“Nice place, really more 3.5 than 4, but I rounded up!”
Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Skamania is a beautiful resort. We had planned to stay for 3 nights, but ended up adding an extra night because there is so much to do in the area. We had reserved a fireplace room with gorge view and put in for an upgrade. Ended up in a balcony suite on the 3rd floor. There are only 4 balcony suites in the hotel and we loved the room.

The suite was very spacious and clean. Bed very comfy. Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Food in the restaurant great.

So why did I struggle with rating and not just give 5 stars? Well, there were a couple of issues that kept the place from being perfect. First, was the lack of Spa appointments. I didn't want a massage, but I did want other services. Those other services are considered 'add on' and only available with a full service item i.e. massage or mani/pedi. I would have loved to have a mani/pedi, but no appointments were available (I even called ahead 4 days before checkin and nothing available except massages.) So not only could I not get the mani/pedi, I couldn't get any other service either unless I got a massage. Very frustrating. Second, was limited hours of the gift shop/store. We arrived about 3 p.m. on Thursday, got checked in, looked around, and then when to the gift shop for snacks. By that time it was a little after 5 p.m. and it was closed. There were many other times during our 4 day stay that we wanted something from the shop only to find it closed.

There is a beautiful central room by the checkin area, I think it's the 'Gorge Room' where there is a huge wood burning fireplace. I've never seen such a busy area in a hotel before. Lots of people hanging out, which is nice, just too bad there isn't more seating available. They had wine tasting from a local winery while we were there. It wasn't free, but for the nominal charge of $5 you could taste 4 different wines or get 1 full serving. There was also free cheese and crackers. That was a very nice service, but again, not a lot of seating. It's a very large area but doesn't accommodate very many people at a time.

Again, it's a beautiful resort, lots to do at the resort and in the gorge area. I would stay there again if I was in the area.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We have gone to Skamania Lodge in winter for a number of years for a quiet cozy stay. It was not fancy and not trendy, but great food, views, and ambience. In past few years this has changed, so I am writing this updated review. The main room has been re-done by a decorator and where there use to be rows of rockers in front of fireplace and rows of chairs facing the view, there are now only a few chairs by fire and weird uncomfortable chairs on view side, such as a rattan bean chair. There are also higher room rates (I was quoted $80 upgrade to be on river side) including a new $20 charge if you want to reserve a specific room. Some people might like the decor, including painting of large blue reindeer, but I would prefer to sit by the fire, which is unlikely with only two rockers there. There is a new zip line that will appeal to some, but I would prefer to use the hot tub, which was closed last time we visited, without prior warning or discount. Skamania Lodge is in a nice location and the changes will be appealing to some. However, I feel the need to revise my earlier stellar reviews. We are searching for another winter getaway place, though we still take visitors to the restaurant when driving the gorge from Portland.

Room Tip: If you choose a room, they will charge you $20 plus any upgrade fee. This annoyed me enough that I w...
Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

jillben,

It is always good to hear from our guest and I appreciate your comments on the artwork and furniture update. The Gorge Room furniture was past life and in need of an update, as with any change or update there is mixed opinion (positive, neutral, and negative) on the direction of a particular designer. Like yours, every comment regardless of opinion has been thoughtful and demonstrates the passion that our guest have for Skamania Lodge. The goal is to update and appeal to a broad audience of customers without changing the character of Skamania as a Grand NW Lodge.

I hope you will find that Skamania will always be a lodge that delivers the warm, friendly environment you have come to enjoy. The individuals and team are what truly make Skamania a special place.

I hope you will continue to be a supporter of Skamania Lodge.

Respectfully,

Ken Daugherty

Reviewed 12 January 2014

As part of a wedding party in September, I much enjoyed Skamania, the first time I had stayed there. The staff attention, catering and food/beverage service were very good. The wedding venue was outdoors, with a gorgeous view of the Columbia River in the distance. This is a pure Pac NW green and wooded setting with walking trails, golf course, spacious hot tub/pool in a "natural" outdoor setting, huge indoor Olympic pool and spa. The wedding couple rented a large room overlooking the prime view, with fireplace, TV, kitchenette, wet bar while guests stayed in adjoining or nearby rooms. It was a delightful weekend houseparty. The bar will bring drinks to the hot pool. They stayed open an extra hour (until midnight) for our group. The restaurant is large, beamed, with view. The central lounge with big lodge fireplace attracts many guests to just sit down, look out the window and read a book or converse by the fire. very relaxing. About an hour's drive east on Washington Hwy 14 from downtown Portland. Slightly further east of the Lodge is Carson Hot Springs for more soaking and relaxing, as well as some of the wine country of Washington and Oregon, the Maryhill Museum, Hood River, etc. Plenty of sights nearby to make a full family weekend or just go and enjoy the amenities of the Lodge.
i booked a mani-pedi in the spa and was pleased with the high quality. a good place to spend a rainy weekend or a sunny one.

Room Tip: ask for river view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I last minute booked for New Years. We had a great time! We did the dance and had a great dinner in the bar. Had a great day people watching in the beautiful lobby during the day! We will be back soon! Fun romantic get away but great for families too!

Room Tip: Go with the upgrade to get a room with a sitting area and fireplace. It is worth it. Sometimes the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a joke on so many levels. Even at a Groupon rate it was a waste of money. From check in/out to trying to get a meal it was ridiculous. No fridge or microwave and two hours to get a meal. It was a zoo and the final jab was trying to check out for 20 minutes and their coffee bar was drained. We had to go to town to get a meal and a cup of coffee. Almost forgot... the bed and pillows pretty much sucked.

Room Tip: avoid the beds and slamming doors and you might get some sleep
1  Thank Terry R
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I visit at least once a year for a weekend getaway and are usually satisfied with our stay. We often recommend Skamania for short escapes. However, this trip, a two night stay right before Christmas was rather disappointing and a huge let down.

Let me first say that the staff, front desk, both restaurants and the spa were all nice. Victor the bellman, always exceptionally kind. The food was really good overall.

The problems:

-There were drops of blood on the bathroom counter. I took a picture on my phone to the front desk and asked to change rooms and was relocated to another room. Although the the two young men at the front desk apologized, I never heard from a single manager. Not to see if the new room was satisfactory, if I was fine, nothing. Having some experience in hotel management I feel they dropped the ball here. I tried to be understanding because it was a very busy weekend, however, this changed the mood of my entire weekend.

-I scheduled a massage at the spa and the room was so cold it was hard to relax. My masseuse was even cold and went to the "relaxation room" to retrieve a small space heater in an attempt to heat the space. Did not enjoy experience.

FYI Groupon users- my husband and I purchased a groupon for here that had expired which you can still use the value of the purchase amount at the establishment. So, basically we were thinking it was the same concept as having a gift card with x dollars to use. We were told it could only be used for room charges? Since it was now a dollar for dollar value we did not understand why it could not be used for incidentals, like $17 resort fees and taxes etc. Just wondering?

Would we return? We still have our expired groupon for room only. Everybody deserves a second chance, this time I will not forget the clorox wipes.

2  Thank Jay S
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We loved the pool, outdoor hot tub, indoor spa, lobby fireplace with ample space for reading or family games, restaurant options--a great place to relax after a rigorous hike up Dog Mountain. Staff were very helpful. We'll definitely come back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!