“Italian was what we were looking for”

Ferraro's Home Made Italian
Ranked #124 of 880 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Tucson, Arizona
“Italian was what we were looking for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Found this place on the way through Spokane. It was easy to find. It was such a pleasant place. Customer service was impeccable from the moment we walked in the door. We were seated and served quickly on a busy Friday night. The place is big and can seat all sizes of parties. We had four different dishes, and they were all very good. The seafood fettuccini had fresh steamer clams, which I did not expect. The sizes were ample. We all took home 1/2 of our dinner. It was exactly what we were looking for: reasonableness priced popular Italian food.

• Visited August 2014

Spokane, Washington
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

This place is pretty underwhelming. I had the eggplant Parmesan. It came deep fried in a rock hard crust. I'm not sure what region of Italy cooks eggplant like this. My wife had the lunch portion of spaghetti and mushrooms, which consisted of packaged pasta, white mushrooms, and sauce. To be fair, the sauce seemed to be homemade, and it was good. But that is the only thing I can recommend, and that is just not enough to justify their prices. All I can say to the folks who are recommending this place is that if you ever travel to Florence, Italy or Northern NJ, please email me. I have some recommendations that are going to knock your socks off.

Visited July 2014
Spokane, Washington
“Chef Boyardee is Better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch, the atmosphere is ok but nothing special. Old wrinkly carpet, light oak furniture doesn't fit with the dark built in bar and banister, weren't busy but our service was still slow. Ordered salads I had the Caesar with shrimp my husband had a Chef salad, when they finally arrived it was completely disappointing, my Caesar had huge tough pieces of romaine with almost no dressing 6 teenie tasteless shrimp, a green unripe hacked up tomato strewn around the rim and dry cheese from a can tossed on it. My husband's chef salad was not any better, it looked like someone literally grabbed the ham threw it on one side jammed the gray chicken pieces on the other took a hard boiled egg plopped it in the middle
and shoved it out the service window. Bottled dressing in a plastic dipping cup came on the side. The waitress came around and did notice that there was no dressing on my salad, when she brought some it wasn't worth pouring it on the tough greens. I have tried lunch there once before ordered a meatball sandwich it was not homemade. I asked the waitress if they make their own pasta she told me no, meatballs...no, ravioli..nope! She actually as asked me how my salad was I pointed out the issues, told her it rated a fail she agreed and took it away and returned with the check. She didn't ask me if I wanted another item on the menu :( We will not be returning.

• Visited June 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
“Quiet, comfortable, and tasty food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

The service was impeccable. Great pasta, including gluten free. The marinara tasted fresh and homemade...excellent!!!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Lorie H
Vincent, Ohio
“Authentic Italian Food and Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

In our cross-country jaunt, as we headed back home from Seattle to Ohio, we stopped overnight in Spokane, Washington. I asked at the front desk at our hotel about a recommendation for dinner. The desk clerk simply pointed across the street to a sort of modern-style Swiss Chalet place with the words "Ferraro's Italian Restaurant" emblazoned upon the awning. He said he and his girlfriend loved it. We decided to see if he knew what he was talking about.

The main problem was simply getting across the six lanes of busy North Division Street. There was no crosswalk in sight. Despite the short distance, we decided driving would be safer than dodging rush-hour traffic on foot. We made it safely and were early for the dinner crowd. The server sat us at a prime booth before a window overlooking the potentially deadly thoroughfare. In gazing about, the decor and ambience seemed as authentically Italian as one might expect in eastern Washington. Dean Martin was crooning when we came in, some Italian tenor was carrying on during much of our dinner.

The centerpiece of the dark-wood decor was a 19th century mirrored backdrop behind the bar, intricately carved in a Baroque style by an artisan who knew his way around a woodshop. Our server told us it had been transplanted from the chapel of a local orphanage. The beveled mirrors had likely replaced painted religious panels. In the center were taps for four draft beers. The bar itself and much of the rest of the woodwork, had either come from the same source or been carved to match.

I was combatting a spring cold so my appetite was not what it should have been in taking in on Italian menu as extensive as Ferraro's (if it even SOUNDED Italian, it was there). I chose a "bundled" salad, chicken fettuccini Alfredo, and spumoni deal for around $12. My wife had a simililar "bundle" with lasagna, which she devoured with great gusto. She asked, "what's spumoni?" I told her I'd had it before, many years ago, but I couldn't recall exactly what it was. It turned out to be red, green, and black ice cream (cherry, pistachio, and chocolate) the colors of the Italian flag. The fettuccini dish was good, though my taste buds, not to mention my appetite, were not up to savoring it (or finishing it) as I'd have liked. The spumoni was great though. I finished what my wife didn't care for. The bill with tax and tip came to around $30.

The Ferraro family is as authentically Italian as their food. My salad had both banana peppers and black olives--a little TOO authentic for my taste. The house Italian dressing was good, though. Owner, Pat Ferraro, came to this country in 1962 with his parents and his authentically Italian mother's talent for bellissimo cooking. Pat's son, Jason, is now carrying on the family's gourmet traditions. The family has two restaurants in Spokane, the one we came upon at 3022 North Division Streeet, and a second at 11204 East Sprague Avenue. Just be careful crossing the street. The food is good but not worth getting run down in getting there.

• Visited May 2014