“What a gem!!”
Review of The Odell House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Spokane
The Odell House
Ranked #8 of 13 Spokane B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Lethbridge, Canada
“What a gem!!”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Eclectic décor, attention to every detail, easy to get to - $1.50 city transit from the airport within one block!!! Tons of room, beautiful linens. Every accommodation provided down to a cell phone and an alarm clock. Thank you!!! Will be back again.

Room Tip: Sunroom in the Wakefield apartment is outstanding.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
forbzilla, Owner at The Odell House, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
What a nice comment, from a very nice guest!
I wanted to both say thanks and clarify what we offer at the Odell House. Fifteen years ago, when we first started renting furnished apartments to guests, we had phones in every unit. Then, along came the cell phone, dial up Internet went the way of the dinosaur, and most people had no use for a phone--nor an alarm clock. They carried their own.

Currently we find people are even leaving the laptop at home, happily tablet-computing their way across America--cell phone in the other hand. So now we have very, very fast wireless and wired Internet service which powers many popular devices. We also have ONE loaner cell phone that can be used for domestic calls while a guest is here. Not many bells and whistles, but it will get you a cab if you want it.

The trick is, you have to ask. And, as this nice guest from Canada found that her cell phone did not work here, she cleverly made it known that she needed a device. We just about instantly provided it. That would not have worked nearly as well had another guest reserved it--which we hope, now knowing that it is possible, our guests will!
With a business that cares--and we surely do--the trick to getting what you want is to make known what you want!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The location, antiques and comfort will bring us back to Odell House in lovely Spokane, Washington. Our maiden trip to this people friendly city was a real treat and we enjoyed the walk from Odell House into downtown Riverfront Spokane. Our hosts at Odell House upgraded our accommodation, parking was provided, neighborhood was adorned with old beautiful heritage homes.

Thank you Dale!

Room Tip: We were upgrade into "B Next Door", it was very quiet and we felt at home.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
forbzilla, Owner at The Odell House, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words! Your communication and thoughtfulness are sincerely appreciated. You made it very easy for us and we hope you will be back very soon for another visit--please ask for the upgrade that I have noted in your file. :)
Summerland, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was thrilled that we could bring our dear old Gypsy girl to this interesting mansion. It was perfectly comfortable, and we were right next to the door so letting the dog out was easy. What a great place to walk, very cool old mansions everywhere and a park around the corner. Close to downtown, we had no problems finding it and there is a grocery store and restaurants very near by.
Suite C was large and unusual, perhaps the butler's quarters? It's not for those how are afraid of a few dusty corners and aged furniture. The bed was perfect and clean, but the bedroom is indeed oddly designed, I guess built for a small single bed only. The bathroom was quirky, but fine.
We had great communication with Dale, although never saw her. Much more fun than a boring hotel.

Room Tip: Suite C is great for family and your dog. Make your own meals, 2 TV's. Close to dining out and g...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
forbzilla, Owner at The Odell House, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
What a great guess about apartment C in the Odell House!

It was indeed the servants part of this large house which was converted to six apartments in 1922. Unit C, the Family Apartment was the original kitchen and back stair area of the house. We recommend it for families with small children and people with pets because it is less formal than other parts of the house. All the units are different and it is a matter of choosing which one you think suits you the best--unless you have a pet and then for the sake of the other guests who may have allergies, then your choices are limited.

If you want huge rooms, stained glass, natural woodwork, and fabulous views, choose the Portico or the North River View--all a bit more expensive, larger and thoroughly grand. If on a budget, or a special guest makes the ground floor attractive, then choose The Hobbit Hole Apartment, The Family Apartment (C) or Next Door (B) (An allergy unit for those interested, a large lovely studio with beautiful Deco glass and private porches. Right next to our EV charging station).

The trouble with reviews of our two houses, The Wakefield and Odell House, which sit across the street form one another, is that no two units are the same: the size ranges from 300 square feet to 1200 square feet. Prices run from $40 a night (monthly rate) or between $85 and $155 for a nightly rate.
The trick is knowing what is important to you. We love questions--please ask!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed in the Wakefield house, across from Odell house. Dale provided me with detailed email directions about how to get in once I arrived and told me about wifi.

