“Pluses far outweigh minuses”
Review of Apple Tree Inn

Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Manhattan
“Pluses far outweigh minuses”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I recently spent a month in Spokane, and the Apple Tree gave me a great rate for a stay of that duration. I spent two weeks in a single room, then my wife came to town and we stayed in a one bedroom suite, and then I spent the rest of the time in another single.

The first single room was a quiet, clean, inexpensive motel room, nothing less, nothing more. I didn't want or need it to be anything less or more. Any problems I had to go to management with were addressed...but there weren't really any, or at least they were minor, to the point that I can't even really recall. Let's just say they were courteous and professional. The one bedroom suite I moved to when my wife got to town was actually much better, especially for the money. The room I moved to after she left was in a building I didn't like quite as much as the other two, and I could see someone perhaps offering a gripe, as it just didn't seem to be quite as nice...but the overall experience was such that a gripe would seem petty.

And unnecessary. This is an inexpensive yet very serviceable facility, not the Ritz; no facility is for everyone. It may be that under certain circumstances a little flexibility might be a good idea going in, but it's inexpensive, not cheap, and neither should it be considered in any context one might assign to the idea of a 'cheap motel.' If you're willing to spend more for more luxurious accommodations, perhaps closer to downtown? Great. That doesn't diminish what this is, which is a very good place for not a lot of money.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Don'tGetOutMuch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I do not understand the other postive reviews for this hotel! My bed was hard as a rock, the air conditioner was so noisy I had to turn it off, one lamp switch was worn out. In fact this whole motel appears badly in need of an update. Friendly people yes. Cleanliness yes. But otherwise this place is getting pretty dumpy. Come here if you must but I recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2009
We are sorry to hear your stay was not an enjoyable experience. Every year, we get new mattresses for each of our rooms. Almost all of our air conditioners are relatively quiet and the few that were not have since been replaced with new ones. If you were unsatisfied with the room, please let us know and we would have been more than willing to move you to another room.

We apologize that we could not make your stay an enjoyable one. If you decide to stay with us again, please let us know of any problems you may have and we will do everything possible to help you.

Management

Travellers are raving about these Spokane hotels

Libby, Montana
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Don't pass this up when visiting Spokane, Washington. The rates are more than reasonable, staff is exemplary and rooms will make you feel at home.My wife and I stay here 10-15 times a year.
Bill Lafrance
U.S. Marine Corps (Ret.)
Libby, Montana 59923

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
BC
Reviewed 7 February 2009

The mini-suite was nice, well furnished, clean, small (double bed). There was a microwave, a sink, and a fridge in the room. The staff was super nice. There was a continental breakfast which provided a variety of food and drink choices. The inn is spread out over a few buildings, and the room entrances are all inside. Despite facing the main street (North Division), our room was quiet at night.

I would absolutely stay there again, it's a GREAT value.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Price
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DandGW
Chicago
Reviewed 2 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Apple Tree Inn as the first stop on our road trip from Seattle to Chicago. We saw that the Apple Tree Inn was one of the higher rated motels on TripAdvisor in Spokane, so we thought it would be pretty decent.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as nice as we had expected. The room was very small, quite old and hadn't been renovated in a long time. It was clean, but it had a sort of moldy, mildew-like smell to it. There wasn't much in the way of toiletries -- not enough soap or shampoo, and nothing more.

Also, while they did have both wireless and wired internet, there was no ethernet cable supplied, and our room was located such that I could just barely get a wireless connection and my wife's laptop, with a weaker antenna, couldn't get one at all. And both the wired and wireless connections were slower than dial-up -- almost unusable.

To be fair, the price was low, and it was sufficient as a fairly comfortable place to sleep. But my gut tells me that it wouldn't be too hard to find a nicer and comparably priced place to stay in Spokane.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Quality of room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pmaxx
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this review, 29 October 2008
We strive to keep our hotel as clean as possible. We have 4 buildings which 2 of them are older looking than the other 2 but we do still keep all 4 spotless. If there are any problems with the cleanliness or smell of the room (which hopefully is never) please do not hesitate to notify the front desk immediately so that we can correct the situation by even moving you to a better room.

The internet connection was really slow last year which is why we added another modem, doubling our connection speed and also installed ethernet outlets in 20 more rooms so that 3 buildings have both the wired and wireless connections. The 4th building currently only has wireless connection. We do have ethernet wires available for checkout at the front desk at no cost to you. If the internet connection seems to slow, please let us know because it usually just takes a quick reset of the modem / router to get it back to par.

If the toiletries are not enough, please let either housekeeping or the front desk know. We do provide extras at no cost.

We apologize that we could not make your stay an enjoyable one. If you do decide to stay with us again, please let us know of any requests or problems you may have and we will do everything in our power to help you.

Management
Washington
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I loved this hotel the first time I stayed there but this second time was a nightmare. After taking a shower my feet were black by the time I walked from the bathroom to my closet. Their statement was well there is residue left from the professionals we have that clean it... Great walking on mildew ... I had my kids with me and made them wear their shoes as much as possible. The deadbolt fell off and was not fixed during our stay ...I have an autistic son so we had to put chairs in front of the door to keep him from getting out at night... and finally no working microwave and it took them hours to bring a replacement and then they just left the non working one and used up the rest of the counter space with the additional one. I asked to talk to the manager but no avail... and no discount for my inconvenience either. Will not go here again. Stay away if you have kids.... unhealthy for them.

• Liked — The pool and the breakfast
  • Disliked — the gross floors, the bad customer service, the refusal to compensate for stress and filth of room as well as non working items and deadbolt falling off
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
I am sorry you were not pleased with your stay here. I do remember speaking with you personally. We were sold out of non-smoking units and I am sorry that unfortunately the only choice you had was a smoking unit.

The dead bolt came off because it was unscrewed off. When you called the front desk, the employee wanted to come and fix the bolt for you since all it takes is a quick 10 seconds to screw it back in. We also have a maintenance man on call 24/7. However, you kindly refused our help saying that it wasn't that big of a deal since the door is still locked even without the deadbolt. That is why I could not give a discount.

I'm sorry if I didn't introduce myself as the manager, but I do remember speaking with you. Again, I apologize that you were unhappy with your stay for we our main goals are to be clean and affordable for everyone.

Apple Tree Inn Management
Calgary
Reviewed 25 August 2008

With 5 adults and one child, the chances of finding reasonably priced accommodation is slim. Well, we found a place where we all could stay in comfort for $100 per night. It included a reasonable continental breakfast and a full kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, dishes and dishwasher. All the beds were actual beds and quite comfortable (no pull outs or cots). It contained the kitchen and 3 separate sleeping areas. No frills, outdoor pool was small, TV was small (but adequate). There was lots of hot water, great housekeeping, extra towels, fast check in and out with no hassles, fairly quiet, good A/C unit, close to grocery store, Walmart, and Northtown Mall. Many restaurant choices close by. Easily found and accessible situated between highways 2 and 395. Overall a pleasant experience. Traveling with lots of people and wanting to stay on the North side of town, this is the place!

• Liked — Overall value
  • Disliked — No problems at all
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family