“Friendly and simple, with a few surprises”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stehekin
North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I really liked this place. Hard to go wrong in such a beautiful setting, but they were really trying. A lot of the negative reviews have been for the service. Believe me they are working on this issue. The staff was extremely friendly and would ask me 2-3 times per day if I needed anything. They saw I had a baby, and offered me a crib. I told them I had my own pack and play and they followed up by asking if I needed sheets and blankets for it. Nice touch. The kitchen unit I had was full of sunlight and the cooking stuff there was simple but adequate. The bed was amazingly comfortable, high thread count sheets, nice comfortable, good mattress and pillows.

If you are not staying in a kitchen unit and want more space, there is a large recreation hall with comfy couches, tables that can seat your whole party for dinner, and even TV and internet for emergencies. It would be really, really nice if they would update their board games, the ones we found were completely hammered and did not have all the pieces. This would be a low cost and effective way to promote the unplugged atmosphere of the place. It would also be nice if they included cards and maybe poker chips in the rec room. They do have a really nice pool table there.

There is also an outdoor picnic area with a fire place overlooking the lake that is also really nice.

The one complaint I have is the restaurant. The food was not great, we ordered the fish and chips and were served french fries that were old, overcooked and inedible. I always believe in telling the staff the negatives and let them fix it before I give a bad review, so I told the waiter. He said he would look into it and also bring us fresh fries. He walked off and we never saw him again. Pretty lame. In general, the service at the restaurant was pretty bad. Surly kids who didn't seem like they wanted to be there. You are much better off sucking it up and going 2 miles up the road to the bakery. Better yet, go to the organic farm halfway up the road to the bakery and get all the produce, goat dairy products, honey, and loads more from the friendly farmer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank damon s

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I always stay in a room with a view. The rooms are expensive, with no tv, refrigeration or air conditioning. The beds are so very comfortable. No cell service which is expected. Cleanliness of
Room excellent. Housekeeper so very kind and wants to please. Last visit the food in the Lodge
was OUTSTANDING! Sorry to say new food company running the restaurant, ( contracted for 3 more years ) is pretty bad. At dinner I watched the waiter ask 3 customers how was their meal?
All 3 gave kind, but negative responses to food. I had planned to eat all my meals in the restaurant based on my previous experience of great food. Left 1 day early because food, service,
Quality of groceries to purchase In The Lodge was so poor quality. The staff all very wonderful and displeased with the new management and low pay scale.

Room Tip: My suggestion is plan on bringing some food if staying at The Lodge. There is a bakery and ranch a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The room was fine. Just a fan. I knew about no phone, no TV and that is just fine with me..
Just stayed one night, so, house keeping was not an issue. New people have taken over
the rest. Boy does that new mgr. have his work cut out for him. Bad, over priced food brought
by people with zero training doesn't make you want to run right back. One little girl was trying,
but, she didn't have a clue. But, before any of that, the first thing they have to do is get a
cook. I wouldn't have feed what they brought me to my own family at home for free.

Room Tip: Good ones are way over priced.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ron b
Liz M, Director of Sales at North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you so much for your candid feedback. Please accept our most sincere apology for your experience while in our restaurant. I have taken the opportunity to forward your thoughts to our culinary and management team for immediate response and corrective action.
The service you receive is most certainly not to the standard to which we hold our team responsible. Our goal is to always offer our guests the very best with flawless hospitality. You did not experience this, and for that we apologize. Our focus will be to work diligently to perform to a higher standard.

Thank you once again for your review.
All the Best!
Liz M.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I love Stehekin. Three days without tv, cell phones, and wifi was the biggest relaxation factor. This lodge was formerly called Stehekin Landing. A new concessionaire recently took over and changed the name. I hope they address the deferred maintenance on the inside and outside of the lodge and rooms. Its hard to rate a place like this. Its rustic; but I wouldn't expect 4 star here, nor would I want it. The location is perfect. Steps from the ferry landing and within walking distance to hiking trails, visitors center, bike rentals, kayaking. Deck overlooking the lake; nice place to relax in the evening. The room was a bit run-down. Housekeeping not the best. Fuzzies on the floor, cobwebs on windows, dirt on top of bathroom heater, half of the hooks were gone on one side of the curtains. It really needed a good overall scrub. No room housekeeping during our 2 night stay. But the locale makes up for a lot.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MilouSnow
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We didn't stay here, but I could find the restaurant under that category. We had only 90 minutes in Stehekin and we spent 35 of them eating at the Lodge. We did not expect such a great burger in this remote location. There was no service. You order and pay for your meal at the counter. We plan to return to Stehekin and stay a few days at the lodge.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I called to ask for some information about Stehekin and various amenities that the resort offered such as bikes and spoke with Diane Jackson, the manager. There must not be a lot of competition for jobs up there because she was so condescending and rude during the entire conversation that I wont care to stay there, even if its a five star resort!

I was told that Stehekin would basically be shut down the weekend I was planning on coming and when I asked her for what I could do or how I could get more information so I could make decisions regarding my trip, she got really snotty and said "well, we werent really planning on having a fire three months ago when you booked, what do you want me to do about it, missy?"

I told her that there was no need to be rude and talk to me like a child so she told me that I have a real attitude problem and hung up on me. When I called back to speak to the manager she sad "youre talking to her honey!"

Maybe this kind of dive bar, backroads hillbilly talk is ok for the locals but for someone trying to get some information and worried about how to get the money back that they already sunk into this trip, this behavior was completely unacceptable and I would not be comfortable staying there. I would especially not be comfortable handing my hard earned money over to that nasty woman.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
14  Thank ravencat
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We spent 2 nights in a room that had a large balcony overlooking the lake.
Housekeeping was non-existent except that they did remove a beer bottle.
Fuzz, hair and stuff on the carpet that had been "missed" for a long time. Cobwebs in the windows, as well. This was new management and the lady in charge of housekeeping gave me her disclaimer about not servicing rooms.
The clock was broken and stuck on 4 AM but they never saw that until I left it on the floor with a note. They did take the bottle and in the afternoon, brought a new clock. That's it for room service. We thought the food was good for being so remote. We also took the bus on the first night to the Lodge. That was a great feed! Packed with people eating family style at huge tables. Lots of food and a bus ride back by the owner. That's entirely worth it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hikermum

Been to North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin? Share your experiences!