I didn't expect a little apartment! The suite had a bedroom, bathroom, sitting room and kitchen! It was decorated with beautiful antiques. The kitchen was very well stocked with pots, pans, utensils etc. the washroom was stocked with organic lavender shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion.

The bed was very comfortable and I got a restful sleep while there. The suite was very clean and smelled like essential oils.

I walked downtown from Wakefield house. It was about a 20 minute walk through a lovely neighborhood. I loved the location of Wakefield house.

Thinking back, my one concern was low water pressure in the shower. Otherwise no complaints.

I would most definitely stay here again and recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
forbzilla, Owner at The Odell House, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and to help us with your feedback.

Seeing a possible problem with the shower, I went and checked the Wakefield River View unit where this guest stayed and found the flow limiter on the shower head needed to be cleared. (This happens sometimes after water has been shut off in the house for plumbing updates). The historic lounging tubs are a great thing in old houses, the ancient pipes not so great! Thanks for your help in making things better for the next guest--safe travels--Dale
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The place is nice and neat. The apartment we stayed is well decorated with paintings and sculptures. Decent decor.
Plenty of utensils in the kitchen, making it very convenient to cook. The bathroom is very comfortable, with high-quality towels and toiletries.
This place is quite close to downtown. Many facilities are within walking distance. We actually walked to the nearby grocery store several times!
The front porch adds to the attraction of this place. If it had been summer times, I would've definitely spent more time sitting there and relaxing!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mxue
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 16 September 2012

i just spent the weekend in this lovely home - my location fell trhough for a shower and i was freaking out - not only did they give me an amazing apartment that i could cook , live in with my puppy but they offered me the art gallery and the front porch - amazing

this is the best location, people that run the location etc that i have ever stayed in in spokane let alone anywhere in washington -- i would stay there again in a second and can't wait to go back :) thank you for saving my butt and being the most amazing host and hostess ever!

Room Tip: you can ask for the pet apartment / family apartment you can even sleep in the gallery!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Charla P
forbzilla, Owner at The Odell House, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you!
It was our complete pleasure to help with this weekend stay and event--a very charming baby shower for a friend at distance. Your communications were perfect and that made it easy for us to do as asked--which is our goal! (Notably, you used the same unit described as "just okay" in a previous post and did not find the original claw foot tub bathroom at all frightening--brave soul! :)

We're very happy you (and your very lovely French Bulldog companion) found it to your liking =:~
Hope to see you two again soon. With warm regards, Dale and Rick
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I wrote a review back in 2010 of my stay at the Odell House property, and since then I've visited several more times and stayed in nearly every unit that is available. It continues to be a pleasant, tidy, and well-maintained place for either long or short term visits (my stays have ranged in length between a week and a month). I'd still rate it as an excellent spot for families, lovers of antique homes, and travelers on a budget alike.

Reading the most recent review ("Canadian Travel Bugs") frankly I was offended on behalf of the owner. It sounds like what these people really wanted was to stay at a chain hotel where the appliances are thrown away every six weeks. Not only would that experience have probably cost them double what it cost to stay in Apt. C (which is one of the less fancy units in the house, but still very nice) they would not have gotten the same standard of class and decor, or the degree of environmental consciousness, that is found at the Odell House. Having stayed in C myself in the past, their concerns about a shower curtain that "could fall down at any time" were simply laughable.

It is just a fact that historic homes converted to be traveler-friendly require some creative solutions to update the plumbing, electricity, give free internet access, etc. Also, had they brought their concerns up to the management during their stay, I am sure they could have been satisfied as Dale and Rick have always been extremely accommodating to me whenever any minor issue arose.

If someone wants a bland hotel experience there are many places that will cater to that, but when visiting Spokane I would say it is a missed opportunity if you do not take advantage of the great historic homes that are available, especially given their extremely competitive rates. The Odell House remains my top choice whenever travels bring me to the Spokane area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo