“Gluten-free joy!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 15 Bakeries in Spokane
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our family started over thirteen years ago making homemade, from scratch pies packaged in a white bakery box wrapped in a ribbon. Hence the name WHITE BOX PIES. What started out as a 'mom and pop' venture, and has grown into a full time resturant and bakery experience. Shirley and John have brought years of experience to the table. Six years ago their daughter, Leigh, joined the family business and together they have produced delicious, homemade food...All from scratch. As our bakery grew we added cheesecakes, dessert bars, deli style sandwiches, fresh salads and soups, homemade pot pies, quiche', stuffed peppers, and twice baked potatoes. And just recently, our resturant had the opportunity to remodel and expand our seating, and add breakfast to our menu. We now have over 60+ seats available for our customers, to enjoy breakfast, lunch and desserts. Welcome to Whitebox Cafe' and Bakery!
“Gluten-free joy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

I have been gluten free for six years and am delighted with White Box. The staff is kind and the food is great. I always order a whole sandwich on GF bread and take half home for later. I love the salad choices and usually buy two desserts to snack on for a few days. I meet friends here and sit for a long time with no comments from servers (as mentioned in a previous review). The GF buns are very good and can be adapted for all sandwiches. It's a treat to be able to order a french dip and pie for lunch and know I can eat it all. Thanks, White Box!

• Visited January 2013

“Rude Servers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I took a friend for lunch because I have lots of food restrictions. The food was okay but the service was rude. My friend and I hadn't seen each other in a while so we chatted after we ate. A server came up and asked us to leave. She said she there weren't enough tables. They were four free tables at the time. We weren't rude, we weren't loud and I'm generally a good tipper. I have never gone back, nor will I ever. I've traveled all over the world and this is the first time, besides in Paris, that I was treated so rudely.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bridgeport, Washington
“Excellent Pie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stopped in for lunch, four of us all ordered something different, I had the italian sandwich which was very good. Potato salad was kind of dry and blah, peach pie was excellent. Don't waste your time on their half sandwiches, cost difference is very little compared to the size different in a half and whole sandwich. Others had the melted ham sandwich and they said it was very good. Side salads are a joke, don't get that as your side. Apple pie was also excellent. I think they really could improve some on their sandwiches, but they have the pie thing down pat!

Visited October 2012
Spokane, Washington
“No Gluttony on Gluten Free Menu”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

After having driven by dozens of times, and recently hearing a free spot on the radio for White Box, I decided to give it a go. I should have got up and went. I have been on a gluten free diet, by choice, after having read "Wheat Belly", as recommended by Bill O'Rielly. It is kind of hard to go to a restaurant and make your own menu, as people on different diets need to do, so I was excited to go into a place I thought would be friendly to my needs. They advertise that they are gluten free, I am now gluten free, this should be easy, I thought.

I also assumed that if they advertise this as a specialty, they should have some pretty tasty stuff, made just right for me. I was wrong-o.

When I approached the counter, I did have to wait for someone to see me and provide some attention, maybe a minut or so. I picked up a menu and asked if all of this was gluten free. The signage seemed to indicate that, but the menu was rather extensive, for a sandwich shop. The attendant just said no, but we can make most of the stuff gluten free. Okay. How do you do that? We put it on a gluten free bun.

That rules out all of the grilled sandwiches, and a lot of other stuff, so I settled for a Hawaiian Chicken sandwich, which came with a pea salad, all gluten free. Great. 20 minutes later, I get a goopy, drippy, messy mess on a stale rice flour bun. The parts that weren't too dry to eat were sogging up all the dressing on the slaw on the sandwich. Okay, skp the bread-like thing, I will use a fork. I am a foodie, and if they cooked that chicken there I am a monkey's uncle.

Skip it, I will just eat the pea salad, I thought. It was so completely bland, no flavor at all, tasted like it had been n the fridge for a week with the rice flour bun. Even the salt in the shaker had no flavor. Nothing could be done to save this lunch, not that anyone tried. It was 2:00 in the afternoon, and no one could be bothered to ask If I was enjoying my crap on a plate. No one could save the $13.00 I spent on a crappy sandwich, bland pea salad, and a bottle of tea either. I could have been in and out at D.Lish across the street for six bucks, easy.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank GregoryJohnson
Spokane, Washington, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good enough but hoped for more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I'd been curious about White Box Pies for a while and finally made the trip down to try it. I ordered chicken pot pie, chili, and lemon meringue pie. The chx pot pie was decent. I had no real complaints, I've just had better elsewhere. The chili was good; I enjoyed it. I was most disappointed by the pie. I absolutely love Lemon Meringue and have ordered it in many places. This one from WBP was one of my least favorite. The custard didn't have enough lemon for my taste and the meringue had an odd flavor. I know their fruit pies are their specialty, so I'd give those a shot. The person at the counter was friendly and helpful. I liked the cozy atmosphere. I would go again to try out some other menu items because I desire to support local businesses.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Amandaart

Been to White Box Cafe and Bakery? Share your experiences!