“Great Cabins”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stevenson
Columbia Gorge Riverside Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in the cabin closest to the train tracks. The train was noisy, but with ear plugs we slept great. The cabins were very clean and comfortable. The cabins are right next to the water, so it was fun to watch some of the people wind sailing on the water. There was no TV, but there was internet, so a laptop and netflix fixed that. Don't let the reviews of the loud train scare you off, this place is great!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

This place is exactly as the inn keepers describe it on their website....Simple and rustic. But oh what a view! We stayed in the large number 1 cabin. You can sit in the hot tub (no jets) and watch the sunrise over the mountains and river which is only a 100 feet away. The beds were simple but not uncomfortable. This cabin would be a good choice if traveling with children. As for the trains... If you think they might be a problem for you don't book here. You will not get any sleep. Trains come through 2-3 times an hour all night. However we are all heavy sleepers so it wasn't a problem. Trains run on both sides of the river all the way trough this area so your not going to find a place this close to the river and with this amazing view without the trains. If a simple ambiance is your thing this place is for you.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My mom and I stayed here on a recent girl's trip to Oregon. What a beautiful spot! The view is amazing and we really enjoyed watching all of the windsurfers at the park next door. There is also a nice walking path beside the river that takes you to another park and boat ramp. The cabin was spotless, and even though it was in the 90s during the day, we didn't miss the AC. You can open up the windows to get a nice crossbreeze off the river. We stayed in the Afrika cabin and the bathroom is a bit cramped, but it was not a problem for us. The only reason this place did not rate an "Excellent" is the train situation. I consider myself a heavy sleeper and I counted 9 trains the first night between 10:30 pm and 3:30 am. That said, my mom slept through them all. The second night there were only 3 trains and I did use the earplugs that they provide. The owner, staff and location are all very lovely and you can't beat the value.

Room Tip: The upstairs units are naturally warmer - depending on the time of year that could be good or bad.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My sister and I stayed at NW Passage Cabin, the grounds are beautiful, there is no AC/ No TV, and the WiFi is sketchy...we didn't care about not having a TV, but AC would of been nice to have since it was 97 degrees out...the trains that blow their horn all hours of the night...every 30-55 mins the train comes threw and in the middle of the night the train WILL wake you up..even the earplugs that are placed on the bedside for you to use does NOT help because the train is only a few hundred feet from the cabin...the staff is very friendly and helpful. Other than the train and not having AC it was perfect. loved the little kitchenette.

Room Tip: if you can afford it, stay in cabin 1, it is much larger, and furthest from train noise...and privat...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tweeti3811
Reviewed 25 August 2013

They warned me about the trains on their web site and if you stay in the Afrika cabin, take heed! We had 10-12 trains during the night and they are l o u d . It was in the 90's during the day and the cabin lacks AC or a fan so it was stuffy until it cooled off at night.

But...it was great in spite of the limitations. The bed was comfy although their "futon" was only 1/2 sized and more appropriate for a young kid more than my 6 foot son. The view of the river is fantastic and you can walk to the restaurants in town.

Given that we paid $69 for the night, I would say this is a superior value. A fun and unusual place to stay and the staff was friendly and helpful. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank benc766
Reviewed 20 August 2013

First of all, if you're looking for a great Pacific Northwest experience, this is the place to stay. We (party of 3) stayed in Afrika and it was plenty of room for the all of us. There was a mini kitchen and the view of the Columbia River from the room was amazing. As far as the view goes, it looks like there's no bad room on the property. For under $100, it's hard to find a room with a kitchen and a nice relaxing soaking tub on the deck with the view of the Gorge. I love that great food is within walking distance, if you decide not to cook in their mini kitchen.

Trains come through once every few hours, and the trains do whistle when it goes through Stevenson. I find it entertaining to listen to the whistles and its patterns, but most train engineers are courteous about not laying down the whistle in the middle of the night. With that said, I usually hear the train whistle in my sleep, wake up for 10 seconds and pass out again. No big deal at all. They even have earplugs for you if you need, but we didn't use them. After a long day whitewater rafting on the White Salmon, we were so tired that the train was the least of our problems. The owners told us that the train whistles will be a thing of the past soon (not that we really cared).

Some people find the trains a burden, we find it a lot like the Gorge: another wonderful experience.

Room Tip: There's a fan in the closet if you get warm!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mulb
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Clean, large space with cool loft sleeping area for kids or friends. Kitchenette with coffee maker, micro, toaster, etc. Next to a public beach, which is a good thing cause during the day we had great views of the Columbia River from the back porch maybe 20 yards from the water and there were kite boarders and wind surfers all over the water, and at night, we had the river view to ourselves. Easy walk to everything in Stevenson. I was a little concerned about train noise but there was almost no noise. If you don't want the monster lodge experience, this is a terrific place to stay.

Room Tip: If you can get the room that fronts the river, do it. Well worth a few extra dollars for the privac...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Red B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
#6 of 8 in Hood River
Skamania Lodge
Skamania Lodge
#1 of 4 in Stevenson

Been to Columbia Gorge Riverside Lodge? Share your experiences!