“Unhappy Valentines Night”

The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The Davenport is a gorgeous hotel. Very elegant. Love the beds....However....

We checked in early afternoon...Was put on the 9th floor over looking Southside of Spokane...and by Southside, I mean the railroad tracks...and by railroad tracks, I mean very active railroad tracks...once an hour on the hour all night long, trains go through Spokane...who would think that this day and age soooo many trains still operate? And trains don't care who's trying to sleep if you get my drift...thank goodness the tracks were elevated, so there were no horns blasting...
I'm a pretty sound sleeper...but last night was impossible. I don't care how comfortable the Davenport beds are...when trains go through, no one sleeps...
We had planned on staying at least until check out (noon)...enjoy a leisurely brunch and relax...after all it was Valentines...we checked out early morning and went to the Satellite diner for breakfast (great food by the way) and came home for a nap...
My advice is always always always ask for a north side room....oh yeah, one last thing...don't expect the front desk to care...they don't even ask about your stay....that's why I gave them a poor in service...Sorry

Room Tip: NEVER get a room on the Southside
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Unfortunately, we have no control over the trains that run near our hotel. We must apologize that the team at the front desk showed little empathy regarding your situation. Please know that this is not typical of the service that we offer. We do hope that if given another opportunity, you would consider staying with us in the future. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Kind Regards ~

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Have stayed many times. My last stay was to celebrate my granddaughter's 13th birthday. The hotel went out of it's way to make our stay extra special for my granddaughter. With her turn-down service, she received a generous box of the hotel's signature candies. They made sure the balloons I had ordered were in the room when we arrived. Everything about the Davenport is about excellence. The toiletries are fine French. The bathrobes are luxurious. The turn-down service with flower petals is heavenly. The room service food was delicious, as were our meals in the restaurant in the main hotel. The decor is over the top. You have to see it to believe it. The historical tour is a big bonus. Don't miss this great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay. Very friendly and courteous staff. Interesting history and something to see. Rooms were nice and spacious. Loved the added touch of doorbells. Conveniently located in downtown with access to a town car for transportation within 2 mile radius. Would recommend staying here and will stay again on future trips.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have always enjoyed the Davenport and decided to splurge on a pre-Christmas trip. We stayed in a suite with a fireplace and a downtown view. The carpet was soiled and the bathroom and shower had a lot of long, black hair from a former visitor. I will have to rethink staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy K
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. We must apologize for the lack of cleanliness that you encountered. Please know that this is not typical of the service that we offer, nor is it up to our standards. Feedback like this assists us in ensuring similar instances do not reoccur. We do hope that if presented with the opportunity to return, you would consider staying with us again in the near future. Again, thank you for feedback, it is surely appreciated.

Kind Regards ~

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I needed a break from the farm and all the fog we have had this winter. Decided to take a short trip with my elderly mother to a show in Spokane. Loved the Towers with a great location and a shuttle to our event. Staff was helpful and accommodating to make the stay memorable and easy for my mother. Wonderful beds and great night sleep in a spotlessly clean room. Central location nice for shopping and dining to many great locations. I will be going again when I get that closed in feeling.

Room Tip: Might check out the Davenport hotel first for rooms they were full when I went.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed in the historic Davenport last weekend and had a fantastic time. We had booked a one night package which gave us a 75 dollar dining credit. Since I am eight months pregnant, my husband and I were looking for a relaxing, romantic place to get-away before the baby comes. When we arrived we were offered an upgrade to a Penthouse room which had a jetted tub and a fireplace for a small increase in price. We took it and were delighted with our room as it exceeded our expectations. The hotel is beautiful and we were treated very well by the hotel staff. We took advantage of the valet parking with our package and I highly recommend doing that, especially as the weekend gets very busy there and there are a lot of events taking place. One way that we felt we received excellent service was they stored our luggage for a few hours for us after our check-out time, as I was scheduled for a treatment in the spa. It was great not to worry about that at all, since we had traveled in from out of state. We dined in the hotel and had a fantastic dinner and breakfast at the Palm Court Grill! We would love to go back and try the other restaurants. The Peacock Room looked like a lot of fun. My husband and I would definitely go back and would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zooboard
Reviewed 26 January 2014

They don't make them like this anymore. We usually stay in the historic Davenport (in contrast to the new Tower). It has grandeur and elegance of the bygone era of its origin. The restoration of the hotel is impeccable with numerous modern touches (doorbells, no less). The staff is professional and amazingly attentive to detail. Special attention to service - like town car service to restaurants. If you want a coffee maker in your room, stay at a Hampton.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple