“A few mistakes away from being awesome”

Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We had a nice time at the Red Lion At The Park. Location was outstanding, next to walking paths and close to downtown entertainment and restaurants. The lobby and dining area are fun, comfortable and inviting. The family enjoyed the nice swimming pool and water slide. Dinner at the lounge was great. The adult Mac and Cheese and Bison Burger were both delicious. There were some issues however. The first room we were given had not been made up by house keeping and I thought we were walking into someone else's room which was uncomfortable. The breakfast buffet was some good some bad. Liked the bacon and fresh fruit. French toast was cold and chef took the spoons away from chafing dishes just as we came up. Three minutes later someone returned with dirty spoons and trays. Eww. The "server" at the buffet was only mildly attentive and I bussed our own table finally putting dirty dishes onto an empty one. The wifi connection was spotty in the room we ended up in. Lastly, room service took an hour and a half to deliver breakfast to my kids so we had to ask for a late check out. We have stayed here before and have always had a good time. I really wanted to rank the hotel higher but just a few too many issues. Maybe a little bad luck but certainly some room for improvement too. This place is a few mistakes away from being awesome. We would probably give them another chance next time we visit Spokane.

Room Tip: Poor wifi in 1067
1  Thank Spirittalk
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for providing us with a thorough description of your experience on this recent stay. I appreciate your level of detail in both the positive and challenging aspects. We recognize our staff on the successes and strive to improve in the areas you experienced a difficulty. We'll investigate the potential cause for slow WiFi in your room, so there is not an issue with this moving forward. The dining-related comments will be forwarded to our Director of Food and Beverage so we can curb any potential concerns like you mentioned. Still though, we do hope you'll try us again in the future so we can provide the type of service that will help us reach that next level of feedback from you.

Brent A.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The location was excellent - shopping & dinner downtown - with the riverfront park just steps away. The outdoor pool was amazing although they could use more chairs and tables as the place was packed on a hot August weekend.

The room was plenty big and clean - the entire hotel felt very comfortable and a little bit fancier than we were expecting.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for the kind comments about your recent stay with us! I'm glad to find that it was a nice summer getaway for you and that you found both a high-value and high-satisfaction experience. We love being so close to downtown Spokane and it's great to hear you found this location to be convenient and fun. There's so much to explore and enjoy downtown, and then you get to come back to Spokane's largest outdoor hotel pool to relax and recharge! Come back soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We switched reservations from a different hotel, to the Red Lion, largely because of the outdoor pool with the fancy slide and waterfall (we had 2 kids, 5 and 9, with us).

The pool was a little colder than at most other hotels I've stayed at - and the rack of pool-towels (for both the outdoor & indoor pool) seemed to be perpetually out of fresh towels - the used-towel bin was constantly full.

The room was comfortable, and we loved having a balcony.
The one draw-back - the room needs better lighting - perhaps a nice, bright ceiling light, instead of just the table-lamps.

Having a separate second sink outside the bathroom was very helpful.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony that faces the outdoor pool, you have to book waaaayyy in advance (so we were...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for sharing about your stay at our hotel. I'm glad to hear it was enjoyable and that you found our hotel based on the fun pool slide and family-friendly atmosphere. While we do keep the pool heated at 80 F, we'll have our Engineering team do some extra temperature checks to ensure it is staying at its proper level. We'll also be sure to increase our number of re-stocking runs to the towel area. Still, I'm glad to hear you were pleased with the accommodations in your room, and that the balcony provided an extra touch of comfort. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a very good hotel with an unbeatable location. It is great for families. You are just steps away from Riverfront Park, a very easy walk across an adjacent footbridge. The park has a lot to offer for families and it is a pleasant place to simply stroll around. When you emerge at the south end of the park, you are on Riverside Drive, which is right in downtown Spokane.

The hotel is one of the very few in Spokane with an outdoor pool and the only hotel with an outdoor pool located close to downtown and Riverfront Park. The pool is very side, good sized and has a nice waterslide. The only downside to the pool is that there simply aren't enough chaise lounges (about 8 or 10 by my count). Accordingly, these are at a premium and if you don't get there early (i.e., 8:00 a.m., right when the pool opens) you either won't get one or will wait a very long time to get one. This is a shame because the pool deck is large enough to accommodate another 20 chaises.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

