“Get the beer bread.”

Ranked #85 of 884 Restaurants in Spokane
Price range: US$7 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
“Get the beer bread.”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Delicious soups, and the beer bread is a must! Quite a busy place, so expect a line at lunch time. A favorite lunch time spot for me.

Visited April 2013

“Fantastic Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We live in Spokane but dont dine downtown too much. We took a food tour and found this little restaurant just a 1/2 block from Macys. We went again this weekend since it was a easy walk from the INB before a play. This is a very tiny place so I am sure it gets very crowded but the food is fastastic. We had the tomato soup and beer bread with is so yummy. I also had the raspberry vinagerette salad and chicken chedder soup. It was fantastic a was similar to a creamy tortilla soup. Do not get soup without the beer bread. This will definately be a favorite casual spot to eat while shopping downtown.

• Visited March 2013
Sacramento, California
“Yummy Soup and Homemade Beer Bread”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Atmosphere was warm and inviting, the owner greeted and took care of us. Soups were marvelous with the delicous beer bread and a bottle of wine made this a true winner! Will definitely visit again:)

• Visited December 2012
Spokane, Washington
“Great visuals, ok food, lousy service”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Last night, I, my step-daughter and husband ate at Soulful Soups and Spirits. It was First Friday and Soulful Soups was a good option in terms of: serving to minors (until 9 PM), time, prices, lack of spiciness (my stepdaughter is highly capsaicin sensitive) and walking distance to a close friend’s artist’s reception.

The décor is a huge improvement from when it was a soup/deli case joint. Everything in Soulful Soups and Spirits is pleasing to the eye from: the plates on the tables, the furniture itself, to the art on the walls and the “eye candy” female servers.

The soups, if my memory serves, have gone down hill since the early 2000’s (I hadn’t been to Soulful Soups since about 2001). My New England style clam chowder was competent but had way too much celery (a cheap filler) and over peppered (perhaps to cover up lack of flavor or worse). My husband’s Thai Coconut was a mush that was over spiced but lacking the complexity of a good curry. Actually, I took one bite of my husband’s soup and thought it gross (and I love true Asian curries). My stepdaughter enjoyed her broccoli cheddar soup. Her dad is a gourmet cook and she’s very discriminating, despite being a teenager. So although I wasn’t offered a taste of her soup; the broccoli cheddar is a safe bet. On the subject of soups, my husband originally ordered three bean soup, which was listed on the daily menu, but was out. (No one had bothered to erase it from the daily sheet).

The salads were fresh and large but nothing excellent like those at South Perry Pizza or Casper Fry.

The best part of the meal was the beer bread, which was quite tasty.

The cocktails were good not great. We’re spoiled, as we are regulars at Bon Bon. It was a bit disconcerting that a restaurant with the name “Spirits” was out of sweet vermouth (a bar basic), so my husband couldn’t order a perfect Manhattan.

The service was very much the low point. My husband thought we got ignored. I thought we were rushed through without any personal touch. My husband noticed age discrimination; I literally waved twice for them to come to our table so we could cash out. I went to the bar and had to get in their faces to get our check. My husband noticed that the twenty somethings (who entered after us) got served immediately (and attentively). The age discrimination isn’t as bad as at Zola (where we sat for 20 minutes without even a hello) but it was present at Soulful Soups and Spirits.

In terms of money, the total was reasonable - $55 plus change for three of us, including two cocktails. However, in terms of quality of food there are other better options in the downtown area. In terms of service, there are exponentially better choices in downtown Spokane.

• Visited October 2012
“Soup from Heaven”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

VERY VERY good soups! Prices are right there with the soups. A good place to go for lunch downtown. It has been there for at least 8 years that I can think of.

Visited June 2012