“Average Hotel in Excellent Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Tigard, Oregon
“Average Hotel in Excellent Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The location is what set's this hotel apart. There is a very nice spa and a municipal golf course. The river views from the restaurant, bar, lobby sitting are all beautiful. The hotel rooms themselves are average quality. The food in the restaurant is also average quality. Service overall is very friendly. I have not had a fireplace room, but had a river view room on my last visit, and it adds a lot over the rooms facing inward. The gift shop is really well stocked with everything you need. I have not tried the zip line, but there were a lot of families there with kids both days.

Room Tip: on the river, away from the lobby.
Green Features: Eco friendly practices are not really noticeable, except for the low flow shower heads, which are not a problem, so they are as they should be.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Joelovesliving -

We love living too and especially love living in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge. It sounds like you were able to utilize many of our services including the spa, golf course and General Store. I highly encourage you to try the zipline on your next visit as the ziplinie team provides a very invigorating and safe experience. It sounds like you were less impressed with your guestroom but I wanted to share with you that we just invested $300,000 in our rooms and we hope that you will notice the difference on your next visit with us.

Here's to Loving Life!

Ken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Hungarian first
Gresham, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We go there, (only a 1/2 hour drive from our home) to relax. BIG TIP, if you sign up for their frequent guest plan, you will get upgraded, how nice is that! We have always been treated so well and everyone is so nice form the front desk all the way to the bell person,, (Lori,(she has taken our luggage the last two times we stayed there ) has been working for them since they opened their doors and is very knowledgeable of the area). The view is one of the best views in the world. By the crackling fire in the lobby is a great place to park yourself to read. The out door Jacuzzi is a great place to look at the stars, while you are unwinding, after a great day there. We usually walk into Stevenson, to eat at least one meal, at some of the nice restaurants there. If you can, stay two nights, that way you will feel relaxed, or else you will wish you did. Oh I found out if you like the pine cones they have to hang on your room door, you can buy one to take home in the gift shop, (BUT PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ONE FROM YOUR ROOM, as a souvenir, because the girls in the gift shop, tie the twine on them by hand and their fingers get poked while fixing them, (I saw the band aids on the girls fingers form working on these. Besides going there several time a year with my husband, I have taken by best friends up there as a birthday gift, just for lunch, the drive and the view and the food is worth it. For those who feel adventuresome, they now have, Zip Lining so sign up and go for it. We Love It Here!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzanneLG
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We had a wonderful time for our
1st visit.
When I had concerns about the type of room I had
Booked it was correct with a smile and no extra
Charge
Wonderful service
The restaurant food and service is the best
The grounds of trails r great
Best view of the river in the area and close to the
Waterfalls

• Stayed April 2014
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Every visit to this resort has been as good as or better than the previous. With over 5 visits at various times of the year, we've seen Skamania Lodge covered in snow and blooming in the spring (usually a fair bit of rain in between). It's the little details I notice. The flooring in the main entry is incredible, the public décor is everything I'd love in my own mountain lodge, and the fireplace burning real wood and crackling as people huddle around to share stories of the day. My favorite pieces are two long tables with barked tree stumps as legs down in the conference center.

The fireplace in the room is always a nice touch and I thank the lodge every time they upgrade us to these slightly nicer rooms, but even the standard room is just great. A suite would be sweet for families, but I generally prefer to leave the kids behind for these trips.

Sadly, I'm not a fan of the dining experiences we've had there, but being so close to Hood River, White Salmon, and Skamania, we could always find great places to eat that weren't "hotel food."

Room Tip: A fireplace in the basic king room really adds so much, especially in the winter. I've had suit...
Green Features: I found the shampoo dispenser in the shower unique. I'm tired of wasting tiny bottles of cheap shampoo, so this seems to be a better practice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelNurseOHN
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
It's outstanding to hear that you have been with us over 5 times and that each visit is as good or better than the previous. I love the fact that you appreciate the decor of the building and there is a lot to discover about our hotel. I am assuming that the flooring that you like so much is the slate floriing in the lobby. It is actually called "Montana No-Name Slate" which will come in handy when you need to order your slate for your mountain cabin. Also, did you know that the wood floor in the Gorge Room is over 200 years old? We used a lot of recycled products when building the resort including many of our vertical beams that came from the Bumble Bee Tuna Factory. I'd love to show you more on your next visit.

