“Great holiday family fun”
Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We just spent Saturday night here with our adult children and 2 Grandkids (6&9'years old). Everyone had a great time. The lodge was beautifully decorated. There were lots of holiday activities all day and night for both kids and adults. Some were free, some cost a little, but the were reasonable. The front desk service was great. The rooms were comfy and we had a great view. We had my husbands gbirthday dinner in the dining room and it was pretty good. Jessica was our server and she was great. The food was good except the chicken. I was even able to order a customized birthday cake. Nachos is the bar were excellent. There were lots of lookout points and waterfalls and the way from Portland. It was an easy, fun drive. I would definitely recommend this hotel for the view and location. And especially for the holidays.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

We are excited to hear that you had a great family vacation with us. Skamania Lodge is a wonderful place to enjoy the holidays and we are pleased that you enjoyed many or the activities that we had to offer. You may also want to know that we have great holdiay plans for 2014 and are completing our plans for a very exciting Valentine's weekend. Thank you again for staying with us.

Ken Daugherty

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My fireside room (in back wing, away from view) did have a nice fireplace and forest view. Could see filtered view of the porte cochere through the trees, but it was not "front and center" in the view at all. No other rooms could look in my window, which was nice.
All is functional in the room and no issues. Temperature stays quite nicely constant. It's very quiet overall. I could hear kids running in the room above, but not too loudly.
The centerpiece of the hotel is the lobby, aka "Gorge Room." It's a place to sit by the fire and contemplate.
I was here at a low occupancy time and had it almost to myself. Monday night in the first week of December, with not a conference/meeting group in sight, the parking lot has about 20 cars at 9pm...
Have not tried the restaurant but it looks great. Service at front desk was great. Housekeeping seems on top of things.
So far, I have no complaints and lots of relaxation at Skamania.
If you are thinking about scheduing for a work meeting here, I think it would be a relaxing getaway. If you're thinking for vacation with the family (such as Christmas time), you may have lots of the place to yourself, but it has a quiet peacefulness and warmth that I think you would enjoy. The smell of woodburning from the huge lobby fireplace stretches out in the hallway from the lobby for at least 100 feet, and you can smell it as you near the area - very nice feeling.

Room Tip: Note there is a back wing, which is hard to see in any picture you can find. In other words, all th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Ken D, Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtful review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the relaxing and peaceful setting and your interaction with our team. The Gorge Room is a very special place to relax, read a book and perhaps enjoy a glass of wine. Another great place to relax is in our spa. We offer a full range of spa services iin a warm and comfortable setting. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Our stay here was a let down. We were supposed to stay for the entire weekend but checked out a 6am after our first night's stay. The bed was so uncomfortable that I could not sleep at all and my pressure points were in pain from trying to sleep on the bed. The room we had was equipped with a gas fireplace that would not stay lit due to the high winds and our room was so cold we could not warm up. The room was a bit run down and smelled funny. There was a lot of noise from the hall and from the joining room door you could hear the people next door like they were in the same room. The other areas of the hotel, meeting rooms and restuarants were also cold. The only good thing about our experience is that the staff were really nice.

Room Tip: If there is any wind it will blow out the pilot light in the fireplace and you will hear loud whistl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane W

Oh no! We like to think that everyone that visits Skamania Lodge has a great experience but we also know that at times, we can fall short. I do want you to know that we are replacing our beds now and we have resolved the issue with the fireplace. Yes, the wind can really blow in the Gorge and from time to time, we need to adjust the pilot lights. We certainly thank you for letting us know about this issue. We are pleased that you enjoyed our staff and we do hope that you come back and try us again. I think if you read through our reviews that you will find that we provide an excellent experience in one of the most magnificent areas in the Northwest.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I have spent an overnight here every so often over the year or two. I've probably stayed here at least 4 times. Each time, we've had a lovely room facing the river (where the trains come by). I've always had a great night's sleep when I've stayed there. very comfortable rooms.

We've also taken advantage of the outdoor hot tub a number of times as we had on our last visit in October 2013. It's beautiful.

The food is great. It's no cheap by any means, but we always enjoy what we've had, and the Sunday brunch is phenomenal. Great seafood and great Bloody Marys.

Going Above & Beyond: My Dad came to town in January of 2013 and all of us stayed at Skamania for my birthday. When we checked-in, my Dad and my Husband decided to ask if the pastry chef could put together a cake for me for dinner. With just hours to spare, they did it. At dinner the night we checked in, the pastry chef herself showed up with this enormous, fabulous cake with candles and all. It was lovely. I wanted cake the next time I stayed there this past October!

Also, if you care about these things like many of my Portland residents do, they are very conscientious about conserving and preserving and make efforts to use renewable energy, compost, recycle and make good decisions as it pertains to this.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Wow! what a wonderful review. We are so happy that you have stayed with us many times and that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us. October is a beautiful time of year in the Gorge and we are glad that you were able to be here to see the colors change and enjoy the outdoor whirlpool. We are very pleased that you were happy with your birthday cake and I want to let you know that we have a new chocolate chipotle lava cake on our menu that you must try on your next visit. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

the lodge is very nice, it was raining while we were here, but still nice & cozy. we were on the 3rd floor & our door overlooked the lobby area, around traveled very badly and it was a very noisy night. there were also a TON of kids. not sure if it was an event of some sort, but they were also running up the halls until late. We heard that the Sunday brunch is great, but it was a 2 hour waiting list, it was weird that there were about 1/4 empty tables, but they were not seating people at these, we opted to just go to the bar for bloody marys and sit by the fireplace. Next time I would like to try to ziplines, just not in the rain :)

there was an error with my spa appt, but they have done everything to correct this and I am very pleased with the customer service!

Room Tip: dont get a room above the lobby fireplace area
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

So beautiful here. Great food, great views. Such a friendly staff. Naomi at the front desk was amazing. A true professional. So friendly and helpful. Nice to see that still happening in this day and age. Also Luke was super friendly as well. Great spa as well.

Room Tip: Go for the view room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Naomi and Luke took extra special care of you. We are also happy that you enjoyed your spa treatments. We have just added a new line of skin care products in our spa called Eminence that you may want to try next time as our guests are really enjoying the products.

Ken

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Location is incredible for day hikers looking to explore the gorge on both the Washington and Oregon sides of the river. The property itself has many walking trails, a good resturaunt, friendly staff, a great bar, spectacular golf, and hourly activities. However take advantage of the hikes along the gorge and its many waterfalls.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Neil S

From one hiker to another I thank you for your response. I have been hikiing the Gorge for many years and I would love to get together and compare notes on our favorite hikes. I am pleased that you also enjoyed the many amenities that the resort has to offer and especially pleased that you enjoyed the service here. On your next trip to the lodge, I encourage you to try our new zipline. We have enjoyed great feedback from our guests and I can tell you personally that it is an exhilarating experience. As a matter of fact, we just started our night zips which brings an entire new element of fun. Thank you again and be sure to stop by and see me on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!