“Fabulous experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stehekin
North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin
Detroit, Michigan
“Fabulous experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed at North Cascades Lodge two nights / three days (July 23 - 25) and had a terrific experience. The staff was friendly and courteous, and our room was spotless. The best thing about North Cascades lodge is the location - you are literally right "down town", and close to everything. We did dine at the restaurant one evening and found the food to be very good and reasonably priced. There are some negative comments on this website about the restaurant; we didn't experience anything other than a really nice dinner. I would recommend staying at North Cascades Lodge if you visit Stehekin.

Room Tip: We had a view of the lake, and it was just lovely.
1 Thank Jeffrey S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The lodge is a lovely place to stay and most employees are lovely as well. One grouchy bus driver dampened the day a bit but at least gave us a good story to tell later. Housekeeping was excellent; made every effort to hustle and get our room ready given a tight turnaround. Advice to managers would be to offer customers a clearly marked, covered place to put their bags while they wait for a check-in time that can potentially be up to 2 hours after they get off the boat. Consider offering a complimentary bus ride for those folks waiting for their rooms. They could take a ride and see a few sights while waiting. This seems like a low-cost way to keep customers happy while they wait. Other options might be a complimentary fountain soda or a kayak rental. Other than that, great vacation!

• Stayed August 2013
Liz M, Director of Sales at North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for your review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed Stehekin - and we love your suggestions! I've forwarded your thoughts to our management team as some of your ideas would be great ways to assist our guests.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Our Best!
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a very good stay at North Cascades Lodge July, 2013 for two nights. Our room was very modern, new, clean and spacious. We were in the main building of rooms, and enjoyed the view of upper Lake Chelan and Mt. McGregor from the small communal, shaded balcony facing the lake. 2nd story rooms are best for this.

Checking and checkout were friendly and expeditious. I forgot to clear out one drawer on departure, checking out about 10:15 AM. Miraculously the items were found, bagged up, marked with our party's name and on the dock for the noon fast boat departure (Although I was embarrassed to be paged by the crew to claim the items).

The Lodge is superbly located to maximize one's visit to Stehekin -- yards from the boat dock, visitor center and the all important shuttle start and end point. Stehekin has nice services, but generally only one (or at best, two) in any one category. Everything is laid out along 10 miles of the only road, all of which the shuttle services.

The Lodge contains a restaurant and a convenience store. There are three places to eat, the Restaurant at the Lodge, the Pastry Shop, and the Ranch, all serving three meals except no supper at the Pastry Shop.

Prepare for a visit to Stehekin by carefully studying the shuttle service. We didn't and almost made a mess of our stay. The shuttle is a "loop" service, but the reality is that it runs 10 miles out and then back by same route. You can get on or off at any point. There are scheduled stops with a short pause at the Pastry Shop, Ranch, and High Bridge. You can hop off to buy pastries. There are only four runs each day, so you need to plan your outings carefully.

To have dinner at the Ranch, take the fourth, final run. The Ranch will bring you back after dinner. Our most enjoyable outing was taking the first shuttle to the Pastry Shop for breakfast and walking back two miles along the lake, stopping at The Garden for fresh vegetables, berries and goat cheese. We took the Agnes Gorge Trail by taking the first shuttle out to High Bridge and the second one back, allowing ample time to complete the hike. The Gorge at the end is quite interesting and their are a few great views along the way. We took the short, worthwhile hike to Rainbow Falls on our own, using the shuttle and catching the same shuttle on its return.

The shuttle is flexible, friendly and fun, but it runs on time!

Room Tip: 2nd floor in main building has best views of lake from narrow communal balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TomM8132
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful time staying in a standard room on July 11 and 12th, 2013. We were pleasantly surprised when we were met at the ferry landing by Mary, one of the co-managers. She helped us get checked in while staff helped us with our luggage. Nice service. Our room was comfortable and clean and the bed was great-no sags or lumps. I was concerned about the lack of air conditioning (when making the reservation) but found that it wasn't needed because of the cool breeze coming down the mountain and from the lake. The rooms seem pricey, but given the beautiful setting and the cost of having everything boated in, it was worth it.

We had dinner at the lodge restaurant. Both the pasta and beef medallion dishes were very good. Mary, one of the managers who had met us on the dock, remembered that we were celebrating our 20th anniversary, and presented us with a complimentary bottle of wine. A completely unexpected nice gesture. We brought most of our food with us, so we only ate out once.

The lodge is conveniently located to trails (Imus, lakeshore), rentals for kayaks and boats, and the bus.

