“Busy but nice and worth it”

Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Last minute trip. We seem to be those kind of travelers! I did get a great discount through Groupon and felt like we got a great deal. I remember when this was the West Coast Hotel and one of the premiere places to stay in Spokane. Red Lion has done a good job taking over a facility that wasn't really built for traveling families. Our room was on the smallish side but my discount was so great that it was fine. Cute little balcony overlooking their fantastic pool. That is the reason I really booked there. It is a complete treat for families. Hours of fun! Be prepared for walking. It is a very large place so distance from "here to there" had us a bit worn out.If you are disabled or elderly the walking could be difficult. Also be prepared for a $30 deposit to be refunded back onto your card if no extra charges were made. I am waiting to make sure that shows back in my account in the next day or show. Parking is $9.00 extra. Not sure why. No snack machines for kids so grab something to put in your in room fridge if you need them. Very efficient staff, friendly, parking spots can be a bit tricky to find. The atmosphere was professional yet relaxed. I had a 12 and 13 year old boy(s) with me and they loved the place. Long review! We would go back again with some type of discounted rate.

Room Tip: We enjoyed over looking the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for the great feedback! I am truly happy you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We do have vending machines at the end of each hallway for your convenience. I apologize that we didn't offer any in-room snacks but this is of course to assist us in providing the best priced accommodations for all of our guests.

Brent A.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,730)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Let me start out by saying that the location of the Red Lion in Spokane is great. Our room was, for the most part, fine (4052) with a view of the pool and a deck the size of Kansas (well, that might be an overstatement, but it was the entire width of the building - for two of us, it was plenty of room!). That said, there were a few misses to note:

1. At check-in time of 3:00, our room was not ready. We were told it would be another 30 minutes which isn't a big deal, but we were tired and really wanted to get into our room. Because we had to wait, the front desk person gave us free parking for our two-day stay (which we very much appreciated since I don't think any hotel should EVER charge for parking). So - I guess that could be considered a positive in a negative situation.

2. The room was OK, but the windows were filthy, and the slider to the deck needed updating/cleaning, as did the light fixtures in the bathroom. They were pretty darned grubby.

3. The second day, our room was not made up. This isn't a big deal since we hung our towels up and who cares if our bed wasn't made. Still, it is a HUGE miss by the housekeeping department.

Would I stay here again? Maybe because of the location, but there are other choices and I might consider them in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your honest responses regarding your stay with us. I want to apologize that your room wasn't ready upon check-in time as well as your room not being serviced nor the exterior windows being clean. We value all comments both negative and positive as this will assist us in providing a great product for the future of all of our guests. Thank you and we hope that you will choose us when booking in Spokane.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here for several days while I was in town to run a half marathon. I arrived on 4th of July and the parking lot was crammed and the check-in line was long, but they did have overflow parking across the street and I was able to move my car the next day, once the 4th of July fireworks guests had checked out.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay. The room (a king bed room in the tower) was very spacious and quiet. The bed was decadently comfortable and room was clean and everything in working order.

I appreciated that there is a restaurant on-site and eating on the outdoor patio was wonderful. the service staff in the bar, the restaurant, the lobby breakfast buffet were all wonderful and friendly. Dinner in the formal restaurant was also very pleasant with excellent, attentive service. The menu is very good, quite creative, and I liked the wide selection of small plate meals. They also have room service which I used one night when I wasn't feeling well.

Everything is within walking distance through the Riverfront Park, very scenic. Lots of eating choices in town just across the river.

Only a couple of glitches during my stay, for example, the gal at the snack bar counter charged me a room service charge on my cappuccino, even though I bought it in person at the counter and despite my questioning her several times about the additional charge, she insisted it was correct. I did get it corrected the next day. It made me wonder how many folks paid it and didn't even notice. The overflowing parking lot was a bit of a turnoff when I first arrived since I didn't yet know about the overflow lot across the street. But after the first night, the lot was only 1/2 full for the rest of my stay. The bars of soap are small and dissipate after only a couple of uses in the shower, yet I never received replacement bars during the stay.

but these are all minor in the grand scheme and I would definitely stay here again if I ever come back to Spokane.

Room Tip: If you want quiet away from the pool noise, stay in the tower rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the minor billing and soap issues you came across but I am pleased we were able to address them and provide a solution. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Red Lion is without a doubt the best hotel value in Spokane - especially in the summer if you're travelling with kids. Their outdoor pool and water slide can't be beat, and their location on the river park makes this a great place to stay.
Throughout the summer, the river park in Spokane's city centre becomes an activity hub. We lucked out and showed up on a Wednesday evening in July to discover that there were free movies in the park playing every Wednesday for the entire month (Pitch Perfect was on, and the park was full of people of all ages on blankets enjoying a perfect summer night). In August, the park is home to Pig Out in the Park, a food fest that will satisfy your cravings from foie gras to deep fried twinkies :)
The room we had was a king room, immaculate and quiet with a great patio that overlooked the river. TV on demand, free parking, hot breakfast buffet and a late check out do we could enjoy the pool on a BRUTAL hot day: can't say enough great things about the service. Oh, and they're pet friendly too!!!
The food in the hotel restaurants was great and well priced.
The Red Lion is our favorite place to stay and we'll be back ASAP. Hope you enjoy it too!

• Stayed: July 2014
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for the kind comments. We like to think we are perfectly located in downtown Spokane. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Spent 5 nights here. Got 2 different rooms and the maids cleaned the room so nicely everyday. There was so much to do for 4 of us ages 66-3 that we didn't hardly leave the park and the hotel. Indoor and outdoor pool. Water was very cold in both despite the heat. Bar and food served late. Breakfast for kids 6 & under free. Shuttle service was great to go downtown. Complimentary bikes for guests to ride around places. First time to spokane loved our stay

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for the great comments! We are truly pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Please ask about our new complimentary bike rentals next time you are staying with us.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Rooms were mostly neat (hadn't been vacuumed) with all the amenities, outdoor pool lots of fun, location fantastic with lots to do within walking distance, fabulous hot breakfast and terrific coffee. Will be coming back for sure! Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
1  Thank Ann M
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your comments. I want to apologize for your room not being vacuumed prior to you arriving. I am however happy that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and we can't wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Vacation with kids on the way to canada. Great location by the riverfront park which is in itself reason to come here. But this place is enormous and seemed full of conventioneers who were more important than we were. Oh yes you pay to park for $8 here and you pay for a breakfast which is $12.95 per person. So we opted for the "windows" restaurant breakfast which was cheaper but had lousy service. Maybe another 2 wait staff? Spent our next two nights at another hometel, my kids word.

2  Thank ruckerco

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that we left a sour taste in your mouth regarding our staffing and friendliness. I can assure you that is not Red Lion stands for and we will be taking the necessary steps to improve in these areas.