“Excellent Pie”
Review of White Box Cafe and Bakery - CLOSED

White Box Cafe and Bakery
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Description: Our family started over thirteen years ago making homemade, from scratch pies packaged in a white bakery box wrapped in a ribbon. Hence the name WHITE BOX PIES. What started out as a 'mom and pop' venture, and has grown into a full time resturant and bakery experience. Shirley and John have brought years of experience to the table. Six years ago their daughter, Leigh, joined the family business and together they have produced delicious, homemade food...All from scratch. As our bakery grew we added cheesecakes, dessert bars, deli style sandwiches, fresh salads and soups, homemade pot pies, quiche', stuffed peppers, and twice baked potatoes. And just recently, our resturant had the opportunity to remodel and expand our seating, and add breakfast to our menu. We now have over 60+ seats available for our customers, to enjoy breakfast, lunch and desserts. Welcome to Whitebox Cafe' and Bakery!
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stopped in for lunch, four of us all ordered something different, I had the italian sandwich which was very good. Potato salad was kind of dry and blah, peach pie was excellent. Don't waste your time on their half sandwiches, cost difference is very little compared to the size different in a half and whole sandwich. Others had the melted ham sandwich and they said it was very good. Side salads are a joke, don't get that as your side. Apple pie was also excellent. I think they really could improve some on their sandwiches, but they have the pie thing down pat!

There are newer reviews for White Box Cafe and Bakery

Reviewed 25 September 2012

After having driven by dozens of times, and recently hearing a free spot on the radio for White Box, I decided to give it a go. I should have got up and went. I have been on a gluten free diet, by choice, after having read "Wheat Belly", as recommended by Bill O'Rielly. It is kind of hard to go to a restaurant and make your own menu, as people on different diets need to do, so I was excited to go into a place I thought would be friendly to my needs. They advertise that they are gluten free, I am now gluten free, this should be easy, I thought.

I also assumed that if they advertise this as a specialty, they should have some pretty tasty stuff, made just right for me. I was wrong-o.

When I approached the counter, I did have to wait for someone to see me and provide some attention, maybe a minut or so. I picked up a menu and asked if all of this was gluten free. The signage seemed to indicate that, but the menu was rather extensive, for a sandwich shop. The attendant just said no, but we can make most of the stuff gluten free. Okay. How do you do that? We put it on a gluten free bun.

That rules out all of the grilled sandwiches, and a lot of other stuff, so I settled for a Hawaiian Chicken sandwich, which came with a pea salad, all gluten free. Great. 20 minutes later, I get a goopy, drippy, messy mess on a stale rice flour bun. The parts that weren't too dry to eat were sogging up all the dressing on the slaw on the sandwich. Okay, skp the bread-like thing, I will use a fork. I am a foodie, and if they cooked that chicken there I am a monkey's uncle.

Skip it, I will just eat the pea salad, I thought. It was so completely bland, no flavor at all, tasted like it had been n the fridge for a week with the rice flour bun. Even the salt in the shaker had no flavor. Nothing could be done to save this lunch, not that anyone tried. It was 2:00 in the afternoon, and no one could be bothered to ask If I was enjoying my crap on a plate. No one could save the $13.00 I spent on a crappy sandwich, bland pea salad, and a bottle of tea either. I could have been in and out at D.Lish across the street for six bucks, easy.

1  Thank GregoryJohnson
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I'd been curious about White Box Pies for a while and finally made the trip down to try it. I ordered chicken pot pie, chili, and lemon meringue pie. The chx pot pie was decent. I had no real complaints, I've just had better elsewhere. The chili was good; I enjoyed it. I was most disappointed by the pie. I absolutely love Lemon Meringue and have ordered it in many places. This one from WBP was one of my least favorite. The custard didn't have enough lemon for my taste and the meringue had an odd flavor. I know their fruit pies are their specialty, so I'd give those a shot. The person at the counter was friendly and helpful. I liked the cozy atmosphere. I would go again to try out some other menu items because I desire to support local businesses.

1  Thank Amandaart
Reviewed 4 October 2011

White Box Pies offers much more than desserts, and yet, each of the items I've had have been high quality. This is a casual dining restaurant that has quite the lunch crowd (seating can get tight during the 12:00 hour). Their pies are fantastic, and I would recommend going with the peach pie if you have trouble making a choice from their myriad of pie selections.

Their nondessert choices are great as well, and the pastas would be worth a look as you order. Notably, this isn't the spot for an inexpensive, quick lunch, as the bill will typically run $8-$15. However, if you are one to pick quality, then White Box Pies is a great, locally owned place to swing by for a meal or dessert.