We had a very enjoyable stay and will come back.

Gwill G. Olympia WA July 11-12, 2013

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chelan, Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Lodge accommodations are nice but the FOOD is the WORST FOOD I have ever eaten! My husband had a hamburger that was at least 1/4 inch of burnt meat on both sides (like 1/4 inch carbon). It was advertised as ground sirloin but it tasted as if it had filler( like a meat loaf). And another client complained about her hamburger as well. I had the trout and it was suppose to be blackened trout but it appeared to be sautéed which would have been fine if they hadn't smothered it in a disgusting sauce. I could not distinguish the ingredients of the sauce but it was dreadful. The vegetables would have been good too if they hadn't put another awful sauce on them and the wild rice mix was more like porridge in texture- thick and gluey. A different patron complained of his $24.95 NY steak that was less than a 1/4 inch thick. At breakfast I ordered a boiled egg and the waiter said I don't know if we can do that even though the menu showed eggs any style So he asks the cook if that is possible! Another patron at breakfast was complaining that her hash browns were still frozen and her bacon was not cooked. I overheard the cook telling a patron that she had worked restaurants at MGM in Las Vegas and at a resort in Florida but that was difficult to believe. It is unfortunate they do not take more pride in their restaurant and hire a competent chef. It would not take too much effort to serve decent food. Previous management served good food.

2 Thank Liz8559
Liz M, Director of Sales at North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you so much for your candid review. We appreciate all feedback, and I have taken the liberty of forwarding your comments directly to our entire management team, so an appropriate solution can be achieve as soon as possible. Please accept our most sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory experience.
We strive to offer the very best service to our guests with flawless hospitality, and our team did not meet these standards.
Thank you once again for your thoughts and perspective regarding the Lodge at Stehekin.

All the Best!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I really liked this place. Hard to go wrong in such a beautiful setting, but they were really trying. A lot of the negative reviews have been for the service. Believe me they are working on this issue. The staff was extremely friendly and would ask me 2-3 times per day if I needed anything. They saw I had a baby, and offered me a crib. I told them I had my own pack and play and they followed up by asking if I needed sheets and blankets for it. Nice touch. The kitchen unit I had was full of sunlight and the cooking stuff there was simple but adequate. The bed was amazingly comfortable, high thread count sheets, nice comfortable, good mattress and pillows.

If you are not staying in a kitchen unit and want more space, there is a large recreation hall with comfy couches, tables that can seat your whole party for dinner, and even TV and internet for emergencies. It would be really, really nice if they would update their board games, the ones we found were completely hammered and did not have all the pieces. This would be a low cost and effective way to promote the unplugged atmosphere of the place. It would also be nice if they included cards and maybe poker chips in the rec room. They do have a really nice pool table there.

There is also an outdoor picnic area with a fire place overlooking the lake that is also really nice.

The one complaint I have is the restaurant. The food was not great, we ordered the fish and chips and were served french fries that were old, overcooked and inedible. I always believe in telling the staff the negatives and let them fix it before I give a bad review, so I told the waiter. He said he would look into it and also bring us fresh fries. He walked off and we never saw him again. Pretty lame. In general, the service at the restaurant was pretty bad. Surly kids who didn't seem like they wanted to be there. You are much better off sucking it up and going 2 miles up the road to the bakery. Better yet, go to the organic farm halfway up the road to the bakery and get all the produce, goat dairy products, honey, and loads more from the friendly farmer.

6 Thank damon s
Coronado
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I always stay in a room with a view. The rooms are expensive, with no tv, refrigeration or air conditioning. The beds are so very comfortable. No cell service which is expected. Cleanliness of
Room excellent. Housekeeper so very kind and wants to please. Last visit the food in the Lodge
was OUTSTANDING! Sorry to say new food company running the restaurant, ( contracted for 3 more years ) is pretty bad. At dinner I watched the waiter ask 3 customers how was their meal?
All 3 gave kind, but negative responses to food. I had planned to eat all my meals in the restaurant based on my previous experience of great food. Left 1 day early because food, service,
Quality of groceries to purchase In The Lodge was so poor quality. The staff all very wonderful and displeased with the new management and low pay scale.

Room Tip: My suggestion is plan on bringing some food if staying at The Lodge. There is a bakery and ranch a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Nancy L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stehekin
AbbyCreek Inn
#4 of 8 in Winthrop
Freestone Inn
Freestone Inn
#1 of 3 in Mazama

Been to North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin? Share your experiences!