me she would have someone come up to the room right away to take a look. While my 6 year old and I were waiting (with the room door wide open) I looked around more thoroughly. There was an inch thick dust and crumbs down between the bed and the bedside table. There were visible dirt and food stains all over the walls that were NOT permanent stains. They could be washed off and just weren't, among other small details...light switches and lamps were covered in dirty finger prints, drawers were full of crumbs and dust, etc.

Next thing you know, a girl of maybe 18 walks in...With a dirty ripped tank top and hickies everywhere...I MEAN EVERYWHERE...and says "Oh, we must not have cleaned this room" and walks out. Nothing more.

I call back down to the front desk lady, who was the Manager I later found out...to ask what was going on...She tells me she will move me rooms and I need to lug all of my luggage and child back down to the front desk to fill out the change of room info.

I did this.

When I got down there, I was completely ignored as she helped two other families who had just come in - check in. I sat there patiently waiting...with my 6 year old. I can wait my turn...

While we were waiting there was a gentleman who walked up in his swim shorts, with no shoes on, with 2 kids, and asked the Manager "Hey, where are the pool towels" the manager looked at him and said you need your key to access the pool they are in there. The gentleman then goes "Well, I don't have a key, I am not staying here, but these kids are" the Manager goes "What name is your room under?" he goes "Samantha" she asks for a last name and he goes "I have no idea, I am just with these kids and we want to swim" She then GAVE HIM A POOL KEY while I was sitting there. He could have been anyone, from anywhere, with someone else's kids to which he didn't even know their mothers last name! SCARY!

Anyways....Finally it was my turn...the Manager doesn't apologize for ANYTHING and tells me her system must have glitched and that is why I got a dirty room. She then hands me the keys and begins to help another customer. We were dismissed.

So, we lug our things back up the stairs...and go into the room next door to the first. We go in, and upon entry, the lights worked. I am thinking "Things are looking up!", but when my eyes adjusted I noticed a few of the same issues.

Stains on the bedding that were crusty...(obviously not washed). I look in the bathroom...it looks OK...clean-ish. A few hairs in the tub, speckles of dirt. Iwalk out of the bathroom, and sit on the bed by the phone...and look down the side and there is an inch of dirt and crumbs between the bed and bedside table.

At this point, I am finished. I am scared to leave my things in the room (What is the system "Glitches" and someone is granted entrance to my room with my things in there? BYE BYE PERSONAL BELONGINGS!), I can't sleep comfortably, 1. Because who knows what is lurking in the beds and bedding, and 2. Who knows if someone is going to walk into the room while we are 2 girls alone, and I can't trust the hotel with handing out keys to who ever is around. No security.

I called down to the front desk to say I was checking out, and asked about refund. She said that because I was in the room, I would need to come to the front desk and sign a check out form and I would need to call Expedia to obtain refund. So, I called Expedia and they said they would call the front the desk to confirm my check out and I would receive a refund after check out confirmation. So I went downstairs, signed the paper, called Expedia back and found out that when they called about my refund they were told there was no Manager there at the time and to call back in 2 days. 2 days! So I had to wait until a real manager showed up? or the manager who said she was the manager when I was there actually admitted to being the manager? I don't know. Anyways, it took a week for Expedia to get a hold of a hotel Manager and confirm my check out, and begin to process my refund. Disastrous.

So here I was, far from home, alone with a kid attempting to find another hotel at 7pm. IT WAS A DISASTER.

The staff members are rude, dirty, and disrespectful, there are no expectations by the owners, and this is ALLOWED at this hotel. There is no security being provided from the staff - Anyone is allowed access to the motel and amenities, the rooms are the dirtiest I have EVER SEEN within a hotel (I have stayed at 100+ different hotels over the years), and their "system" glitches where people get keys to dirty rooms, or as I read in another review, keys to already occupied rooms, is farrr to disfunctional.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. Places like this need to be shut down. I mean it. And remember, I am not one of those people who are not used to staying in small inexpensive hotels. This is by far the worst experience I have ever been in.

DO YOURSELVES, YOUR SPOUCE, YOUR CHILDREN, YOUR PETS, AND MAN KIND a favour and do nottttt book here. Pay the extra $20 a night and go else where. I recommend the Ramada by the Airport...AMAZING STAFF, clean rooms, great rates...that is where we ended up staying... LAST MINUTE...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank CDNXplorer
This guest accidently got sent to a room that had not been cleaned. After that, this guest would not be satisfied by any means. Making it more complicated was the fact she booked through Expedia, meaning refunds or other issues must be handled with Expedia. This is not our fault, and believe me, we are not the only Hotel that's accidently sent someone to a room that was not finished yet. We are sorry you were sent to that room, and for your trouble, but this review is so over the top and in some areas completely untruthful. The pool key situation is the most obvious to us, but I am not going to go into it or much else said here. Readers please note the reviews written just before and after this, thank you.
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Although the room's bathroom could have done with a bit of an overhaul, the room size was large and overall very clean. Convenient location to the airport but away from the traffic noise. The cost of the room with 2 double beds for 1 night was under $50 which I found to be great value. There's a nice green space with picnic tables as well. Unlike other reviews, the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TMLB
Thank you for your review!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed 2 nights & all was very good. Not sure what some other reviewers expect but levels were very much on par with any other motel in this price range. Staff was very helpful. Moved room to courtyard side upon request. Motel was quiet at night & room was clean. Would & likely will stay again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Hsquarz
Beverly M, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge & Suites Spokane, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for being understanding there, and stepping up with this review! I try not to make excuses for some of the issues this Hotel has had, and I understand why some people are upset at times. But I do think we provide great value with great rooms, location, and other amenities. When something is brought to our attention we do our best to make that customer happy and comfortable, and fix the problems as soon as possible. With 130 rooms it can be hard sometimes to find all the little things, but I feel we are doing better than ever at this time. Thanks again, and we hope to see you in your travels!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Worst hotel I ever stayed at . Dirty, blood (I think) on the carpet, tv didn't work, unsafe, nasty, filthy, smelled, loud, scary people and employees. I would have been cleaner and safer camping in the woods. Shame on this location and corp owner. Shut it down.

Stayed May 2012
I remember this guest, vividly. He was upset about something that has absolutely nothing to do with what he says in his review. This review should be removed as it is completely not valid and made out of anger. A very sad situation, I hope you find peace in your life.