“Over the top Gilded Age splendor”

The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Juneau, Alaska
“Over the top Gilded Age splendor”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had heard about this place over the years but nothing had prepared me for the Gilded Age splendor of the hotel lobby -- or the incredibly bizarre "Safari themed" new Tower annex. Was on a business trip and needed to be downtown. Location is great for downtown business. Be prepared for the 1890's. While waiting for colleagues in the main hotel lobby I felt like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were going to barge in at any minute, guns blazing. Had a room in the Towers, a new structure across the street. Also very deluxe and very comfortable but -- why in Spokane? -- decorated in a Disney-like jungle theme, with dead animals and African prints all over and an amazingly horrible faux-leopard skin easy chair in my room. Not what I expected though it sure was memorable. Room was quiet and clean and the bed was great, in any event. Lobby cafe was okay for breakfast, totally outclassed by the decor.

Room Tip: If you don't like sleeping with dead animals, ask for a room in the main hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Davenport Tower, in a suite, for three nights for a family member wedding. The hotel itself was beautiful and the room well appointed but there were some major issues with the level of service falling short of what I would expect from its 5 star rating. My rating is on the low end of average for this hotel.

First of all, some positives were the bell and valet service, which was prompt and friendly no matter what time we used it. Also, the room was spacious and well decorated with an animal print theme throughout, but not overwhelming. The bathroom was a good size with double sinks and a large walk in shower. We have stayed at a number of 5 star hotels and this one had the most comfortable mattress by far, although the pillows were lacking.

The room service was timely in the am and dishes were large, although nothing especially delicious. I was surprised that there was not a coffee maker in our room, especially considering we had a suite.

When we arrived, a family of four all registered as guests, I noticed that we only had 3 towels, so I requested that we have four the next day. Needless to say, we were never given more than the 3 our entire stay and the kids had to share a towel. As well, our housekeeping was missed one day completely (as was another guest's attending the wedding). I found this unacceptable and when I called down, the front desk acted like it was no big deal and offered to send up fresh towels, nothing more. I requested a manager and was given a supervisor who did offer me a small amount gift certificate for the issue. I was appeased but still not impressed with the level of service considering that this is a major error on the part of the hotel. The housekeeping is definitely not up to the standard I expect when travelling. A friend of mine who came for the wedding also had a horror story where they put her in a room already occupied by a single male - what a surprise for her when she got there! - and when she went back to the front desk, there were absolutely no apologies for this just a new room assignment.

As far as sound in the hotel goes, our bedroom was quiet, but our suite had an adjoining door to another room (not occupied by anyone we know) and we could hear everything going on on the other side, so assuming they could hear the same.

I also made use of the spa for a pedicure for myself and mani/pedi for my daughter, which I booked 4 months in advance as I knew June is wedding season. When we got our services started my daughter mentioned her fingers and the esthetician was surprised - apparently they somehow deleted her mani. So, they fit it in, but during drying time etc did cleaning and sanitizing for the next client, which was rude and really destroyed the experience, especially since her service ended 15 minutes early and was very rushed. As far as my pedicure went, it was ok, but honestly probably on the lower end of any I have ever received. My calluses were not barely touched. However, on a positive note, the mimosa was a nice touch and the spa was also beautifully decorated and had a nice ambience.

Overall, the service at lower star hotels in the area is actually better, especially for the price differential. While not expensive for a 5 star hotel, the service makes it overpriced by far. We found we had negative aspects to almost everything we did - food, room and spa and I am not sure that I would brave giving it another chance. Too bad because this hotel is beautiful, with the original hotel even more so.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank purplehighlight
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here now three times on our way to Seattle. Easy to find right off the I90. Downtown is bit of a ghost town but then again you don't have to deal with crowds. The gym is respectable with enough weights and cardio machines. Staff is friendly and easy to deal with. We never valet as you can self park right across the street for a bit of a discount.

