“So much potential.....”

GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon, United States
“So much potential.....”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The setting and interior of this lodge speak of so much potential. The bar and main sitting area have a fabulous view. But the management is mediocre and it colors your stay. The kitchen does not know how to handle special diets. Imagine a lentil curry with pasta AND potatoes. The rooms are spacious and pleasant but lack some basic amenities - no refrigerator, no dvd player. And for my husband and I, no cell service. All in all not what I hoped.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Patty Portland,

We are pleased that you enjoyed the interior of the lodge and the views but dissapointed that you did not enjoy your meal and felt our rooms lacked basic amenities. The dish that you described as a lentil curry with pasta AND potatoes was actually lentils, tofu and basmati rice and has been well received by many guests. Although we do not have microwave ovens, and refrigerators in all of our rooms, we have refrigerators in all riverside guest rooms and our suites have microwave ovens as well. Please let us know when making a reservation and we will be sure to book you in a room that has the amenities that you require. I'm not sure which cell provider you use but I want you to know that we have an enhanced signal with Verizon and we are adding an AT&T metrocell as well.

We wish you a wonderful summer and hope to see you again in the very near future.

Ken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Hungarian first
Carmichael, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Comfortable lodge; however, my expectation was that a river view room would have a river view, not an inch of river visible on occasion. The lobby was large and pleasant enough for sitting and looking out the huge windows, but our room was small and very "motel-ish" in decor, size, and amenities. There were several people in attendance for a sales meeting, so the bar did get rather crowded later in the evening. The restaurant, on the other hand, was almost empty. I would recommend this lodge to families traveling down the Columbia River.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We always enjoy going to Skamania Lodge. We actually went zip lining this trip and enjoyed it very much!! We have stayed at Skamania 4 other times. The view, the service in the restaurants and the location just can't be beat!!

We will be back!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa B
Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

What a wonderful place, this Skamania Lodge. Tucked in the tall pines with views of the Columbia River and surrounding mountains. Fabulous golf course, Gourmet restaurant with local favorites, relaxing spa and exciting zip line. There is fun for everyone.

Room Tip: While even the forest view rooms are nice, ask for a view of the river. There are a few exceptional...
Green Features: VERY environmentally conscience. GreenLeaders Silver Level. Linen Reuse, recycling.
1 Thank Carmensmom
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hi Carmensmom- What a wonderful note. We love to hear from our guests who have taken advantage of the activities that we offer. It sounds like you conquered our challenging golf course! I tell everyone, if you want to be a good golfer, play our course. You have to think about every shot and then you are rewarded with amazinig greens. Next time you are out, let me know. I'll go ziplining with you!

Ken
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I had another great stay at Skamania (probably my 10th time). I left something small behind and they found it two weeks later, called me and mailed it back to me. I hadn't even realized I had left it when they called. Typical of their customer service at a great hotel in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: The river views are more expensive but the view is worth it from my perspective.
1 Thank alanspar
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 21 May 2014

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. When the front desk man found out we were there for our anniversary he arranged a complimentary room upgrade for us. The service simply could not have been better. Our room overlooked the Columbia River and the golf course. The view was amazing! The room was large with a fireplace and sofa and an overstuffed leather arm chair that my husband loved. The bathroom was large with great toiletries and luxurious robes. The outdoor spa was beautiful. It was surrounded by flowers, trees, and rock formations that made you feel like you were out by a creek. The back patio and grounds were great too. There is a really big fire pit with Adirondack chairs surrounding it. We sat out there at night and enjoyed our drinks by the fire watching the moon rise. We had dinner in the dining room and it was delicious. The scallop appetizer was to die for and our New York Strip steaks were cooked to perfection.

If you are looking for a romantic, upscale hotel with great views and a superior staff you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the river and gold course.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mickishell3
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel is definitely one to see a beautiful view and attend a conference (which is why I was there.) I've been to a lot of conferences and ate a lot of hotel food BUT I will have to admit the food at this conference was the absolute BEST.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back with no view but with the room rate we paid, didn't expect a view from...
Green Features: I did not see any "reuse towel or change sheets" cards. If they had them they were not visible and it might be wise to start using them. Sure would help with housekeeping!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
#5 of 8 in Hood River
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!