I appreciate the kind comments about your stay with us and the enjoyment our location and pool brought to your family. It's true our location is perfect -- only steps away from the downtown Spokane area that's teeming with great restaurants like Sante or the Onion, and fun things to do like Mobius Kids or DIY art stores. We've noted your feedback about the chaise lounges and our General Manager and Director of Engineering will assess the situation and make any necessary adjustments. Thank you so much for staying with us!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Location: Perfect. Right at the Riverpark, easy walk to downtown Spokane and Gonzaga. Had no hot water in the shower, but they were quick to fix it, and did offer to switch my room, but I opted to stay and wait. No coffee in my room, and waited 30 minutes for someone to bring it, no one showed up, so I had to go downstairs, but they did give me a free cup. The staff, for the most part was very nice.
I would probably stay here again, if just for the location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our location so much, and I agree it's nice to be so close to the Riverfront Park. It's a beautiful park and it just got the go-ahead for a multi-million dollar upgrade project! Also, thank you for commenting on the concerns you experienced, but also the resolution that was provided. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff and their efforts to make your stay more comfortable. We hope to see you again soon!

Brent A

Reviewed 7 August 2014

When we first checked in we received a room on the first floor at the end of a hallway next to the door. We have a baby so that wasn't ideal seeing as people would be coming and going all night but when I asked at the front desk if there was anything else available I was told I shouldn't have a problem with that room. Seeing as I didn't have a whole lot of choice we moved our stuff in.
We gave a baby so I had to put her food in the fridge, on top of the fridge to my delight was an empty case of beer and a half full can, behind the flat screen tv there was also an empty pack of cigarettes in my "non smoking" room, glad to see that the room was cleaned prior to my stay. I again went to the front desk and asked if I could upgrade do something to change rooms, the girl at the front desk didn't really know and went to the back. A couple of minutes later a person whom I believe was named Tracy came out, I told her again that my room had not been cleaned all that well and I'd like to change rooms I'd like to upgrade to something in the tower if possible. She made a face like oh that's gross when I mentioned that the room still had garbage from the previous guest and said that it would be "30 or 40 bucks" (I looked online it's a $10 difference) so I just left it and went to the pool. The rest of the stay was without incident there were a bunch of bugs in the bathroom but nothing you wouldn't find in Mexico. I went to the front desk to check out and met the same lady I believe her name was Tracy that I had talked to two days prior she seemed puzzled and asked me why I'm checking out at the desk and had I not received my bill under the door, I replied the garbage that I told you about 2 days ago is still where it was and to please ensure it is cleaned for the next guest here's the room number.

The beds were comfortable if you have wheelchair or large stroller it won't fit past this counter they placed in the middle of the entrance, but for what they aspire to be they are not. As a part of the promo I booked under I'm entitled to a free night in the fall I hop it's at any property because I will not be returing to thus one.

1  Thank George C
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for submitting this helpful review about your stay. I'm very sorry for the treatment you received from one of our Front Desk staff. We'll definitely advise her on how to handle this sort of situation properly. The lack of cleanliness of your room is far below our standards, and I apologize you experienced this. It is our desire that every guest gets top notch service and very comfortable accommodations. I do hope to welcome you back again so we can provide, not only a great pool, but also a welcoming and pleasant experience throughout the hotel.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was our quick family getaway for the summer. Spokane is a cute little city, and we booked this hotel based on the location, breakfast (or so we thought) and the pool. We have 4 kids so these are all important. Pros- location was excellent! We walked through River park right behind the hotel to get to all the great shopping, activities and restaurants. The pool was nice, the waterslide was lots of fun. The rooms were spacious too. Cons- the "roaring start breakfast" was supposed to be 10 and under free (we have 2 under 10, so this was important) but when we arrived it was 6 and under. The service wasn't great- but we had the same server at the pool and for breakfast so maybe its not fair to generalize. However, she was rude and unhelpful. The beds were filthy when we arrived, hair and crumbs in the bed:( We called down and asked to have the sheets changed and they came up and straightened them out but the same hair and crumbs were still there! So we had to call again. We had to ask each day if we could have the floors vacuumed. There was a wedding on the SAturday night, we were on the 10th floor of the tower and the wedding is on the 12 floor, we heard everything until about 11:30, which wasn't too late.
The staff around the building was nice and always said hello. All in all it was okay, great value- the rooms were priced well, but I would research some other places around there first

1  Thank Jen T
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for providing this review of your stay with us. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed visiting Spokane and had several good experiences at our hotel as well. Still, the challenging aspects of your stay are important to us, and we'll work to resolve them. It's not acceptable for us to miss room cleanliness standards, and we'll discuss this with our housekeeping team. While the breakfast is, indeed, free for kids 6 and under, we apologize for this not being more clearly communicated ahead of time. It's great that you got a chance to experience Spokane, and we're pleased to find that our staff were all very friendly to you. We hope to welcome you back so that we can provide you with the exceptional service and experience you deserve!