Will continue to stay here when passing through.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Auburn, Washington, United States
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have been staying at the historic Davenport Hotel for the better part of a year for business. The hotel is true to it's past though with all the modern conveniences. The rooms are well appointed and the beds the most comfortable I have experienced. Though considered a high end hotel the overall feel is down to earth and the staff offers just the right level of attention. The Davenport has a nice restaurant and bar on premise and is in easy walking distance to downtown shopping and eating/drinking establishments.

Room Tip: Deluxe King rooms are perfect for traveling couples.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have stayed all over the world and the Davenport ranks with the best. Everything is first class. Prices are very reasonable for what you get. Staff is great!! The rooms in the old hotel are the best. The hotel was remodeled in about 2000 back to its grandeur in 1914. The lobby and ballrooms, are gorgeous down to the smallest details. The rooms in the main hotel are beautiful with decor and furniture style back to the early 1900s. This is a grand place! The hotel has wonderful restaurants and bars. The hotel us within a few blocks of great shopping and maybe 6 blocks from the Spokane Riverwalk and convention center. Valet service is excellent . Hotel has a spa and pool and garden /walk area on the 3 rd floor.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main hotel. I think any room would be nice. We had a corner room with lots of light...
Green Features: Towel and bedding reuse program. Recycling. Temperature set at appropriate level to conserve energy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Davenport Hotel twice in the past year, and both visits did not disappoint. Both times we stayed in the Honeymoon Suite in the Davenport Tower.

The room is very large with a large whirlpool bath. I love that the whirlpool bath is away from the actual bathroom, and is quite large. The suite also has a large walk-in shower with two shower heads, which had great water pressure. There's a fireplace, a place to hook up your phone/ipod to listen to music, and a mini-fridge and sink. I always appreciate having a mini-fridge, because we like being able to keep drinks cold and store any snacks or leftovers. The chairs in the 'living area' are kind of uncomfortable, but the bed is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

The staff has always been extremely professional and courteous. We enjoy the bar in the lobby in the evenings, and the Safari Grill has a great breakfast.

Some other reviewers have mentioned that they don't like the safari theme in the tower, but I love it! It's just nice to have something different. We're from Montana, so it's seems like everything is log cabin/outdoors theme, so it's kind of funky and fun. The hotel is very clean and pleasant.

Would highly recommend for a long stay or just a quick romantic getaway.

Room Tip: I've heard that all of the rooms are nice, but if you like whirlpool baths the Honeymoon Suite i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at the Davenport Towers for one night while we in Spokane to see Wicked. It’s a great downtown location within walking distance to the theatre, pubs, restaurants, and shopping. I felt it was a bit pricey for an average room - it felt a bit bare in the décor. I didn't really understand the African safari theme throughout the hotel although it was fun. The rooms are elegant and clean, I guess I just expected something a bit more modern. The mirrored wall behind the bed is a bit cheesy décor for such a classy place. The huge shower and the spacious vanity area in the room were great. We were on a high floor and barely heard any traffic or other hotel guest noises.The turn-down service with their peanut-brittle is a nice touch.

We enjoyed the pool and the hot tub, but the chlorine chemical smell was a bit overwhelming when we first walked in. The pool is below ground on the floor below the lobby so there are no windows and didn't seem to have good ventilation. Worked for us though and and appreciated the quiet on Sunday morning.

We had one big complaint, not about the hotel, but about the Post Street Ale house which is owned by the Davenport. We thought it would be a fun and convenient place to stop for a drink and appetizer following the show as it’s kitty-corner to the Davenport Tower. The service was absolutely terrible! The server ignored us when there was hardly anyone else in the pub. When she did attend to us she spilled our drinks and didn't clean it up, ignored our dirty dishes, and was overall really rude. I wouldn’t go back to this place or recommend it to anyone. Following our horrid experience there, we stopped for a drink in the lobby bar – the Safari Room - where we had prompt service.

On Sunday morning we ate brunch at the Safari Room Grill which was overpriced and average quality, so a little disappointing.

Overall, I might stay here again but would definitely dine and drink elsewhere. Next time I might splurge and try the original Davenport Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple