“Beautiful Lodgings”

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had the pleasure of attending a 3 day conference at the Skamania Lodge this spring and thoroughly enjoyed the facilities. The room was luxurious and comfortable--but in a casual way befitting the setting and architecture. The staff was very helpful, the food delicious, and the grounds a welcome respite from long meeting sessions. I'm sure that if I was here on vacation I would find it equally enjoyable and look forward to doing that sometime.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Bob M,

We greatly appreciate your review. Skamania Lodge was designed after the grand lodge’s of the National Park Service- so it was designed to be comfortable. And, we are happy that you found it this way. Whether visiting with us on business or pleasure, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Ken Daugherty

Write a ReviewReviews (2,563)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Let me start by saying that I feel that when you're on a vacation, you should be AT LEAST as comfortable as you would be at home. This is not the case at Skamania. I visited the lodge with my small family for a conference for my husbands work. We were put in a room with 2 double beds, which was supposed to be sufficient for 4 people... I'm sorry, but year is it? Since when is a double bed sufficient for 2 people? Couples barely sleep together on a queen now a days, let alone a double... Apparently we even had an "upgraded" room, due to the mini fridge that was delightfully tucked into a closet near the bathroom (weird). This was advertised as a riverside room, although the only view from our window was the grounds and a tiny sliver of river... No fan and terrible lighting in the bathroom, black out drapes that didn't meet in the middle, and 2 flimsy pillows per bed all add into the mediocrity of this hotel. I mean, if I were just there for the sights, and maybe a meal, I would have been happy. Every employee and manager I came across was more than pleasant. But to advertise this place as a resort and then have the rooms be so bleh is really false advertisement. Glad I didn't pay for the stay, and my concerns were passed to my husbands employer as well.

Room Tip: Probably higher floors have better views. If youre a family and planning on bed sharing, clarify wha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Melissa C
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Hi Melissa - It sounds like we fell short of your guestroom expectations however I want to point out that we have King, Queen and Double beds (all brand new this year) and we have suites and connecting rooms that better accomodate families. You are right though, double beds are a bit on the small side however we have many families and groups that prefer this option as it provides a lower cost alternative to a suite. As you pointed out, the views are better on the upper floors and we have upgraded our bedding packages in all of our fourth floor rooms. Next visit, try a fourth floor suite. I think that will be more to your liking.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Skamania Lodge weekend has become our family's yearly get-away. Grown-ups played golf, whole family enjoyed spa and swimming pool. Backyard overlooks beautiful Columbia River Gorge and views are amazing. I've seen weddings here, too. Very nice place for making memories like that.

We love the breakfast burritos from the grill located behind Golf shop. Very affordable option to start the day.

Staff is great, very friendly. We will come back next year!

Room Tip: Our family of 4 enjoyed Columbia room. It has a fireplace in the bedroom, separate "living"...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Vilijonka - Thank you for the kind note. We love it when our guests return year after year. Did you try ouor zipline this trip? We have a great team providinig the tours and I highly recommend it.

Look me up when you are here next. I would love to meet you.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The view of the gorge from the patios and outdoor fireplace is truly stunning. You feel that you're in a remote location in a beautiful setting. I visited for a conference and was very pleased to stay somewhere that wasn't your typical hotel. There are many things to do, however the rooms are a bit outdated. Either way, great place to stay, with friendly staff and a gorgeous environment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the gorge!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello Suhaymah - Thank you for your very kind note. The Columbia River Gorge is a magical place with many activities and we are blessed to be located here. Also, thank you so much for visiting us all the way from Baton Rouge. Skamania Lodge just turned 21 years old and we make significant improvements each year adn our priority is our guests comfort. Thank you again for your note and we hope we see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Spent three days with my wife, four month old baby, and our in-laws. Resort is on a beautiful piece of land with spectacular views of the gorge. Lots to do - zip lines, trails, golf course, and pretty close to a tiny little town with a few restaurants (and a brewery). We had a standard interior room with no view, no frills, and no real update since the early nineties. Overall we had a really nice time, thought the location was great, and a pretty good value. Side note, we played the golf course which had really reasonable rates and was very pretty. A fun course but make sure to hit it straight because it's very narrow!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was both my wife and I's favorite place that we have ever stayed. Everything exceeded our expectations including the staff and all of their help. We would highly recommend staying here and plan to return as soon as possible. The room, staff and all of the amenities that they have to offer was perfect. Perfect place to relax and hit the reset button!

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor with a Columbia River view which was amazing to wake up to the sunrise...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy P
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Andy P.,

WOW!!! Thanks so much for the high praise. It is indeed an honor to be placed atop you and your wife’s lists of favorite destinations. We hope to have the good fortune of welcoming you back many times in the months and years to come.

Kind Regards,

Ken Daugherty

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This place is in a beautiful location and has beautiful views. We were here for the memorial weekend and it was super crowded. But thats not something resort can do anything about. BUt what they could do was hire help to manage that crowd. We couldnt get dinner reservations for couple of meals. There is a restaurant for walk-ins but their menu is very limited. No complaints but being on a limited diet, we couldnt find much to pick from the other menu.

We were here with out 6 month old baby and the house keeping did a great job with accommodating us with a crib and whatever we needed. We did some light hiking around the property with our stroller and lounged on the lawn with a picnic basket.(sold separately by the lodge). They had a lot of games setup for families.

I would highly recommend this place for families but try to avoid it on major holidays. There is a lot to do around this location.

Room Tip: Try to pick something close to the elevator, if you mind walking 50 rooms to your room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DetectiveMuffin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!