“The best in Washinton's Inland Impire”

The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“The best in Washinton's Inland Impire”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Spokane is the heart of Washinton's Inland Impire and The Davenport is the jewel hotel for that region. We have stayed at The Davenport several times for work and pleasure and everytime was a great experience. If you go to The Davenport make sure you try to stay in the historic hotel and not the tower across the street. Nothing against the tower but the old hotel part is very historic and was quite the gathering place back in the day for the rich and famous. They still have the original ballroom and other really cool rooms. Very decadent rooms and cool to walk through and admire. I've always enjoyed the rooms we've stayed in.
If you like to watch trains stay in the higher floors on the southside. Spokane has a very busy raised train viaduct that runs right through downtown which is the main east-west tracks for the northern U.S. Freight and passenger trains run day and night. You are close enough for a great view but far enough away to avoid the noise.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Allen C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We chose this hotel based on reviews on forums. We wanted one close to the Spokane Arena as we were there for a Pearl Jam Concert on 30th November 2013.

We were only staying here for one night (in a tower room) so didn't get a full taste of what was on offer but what we did get was a top quality experience. We were valeted and checked in very quickly, the staff were friendly and very helpful. I don't like 'snooty' hotels and with this hotel which, although obviously a high standard hotel, I felt right at home. The staff laid on shuttle buses to and from the arena, very handy so we didn't need to take the car or a cab. Apparently there were about 100 guests going from there to the Pearl Jam concert that night.

We arrived back worn out from an excellent evening to find the bed had been turned down and complimentary biscuits placed there. What can I say about that bed?... One of the most comfortable sleeps I've had in any hotel I've stayed at.... I swear there was enough room for 4 people in that bed! No hassle checking out in the morning, quick and easy, just the way we like it.

If we were ever back in town we would definitely book to stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
East Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

While making a reservation at the lobby desk, I asked for a room for 2 people for one night. The reservation clerk asked "oh, a romantic getaway or plans to hit the concert?" I replied neither I was there with my adult son and would like a 2 queen room. He proceeded to inform me there was only a room available in the Tower. I was fine with that. We got to the room only to see it was a 1 king room. We decided it was ok, we were tired. I then set the thermostat to 76 as it was very cold. We went to dinner came back only to see the room temp was still very cold. I called the front desk and was told they would set the thermostat remotely. So we got ready for bed. The phone rang the front desk said "mam, we have someone from engineering at your door to check the thermostat" . I let the guy in and it took a few minutes to resolve the issue. All ok....
In the morning we ordered room service and then realized there was only the computer chair for seating. I ended up eating breakfast awkwardly on the bed. Seems there could have been other seating in the room. There was only an uncomfortable curved chaise and computer chair only.
I talked to the desk when checking out and explained the glitches. I told her we stay here frequently (main hotel)and would be staying there the next several weeks (medical treatment) It would have been nice to get a complimentary drink or a discount coupon. Oh well.
I may look into a different hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have noted your preferences in your guest profile, and will work to ensure you are placed in the historic hotel for your reservations, as long as availability allows for this. Again, we do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, but are confident that your future stays will be more enjoyable.

West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here for three nights and was quite impressed. The hotel was built in the early 1900's and the décor is still the same with ornately carved ceilings and details, almost Versailles-like. My room was large, quiet and the bed super comfortable. The bathroom is updated but in keeping with the posh décor. The staff was friendly and service was excellent. I especially liked the friendly doorman who was dressed in a suit like the original doorman probably wore. The food was awesome. You would expect to pay a fortune for such a nice stay but the rates are amazingly reasonable. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want old world charm, stay in the original hotel. If you want something a little more trendy...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen H
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed here on business for two nights. The hotel looks beautiful and the rooms are comfortable. Most of the staff was excellent but the wait times at the check-in desk got to be a little annoying and they seemed slightly irritated with any questions I had. Also the wait times in the restaurant were pretty bad too.

I utilized the van they had available and the driver was kind and accommodating. Parking was pricey but there was no way I would park on the streets, the valet staff was wonderful.

The location of the hotel is near the bus station and there are several homeless folk roaming about at night that was a bit unnerving if you are alone.

All in all, I would stay again. The bed was VERY comfortable, the staff mostly friendly and my room was very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Also, thank you for the kind words regarding our valet and transportation staff ~ these comments will surely be passed along! As we mentioned in the other review that you wrote, we will be sharing the comments you had regarding service in our restaurant and at check in, with the managers in those areas in hopes of preventing further occurrences in the future. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is truly appreciated.

Grandview, Missouri
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is the first negative review I've written for any hotel, restaurant or travel experience. Though it's been more than a month since our stay at the Davenport, our experience was so odious, I still feel compelled to issue my review as a note of warning. (Especially in light of the fact that mgt appears to be "filtering" more critical evaluations of the Davenport.)
We had spent a charming week in the Canadian Rockies; drove back to Spokane and figured an old romantic hotel would be a fitting cap to our 8-day trek. We arrived at the Hotel & Tower complex around dusk and were twice advised to not park on the street because of the likelihood of having our vehicle vandalized. Hence, the parking option that remained was to swallow a $20 parking fee (not advertised) and park in the Towers. As kind as he was, I felt no obligation tip the valet, himself.
Yes, the interior lobby areas were striking and stately, but they were equally arcane and dark.
When my wife and I finally arrived at our room we were dismayed to discover it smelled of mold. Double-checking with the desk we were politely but firmly told there were no other rooms available for the evening.
Factoring the parking fiasco, the difficulty of accessing a squalid, downtown area and the affront of the overall experience, we'd have had a much better evening staying in a clean inn on the edge of town and saved half the price.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere for half the price.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Xaris4u
Thank you for choosing to stay with us following your vacation ~ we are disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your stay. In regards to the parking, it is safer to park in the hotel garage, and like the majority of the hotels in the downtown area, we do charge for parking. There are also signed posted at the entrance and valet desks regarding the prices. We apologize that the agents did not also make you aware. Also, we apologize that we were not able to get you into another room, as we were quite busy with no rooms to spare. Furthermore, regarding your comment to "filtering" critical evaluations ~ this is not allowed on this particular site, so this is not true. The comments you read are unsolicited and honest opinions of our guests ~ both positive and critical. We do appreciate any constructive criticism we receive in the hope that it will assist in making future guests' stays as enjoyable as possible. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Bozeman
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I love old hotels and this one didn't disappoint. Beautiful architecture, comfortable rooms and fine service.

A few downers. Check in was chaotic. Made reservation with Amex travel and confirmation said " tower". Registration clerk at the tower told me (snippy) that it was mistaken because I made it thru hotels.com. Once we got to the old hotel though it was really professional. Also the service in the restaurant was poor (the food was good) and the hot tub was a bit cool.

Loved the Parrot bar and also the service. Great stay overall.

Stayed November 2013