“You Won't Want To Leave. We Didn't Leave.”

The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is the hotel I measure all others against.

My husband and I first stayed at The Davenport Historic Hotel for our Honeymoon. We returned for our first anniversary. I'm a foodie and I love good wine so I had a list of places we were going to visit while we were in Spokane. Caterina, Boots Bakery, Nectar, Sante, Luna, Arbor Crest and Scratch.

We checked in on Friday afternoon ... and didn't leave until Sunday morning because we were obligated to make our way to Arbor Crest (which was good call because their Dionysus is lovely). When we finally left on Monday, we knew returning to everyday life would be difficult.

We ate room service for dinner, breakfast, lunch, dinner, breakfast, dinner and breakfast. And it was possibly the best room service, both in terms of fare and staff) I've ever had. Strike that. It was definitely the best room service I've ever had. We managed to make it down to the Palm Court so I could have a Crab Louie Salad in front of the massive marble fireplace because I love doing that but other than that, we ate in our room.

On Sunday, when we left the hotel for Arbor Crest, we had the Palm Court pack us a fruit and cheese plate to take with us - and that was an excellent call. So was the Town Car.

Everything about this restored property is lovely. The marble, the oak, the ballrooms, the sitting areas, the rooms, the room furniture, the bathtubs - oh, and the Celadon bath products. It's a scent that whispers elegance to me. The beds are ridiculous. We are purchasing one.

For the luxury you receive, this hotel is incredibly and fairly priced. Do yourself the favor. Stay here.

Room Tip: Stay in the Historic Hotel and get yourself a deluxe room because the bathtubs are to die for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NCentralIdaho

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed in the Davenport Tower hotel recently. My room was clean, and the staff was exceedingly friendly. But the Tower is soulless. I wish I had stayed at the older hotel building. Even approaching the Tower, you can tell it won't have any charm or character. It's a tall box, off white in color. Inside, the lobby tries to make up for its charmlessness by hanging fake elephant heads around. That doesn't work. Nor does the safari aesthetic -- i.e. leopard print fabric -- throughout the hotel. The construction was cheap. The bathroom is not tiled, except for the shower. A lot of TripAdvisor reviewers complained about the soap dispensers. I will too: I dont care about getting soap through a dispenser, but I wish mine wasn't made from cheap plastic and didn't keep shaking every time I used it. I didn't see the rooms in the older hotel building across the street, but the lobby had all of the character and history that the Tower's lacked. If there is a next time, I will stay there.

1  Thank JRo70
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback and most recent experience. This is good information for our team to consider and we do appreciate how candid you were. We are pleased that we do have the ability to offer a variety of options for our guests in providing lodging options at The historic Davenport Hotel, The Davenport Tower, and our boutique option, Hotel Lusso. We do indeed hope your travels bring you back to Spokane so you are able to experience one of our other properties! Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards ~

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Great service, unique ornate historic design. Felt like I was in Versailles in the 1800s in the lobby minus the Starbucks. Nice place to stay.

Rooms are large and clean and beds are very comfortable. Area is nice with great shopping. Stayed here for business and would choose again

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a lovely property and my husband and I enjoyed our one-night stay here very much. It has been meticulously restored and renovated. We booked into a deluxe queen room which had two queen beds. The room was a very good size with nice windows and a deluxe all marble bathroom. The bathroom was two separate rooms, one with sinks and closet area, the other with a large soaker tub and huge walk-in shower and toilet area. Towels were average quality, surprising for such an upscale hotel.

The beds were, as everyone mentions, very comfortable and the linens were good quality and the pillows were very nice as well.

Now I have a major quibble with this hotel, which is why I'm only rating it at 4 stars: They need to rethink their policy of no coffee makers in the rooms. And no, I do not believe it is because they are trying to be "green". If that was the case they would have blue recycling bins in the rooms, which they do not (and they should!) This is, plain and simple, a cost-cutting measure and one I do not appreciate. I like to get up and make myself a cup of coffee in the room and I believe a lot of other guests do as well. Many upscale hotels we have stayed in lately have put in more high-end coffee makers such as Keurig or Tassimo. We are currently staying in a Fairmont hotel which has the Keurig coffee maker. I do not want to dress and go down to the lobby for a cup of coffee, nor do I wish to order one from room service. This is a basic service which hotels from Days Inn to Waldorf Astoria have provided for their guests forever. So please don't try and pass it off as being more environmentally friendly, it is just CHEAP!

And that goes for the tacky dispensers with shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. CHEAP!

The staff here are very nice and helpful and we can't say enough about them.

The parking garage for self-parking is across the street from the hotel and we thought it was a bargain at $15.00/day.

We had dinner across the street in the Davenport Tower Safari lounge and food was reasonably priced and decent quality.

Overall, a very nice hotel to stay in overnight on our way to Seattle.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

So, why only a 4 out of 5 after such a glowing title? Coffee! No coffee maker in the room. I requested one at the front desk (like you can do at Kimpton properties). I was told that was not possible, and that I could take the elevator down to the lobby and purchase coffee at the Starbucks, or I could order coffee from room service ($6 a pot, plus service charge, plus delivery charge, plus gratuity). First, my routine is to roll out of bed when the alarm goes off, and stumble to the coffee maker in an effort to regain consciousness (can you tell I'm not a morning person?). The absolute last thing I'm going to do is throw on clothes, try to get the hair to look less wild than Einstein's, and fumble my way down to a crowded lobby that will likely require me to come face-to-face with co-workers who are here for the same conference. Peeve #1. Peeve #2 is paying $10 for morning coffee from Room Service. Apparently, I am not alone. Several of us were grousing about this at the meeting.

So, why did I still give it 4 out of 5? Because the hotel is a treasure, the bed was sublime, and the food was spectacular. Please supply in-room coffee makers (if only by request). It matters to some of us who spend a lot of time on the road.

1  Thank RaymondD
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I held a three-day business meeting here for 30 clients and I'd have to say it was very nicely done. The meeting room and service were spot on and the hotel rooms were outstanding and a very good value. Of course the hotel itself is spectacular and worth the visit by itself. We actually met in the Hotel Lusso, which is right across the street from the Historic Davenport, but it was also very classy and a bit eclectic. Overall, I would highly recommend this venue for business meetings.

Room Tip: Remember this is downtown so the street noise can be an issue so higher up the better
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The remodeled Davenport has been brought back to life. There is a walking tour of the hotel and the half hour to one hour spent is well worth it! The ballrooms were beautiful and the woodwork and carvings were indescribable. The Peacock Lounge has a stained glass ceiling of a peacock that is unbelievable.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The Sunday brunch was fabulous and our stay was one to remember.

Room Tip: We stayed in the old part. We heard no noise and the rooms were lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family