I appreciate your comment regarding dining and I want you to know that we are very focused on raising the bar in the Cascade Dining Room and The River Rock to create experiences that are authentic and inspired. To that end, we just hired Mark Henry to be our new Executive Chef and he brings to us a world of experience and energy that will get us to our goals quickly. Also, please check our webpage as we are continuing to add concerts and culinary events for our spring and summer activities. This would be a good opportunity to meet Chef Henry and sample his cuisinie.

Ken
Belfair, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Overall experience was great. We enjoyed the lounge, the restaurant, the pool and hot tub, the fitness center, the game room, our guest room, the staff, the ambiance, the decor. Everything was great and in accordance with the rates. You get what you pay for. Very comfortable beds. Get a River view room and watch the beautiful sunrise in the morning. We will definately come back next time we're traveling in the Gorge.

Room Tip: Get a River view room and watch the beautiful sunrise in the morning.
Green Features: There are many environmentally friendly practices and guest opportunities on site.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here while I attended a conference in March. While there's not much to do for little ones, it was comfortable and relaxing. Food was great.

Cons: our room was the FURTHEST possible from the conference area where I was spending most of my time. Wifi, though included, was really spotty in your room (and when you're confined to staying in there, and or working during your conference, it is important). We also asked for a late checkout due to the end time of my conference, but the desk would only extend to 12 pm... Making it extremely difficult for my husband to care for our 5-month-old son for the remainder of my course (4 pm). I understand that they couldn't extend the check out for all participants of the course, but I thought that it was in bad taste after three-nights-stay they couldn't even allow a day use. Too bad, it was almost a five-star review!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Jen K

Thank you for the review! We always enjoy hearing from our guests. Guest comfort and convenience are always our highest priority, we happily accommodate any guests preferences so please do not hesitate to request your guest room be near the conference center on your next visit. As technology continues to expand and become such an integral part of everyday life we find ourselves constantly upgrading our Wifi bandwidth and data port access points. Thank you for the feedback however, we will take another look at our systems. We sure wish we could accommodate every late checkout request. Unfortunately, there are days were ensuring we deliver on the 4pm check in time needs to take priority. We do however always extend day use of the entire facility when we are unable to extend the checkout time. We hope that your family found the Gorge Room or pool area relaxing while you attended the remainder of your conference. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ken Daugherty
Winston, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our family stayed at this lodge March 26 and 27, 2014. We booked a suite (Room 492) as we have a large family.

Our suite was very impressive. It actually looked like a brand new room! Not even a fingerprint was left on a mirror. Everything smelled good. The king-size bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on, and we have stayed in many, many hotels over the years. Downstairs, the fireplace in the main room was so cozy, as were the many beautiful chairs to relax in. The view is amazing. The food was great!

We were here for my husband's conference, and Jean was our server during our banquet. She really knew her job well, and was so quick and so nice!!! We complimented her on the wonderful job she was doing, and she told us that it was her very first day! WOW!

All of the staff at this lodge were so friendly, smiling, knew their job, and acted like they loved being there. Justin at the front desk reminded us so much of our nephew back home. He went above and beyond to help us with activities, coupons for the nearby museum, places to eat, etc. We just happened to see him at the local grocery store after work one evening, and he was just as nice and friendly there! Very impressive! The manager, Doug, (he was here from San Diego, CA) had the best customer service that we have ever seen in a hotel manager. He, too, really knew his stuff!! Other hotel managers should take lessons from him. Your whole team did everything physically possible to make our stay perfect.

Room Tip: Our room was spacious. The king size bed was heavenly. The suite came with a blow dryer, microwave...
Green Features: If you decide not to have maid service, the hotel will give you a certificate for $5 per day to use in the gift shop, restaurant, etc. I was impressed that the restaurant gave me a cardboard carry-out container rather than styrofoam.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind note regarding your recent stay. Our Housekeeping Team strives to create an incredibly welcoming environment and sincerely appreciates your remarks above. While we can’t take credit for the views, we are happy to learn that our cuisine complimented the grandeur of The Gorge. Our entire team hopes to have the good fortune of welcoming you and your family back soon.

Ken Daugherty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
#4 of 8 in Hood River
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!