“Nothing special”

Ranked #101 of 912 Restaurants in Spokane
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Found on DDD site, but food was fairly ordinary. Ordered shrimp creole and shrimp looked too uniform, like they were not fresh and were from a large bag of smaller frozen shrimp. Very disappointing. Calamari breading was heavy. cashew chicken was good, and was tender. Burgers were good, but nothing special. Service was fine. No reason to run back.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I feel it is my duty to warn people that Hills Restuarant of late 2013 is NOT serving what I saw on Diner's, Drive-ins and DIves (filmed in 2010). We want so badly to like this place we have actually given 4 chances over the last few years (hoping to catch them on a good day). After last night we are "officially" done!
Last night we ordered 2 of the featured items on Triple D. Pulled Pork Sandwich with fries and the Elk Burger with cole slaw. The Elk burger was tiny! Looked so so different than on t.v.!! It was also Burnt! I'm not talking well done with some grill marks...it had a burnt crust we had to peel off because it was black, hard, and inedible. I ordered Medium by the way. The cole slaw was a strange chinese cabbage concoction and kind of dry. The Pulled Pork sandwich had no flavor, tasted old, cold and dry. The fries, although real potatoes, were limp and really olly. We have had problems with their fries before but that time they were over cooked and oily.
The burnt burger made both of us kind of sick to our stomachs . As we were driving home last night we decided to advise people to go elsewhere. Some of the other restuarants Guy Fieri reviewed around the area are by far superior. We have had really great food at "The Elk", "Picabu's", and in C'da "Capone's". If you are visiting Spokane please do not judge our local chef's/cuisine by "Hill's Restuarant".

Reviewed 21 October 2013

After reading through several reviews, I see that they are very mixed and others have had experiences like ours. We were part of a party of 14 people and it was a frustrating meal. The waitress took our orders, writing separate tabs for each 'check' at the table. The soup came out quickly, but it was downhill from there. The orders at one end of the table came out, then we waited about 10 min and the next came. The difference from one end of the table to the other was about 45 min in total! I have never seen anything like it! It was very awkward for everyone not knowing how to help the people who didn't have food. They hadn't given us any bread or anything to keep those hungry people satisfied. When the waitress was asked for a different dressing she said that she was afraid to ask the chefs because they were busy cooking! She admitted that it 'wasn't good' that the food wasn't coming out but she never offered any apology or offered us any appetizer or anything to help us out. Later I talked to my daughter and she said that she was put off because the waitress kept touching her shoulder and my daughter didn't like it-- she had noticed that she did the same even to some men at the table. When we did get the food (I had to change my order from the smoked salmon because they were out) it was just okay. Why did I have to wait 45 min for a Reuben sandwich? I could've gone back and made it myself in about 10 minutes. Others ordered the homemade pasta and said that it was mediocre. Very simple food cooked painfully slowly. I have never written a bad review before, but this place was very unprofessional and poorly managed. I will certainly never return.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

My wife and I ate here two nights in a row on our latest trip to Spokane. This was our first experience at this restaurant. Heard of it from DDD show. The first nights meals were worthy of a six star ratings (if you could go that high). The second nights meals however didn't quite live up . On the first night I started with the Scotch Egg which was very tasty and quite unique, and my wife and I shared the house salad (definitely big enough for two). The greens were very fresh and came with fresh cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, sprouts, carrots, beets, and great croutons. For my main I ordered the Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Port Cherry Chutney. It came with roasted potatoes (which were to die for) and fresh steamed veggies. My wife ordered the special, which was fresh King Salmon which also came with roasted potatoes and steamed veggies. The Pork Tenderloin was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. It was moist and flavorful and melt in your mouth good. My wife's Salmon was done to perfection, nice and moist, not overcooked like many restaurants do. It was also melt in your mouth good. The second night I ordered the Lemon-Basil Cashew Chicken and my wife got the Roasted Vegetable Panini. The Panini was good but not spectacular. The Lemon-Basil Chicken did not live up to the expectations from the previous nights meals. The flavor from the lemon-basil was not spectacular and the chicken was a bit overdone, not moist like I'd hoped for. I was disappointed in this meal after the quality of the previous nights meals. That's not to say that the meal was bad, it just didn't live up to the experience of the previous night. I will say though that it was a different chef that prepared the second nights meal (the regular chef was out this night) and I'm hoping that this is what made the difference in the quality. Overall I believe you will get a quality meal and dining experience at Hills. I would definitely give it another try next time we're in Spokane, if just to have the Pork Tenderloin again.

1  Thank Rich S
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We found this fine place on Dinners, drive-ins & dives TV show. They claim to have the best pulled pork sandwich in the area and that could be true. I am told they also have an elk burger that is great. I could not say no to the fresh made pasta dish of the day, a smoked Salmon linguini. Marita could not say no to a house favorite, lemon basil almond encrusted chicken. Both dishes far exceeded our expectations. We have been to Spokane a few times and tried a different place each time. Each restaurant was very good and we would return if not for so many places to visit, but we will be stopping at Hills' our next trip. One last thing we could not say no to was bacon maple ice cream. Come on it's bacon! It's ice cream!