“Great location, really friendly staff, beautiful view of Lake Chelan and the surrounding mountains”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stehekin
North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful time staying in a standard room on July 11 and 12th, 2013. We were pleasantly surprised when we were met at the ferry landing by Mary, one of the co-managers. She helped us get checked in while staff helped us with our luggage. Nice service. Our room was comfortable and clean and the bed was great-no sags or lumps. I was concerned about the lack of air conditioning (when making the reservation) but found that it wasn't needed because of the cool breeze coming down the mountain and from the lake. The rooms seem pricey, but given the beautiful setting and the cost of having everything boated in, it was worth it.

We had dinner at the lodge restaurant. Both the pasta and beef medallion dishes were very good. Mary, one of the managers who had met us on the dock, remembered that we were celebrating our 20th anniversary, and presented us with a complimentary bottle of wine. A completely unexpected nice gesture. We brought most of our food with us, so we only ate out once.

The lodge is conveniently located to trails (Imus, lakeshore), rentals for kayaks and boats, and the bus.

We had a very enjoyable stay and will come back.

Gwill G. Olympia WA July 11-12, 2013

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Chelan, Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Lodge accommodations are nice but the FOOD is the WORST FOOD I have ever eaten! My husband had a hamburger that was at least 1/4 inch of burnt meat on both sides (like 1/4 inch carbon). It was advertised as ground sirloin but it tasted as if it had filler( like a meat loaf). And another client complained about her hamburger as well. I had the trout and it was suppose to be blackened trout but it appeared to be sautéed which would have been fine if they hadn't smothered it in a disgusting sauce. I could not distinguish the ingredients of the sauce but it was dreadful. The vegetables would have been good too if they hadn't put another awful sauce on them and the wild rice mix was more like porridge in texture- thick and gluey. A different patron complained of his $24.95 NY steak that was less than a 1/4 inch thick. At breakfast I ordered a boiled egg and the waiter said I don't know if we can do that even though the menu showed eggs any style So he asks the cook if that is possible! Another patron at breakfast was complaining that her hash browns were still frozen and her bacon was not cooked. I overheard the cook telling a patron that she had worked restaurants at MGM in Las Vegas and at a resort in Florida but that was difficult to believe. It is unfortunate they do not take more pride in their restaurant and hire a competent chef. It would not take too much effort to serve decent food. Previous management served good food.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Liz8559
Liz M, Director of Sales at North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you so much for your candid review. We appreciate all feedback, and I have taken the liberty of forwarding your comments directly to our entire management team, so an appropriate solution can be achieve as soon as possible. Please accept our most sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory experience.
We strive to offer the very best service to our guests with flawless hospitality, and our team did not meet these standards.
Thank you once again for your thoughts and perspective regarding the Lodge at Stehekin.

All the Best!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I really liked this place. Hard to go wrong in such a beautiful setting, but they were really trying. A lot of the negative reviews have been for the service. Believe me they are working on this issue. The staff was extremely friendly and would ask me 2-3 times per day if I needed anything. They saw I had a baby, and offered me a crib. I told them I had my own pack and play and they followed up by asking if I needed sheets and blankets for it. Nice touch. The kitchen unit I had was full of sunlight and the cooking stuff there was simple but adequate. The bed was amazingly comfortable, high thread count sheets, nice comfortable, good mattress and pillows.

If you are not staying in a kitchen unit and want more space, there is a large recreation hall with comfy couches, tables that can seat your whole party for dinner, and even TV and internet for emergencies. It would be really, really nice if they would update their board games, the ones we found were completely hammered and did not have all the pieces. This would be a low cost and effective way to promote the unplugged atmosphere of the place. It would also be nice if they included cards and maybe poker chips in the rec room. They do have a really nice pool table there.

There is also an outdoor picnic area with a fire place overlooking the lake that is also really nice.

The one complaint I have is the restaurant. The food was not great, we ordered the fish and chips and were served french fries that were old, overcooked and inedible. I always believe in telling the staff the negatives and let them fix it before I give a bad review, so I told the waiter. He said he would look into it and also bring us fresh fries. He walked off and we never saw him again. Pretty lame. In general, the service at the restaurant was pretty bad. Surly kids who didn't seem like they wanted to be there. You are much better off sucking it up and going 2 miles up the road to the bakery. Better yet, go to the organic farm halfway up the road to the bakery and get all the produce, goat dairy products, honey, and loads more from the friendly farmer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank damon s
Coronado
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I always stay in a room with a view. The rooms are expensive, with no tv, refrigeration or air conditioning. The beds are so very comfortable. No cell service which is expected. Cleanliness of
Room excellent. Housekeeper so very kind and wants to please. Last visit the food in the Lodge
was OUTSTANDING! Sorry to say new food company running the restaurant, ( contracted for 3 more years ) is pretty bad. At dinner I watched the waiter ask 3 customers how was their meal?
All 3 gave kind, but negative responses to food. I had planned to eat all my meals in the restaurant based on my previous experience of great food. Left 1 day early because food, service,
Quality of groceries to purchase In The Lodge was so poor quality. The staff all very wonderful and displeased with the new management and low pay scale.

Room Tip: My suggestion is plan on bringing some food if staying at The Lodge. There is a bakery and ranch a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Nancy L
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The room was fine. Just a fan. I knew about no phone, no TV and that is just fine with me..
Just stayed one night, so, house keeping was not an issue. New people have taken over
the rest. Boy does that new mgr. have his work cut out for him. Bad, over priced food brought
by people with zero training doesn't make you want to run right back. One little girl was trying,
but, she didn't have a clue. But, before any of that, the first thing they have to do is get a
cook. I wouldn't have feed what they brought me to my own family at home for free.

Room Tip: Good ones are way over priced.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ron b
Liz M, Director of Sales at North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you so much for your candid feedback. Please accept our most sincere apology for your experience while in our restaurant. I have taken the opportunity to forward your thoughts to our culinary and management team for immediate response and corrective action.
The service you receive is most certainly not to the standard to which we hold our team responsible. Our goal is to always offer our guests the very best with flawless hospitality. You did not experience this, and for that we apologize. Our focus will be to work diligently to perform to a higher standard.

Thank you once again for your review.
All the Best!
Liz M.
Washington
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I love Stehekin. Three days without tv, cell phones, and wifi was the biggest relaxation factor. This lodge was formerly called Stehekin Landing. A new concessionaire recently took over and changed the name. I hope they address the deferred maintenance on the inside and outside of the lodge and rooms. Its hard to rate a place like this. Its rustic; but I wouldn't expect 4 star here, nor would I want it. The location is perfect. Steps from the ferry landing and within walking distance to hiking trails, visitors center, bike rentals, kayaking. Deck overlooking the lake; nice place to relax in the evening. The room was a bit run-down. Housekeeping not the best. Fuzzies on the floor, cobwebs on windows, dirt on top of bathroom heater, half of the hooks were gone on one side of the curtains. It really needed a good overall scrub. No room housekeeping during our 2 night stay. But the locale makes up for a lot.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MilouSnow
Florence, Oregon
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We didn't stay here, but I could find the restaurant under that category. We had only 90 minutes in Stehekin and we spent 35 of them eating at the Lodge. We did not expect such a great burger in this remote location. There was no service. You order and pay for your meal at the counter. We plan to return to Stehekin and stay a few days at the lodge.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stehekin
AbbyCreek Inn
#7 of 8 in Winthrop
Sun Mountain Lodge
Sun Mountain Lodge
#4 of 8 in Winthrop

Been to North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin? Share your experiences!