“The Davenport is NEVER a disappointment.”

The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This historic hotel is has been redone top to bottom in first class tradition. While staying in their beautiful rooms you feel like you have stepped back 100 years in history, but the beds are high quality and the furnishings are beautiful. The service from check in to check out is 100% true customer service. They treat you like the special person you are. We have stayed there numerous times for a short weekend stay. We also enjoy eating at their restaurants when we are in downtown Spokane just for the day shopping. They have a day spa which we have only used once. The spa experience was very enjoyable. The Davenport Hotel is only a few blocks to the main downtown shopping, movie theater and many great restaurants.

Room Tip: They have 2 annex hotels across the street. One is a boutique which is smaller but very nice. The...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dwight H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,809)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Davenport is a historic property (stay in the original building, not the tower). Having escaped the wrecking ball several times, it has been beautifully restored (if you like Victorian) into a luxury hotel. Well, the prices are luxe, but the place cannot compare to a real 5-star hotel like the Four Seasons. It just misses. There is a Starbucks in the lobby where you can wait 45 minutes for a cup of coffee. The breakfast in the hotel dining room was so-so and took over 90 minutes to get in and out. Two dollars for a bottle of water. Neither TV in our suite worked (but were fixed promptly). At least the internet was free. There's not much to choose from hotel-wise in Spokane, and the Davenport is probably the best downtown hotel. Don't set your expectations too high and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank johncgore
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The Davenport Hotel almost met the wrecking ball several times in the past 30 years, but now it is bigger and better than ever. There are lots of interesting photos on the walls and the public rooms are filled with history. From the hotel walk a few blocks, then go through the urban mall and you exit the mall less than ten minutes from the hotel just to go through a spectacular park setting as the white-water river rushes through. This hotel is frequently used as a jumping-off point and pre-cruise hotel for the Snake and Columbia Rivers. Can't rate value because the bill was paid by the cruise line.

Room Tip: There are two building across the street from each other. We stayed at the new building. The char...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I've stayed at The Davenport before and will continue to do so as it's extremely convenient and well-maintained. It's a gorgeous property and almost everything about it is high-end. I stayed in the tower this last visit and found it to be excellent as well, although the tower's African Jungle motif got to be a bit tiresome--it is everywhere and in great abundance.

For a large and upscale property, I found the fitness center to be lacking. There are some cardio machines and free weights but no strength training machines whatsoever. It was too crowded to even attempt to workout so I had to skip it. From what I remember, the main building's fitness center wasn't any better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Had a meeting in the dining area where the food and wait-staff was on top of their game. They had fresh fish as well as tender meat. Both combined with sauces that didn't hide the taste of either. Whenever in Spokane, I am not only going to eat there, but will also try to get a room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stay somewhere else while in Spokane. The Davenport has forgotten what customer service means. The Davenport staff was once the zenith of excellent customer service but unfortunately they have become arrogantly pretentious.

My wife and 2 kids stayed at the Davenport on May 3 to run in the Bloomsday 12K. The Bloomsday race happens every year and the Davenport is usually booked solid providing a nice profit to the hotel. We rent 2 rooms every year. This year my daughter rented the rooms since my wife and I were out of town. We have been loyal customers of the Davenport for over 20 years. We usually stay at the Davenport or the Marriott Courtyard downtown when we come to Spokane. Also on my business trips I had stayed at the Davenport often. I always had high regard for the Davenport. In fact, my company had a conference at the Davenport five years ago and I approved the $30,000 for the conference covering the cost for hotel rooms and conference rooms at the Davenport.

We checked into the Davenport at 3:30pm since check-in was not until 4pm. We asked for a 1pm check out for the next day and were told that there was another conference was checking in the next day and that they had to turn the rooms over quickly. That did not make any sense since check in was not until 4pm.

They said that they could not extend the checkout time for one hour. I requested that we could check out of one of the rooms at 9am on Sunday and keep the other room until 1pm. The front office clerk said that was not possible and we still needed to check out of both rooms by noon. I asked to speak to the front desk manager and was told that the person was not available. I asked for the manager to call me in my room. The front desk manager did not call me back.
I attempted to explain to the front desk clerks that my two daughters were running in the race but my wife and I, who are both 62, were walking in the race and we needed to shower before heading back home to Seattle. We started the race at 9:45am. We would not complete walking the 12k and get back to the hotel until 12:30pm that would give us ½ hour to shower and vacate the room. The front desk clerk still refused to accommodate us.

I have never been treated so rudely by any hotel staff as badly as by the front desk staff at the Davenport. To provide some perspective, I stay in hotels approximately 1/3 of days in a year for my job.

My daughters returned to the hotel at 11am after finishing the race. They had time to shower. However at 11:45m, the front desk started to call the room and insisted they vacate the room. They called two more times from 11:45am to noon. My daughters vacated the room by noon.
When my wife and I got back to hotel at 12:30pm, I had to get changed in the lobby men’s room. We then left.

I can guarantee you that it is the very last time I will ever stay at the Davenport.

To give the reader some idea of how poor customer services have sunk at the Davenport, I called on Monday to speak to the front desk manager. Again the manager was not available and I left my number to have the manager call me. It has been over 24 hours and not courtesy call has been returned.

The Davenport has certainly lost its way. It is a shame to see such a stellar hotel’s customer service falter and descend into a standard of customer service that closely mirrors of what one would expect at the Motel 6.

The Davenport has lost a loyal customer.

Room Tip: Stay at the Doubletree or Marriott Courtyard downtown Spokane. They provide superb customer service...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Michael B
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for attempting to contact a manager to discuss this situation. We do apologize that your experience left much to be desired. In regards to the late checkout, we did have many guests checking in on Sunday for another conference that was starting. This is not typical for Bloomsday Sunday, as in year's past, it has typically been much easier to accommodate late checkouts. However, with every guest, we do guarantee a 4pm check in. If we are to honor that request, there are days where we are not able to be as flexible with the late checkout. We do apologize, however, that a manager did not contact you that day to work towards a solution. Please know that this is not typical of the service that we offer, and we are in the process of following up. Also, in regards to not getting a call back, the manager that you left a message with was indeed off on Monday & Tuesday. After contacting her, we are aware that she was able to get in touch with you and discuss the weekend's incidents. Please know that your business is very important to us, and we do value this feedback. These incidents are leading to opportunities to further improve in the future. Rest assured, our management team is extremely dedicated to improving in all that we can. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we do apologize and we do look forward to winning back your loyalty ~ It is important.

Kind Regards ~

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed in the tower hotel. The hotel is nice, my room was spacious and clean, and the staff was friendly. They do turn down service every night and leave some of the hotels signature soft peanut brittle & chocolate peanut brittle on your pillow, which is cool. My only knocks on the stay were the giant mirror in the headboard and the fact that they have soap dispensers in the showers and in the sink. That always knocks a hotel down a peg for me. Other than that the place is nice and it's convenient to shopping, dinning, and the river. If you stay in the tower, make sure to visit the original hotel. The lobby is gorgeous and the hotel has a lot of charm. It has it's own flower shop which is pretty neat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo