“Nice staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sumner
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sumner
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Room we had was close to train tracks so we heard the trains, this is why I did not give 5 stars, they treated us well , standard breakfast, rooms clean, would recommend except for train noise.
Staff nice, helpful.

Room Tip: Room away from train tracks
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank carolab

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Last time I visited Seattle, I stayed in the Redmond area (near Microsoft) for about $120 in a very nice hotel. This time, even the lousy flea bag hotels were charging more than $150 per night and more. No way!

After extensive searching I found this Holiday Inn Express Sumner around $100. Although never a fan of the old 'Holiday Inn' Brand, I've found the 'express' hotels to be consistently nice.

Upfront, this is NOT the hotel to stay at if you 1) want to be close to the attractions of Seattle, and 2) you don't have a rental car.

This hotel is way out there. At least 25 minutes south of Sea-Tac Airport and about 40 minutes drive to the center of Seattle, which on a weekend can get very busy.

Hotel Itself:
-Located in some type of industrial area. There are truck depots, railroad tracks, warehouses and the like around this hotel.
-The parking lot and the exterior of the hotel look good enough.
-As it is near the railroad track and a train cruised by when we arrived, ask for train on the opposite side of the building from the tracks.

Room:
-Moderate in appeal, with no significant wear and tear on the furniture. We actually ended up with a suite, which would have slept about four people in a tight fit.

Food Nearby:
-None!!! But the hotel does offer a breakfast in the room next to the lobby every morning. I took a look at it and it would have been alright, but we wanted something better. So we went to the Buttered Biscuit in Sumner (a real cute little town).
-South Center Mall in Tukwila is about 20 minutes away from the hotel and there are several good restaurants there.

Sleep:
-We were dog tired, because we went straight into the city and explored all day, before coming to the hotel that night. But the beds were good and we have no complaints.

Wifi:
-Was complimentary and was fast enough to view short media in news articles and the like.

Bottomline: Although I felt $100 was a lot for a hotel, it was a good value compared to the others. Try it!

Room Tip: Ask for room that is on the opposite side of the building from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A friend and I decided to go spend the 4th of July weekend in the Seattle area. We ended up at the Holiday Inn Express in Sumner mainly for 2 reasons: it was affordable and well located considering that we needed to be in Burkley for private fireworks in the Friday evening and we wanted to visit the mount rainier area before returning in downtown Seattle on the Sunday.i have to admit that at first we were a little bit under shoc when we found the hotel. The hotel was along the highway in an industrial area that at first almost looked like a scrap yard area. My friend was almost speechless...while we had imagined having dinner somewhere around after walking around the Pike market place the whole afternoon, we had to accept the fact that there was no restaurants around and we had to stop by a junk food place on our way to Burkley. Then of course we returned the same night since we had booked the place for 2 nights.we slept very well and had a very acceptable breakfast which was comprised of amazing very fattening cinnamon buns... I never have this kind of food for breakfast but I could nit resist to the smell of it...the day after we went to the crystal mountain ski resort to see Mount Rainier face to face, stopped by a Safeway on our way back to get a salad, local cherries, and of course a nice bottle of wine. Just what we needed to catch up with our lives of the last 6 months. Then we had a second great night of sleep and my first morning thought the morning after was for the cinnamon buns... In the end, even if the location did not appear great at first, the reality is that we were mainly there to sleep and sleep we did. The room was clean and quiet. Pretty good deal in the end....

Room Tip: Ask for the side opposite to the parking lot which will give you a better chance to face Mount Raini...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sumner, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear lapetitemusique,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had such a pleasant and comfortable stay. We also appreciate the good compliments on our cinnamon buns. Our goal is to make your stay the best it can be and it looks like we accomplished our goal. We look forward to making your next stay even more memorable.

Again, thank you for the feedback. Please feel free to stay with us when in the area again

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business. Pleasantly surprised at the available comforts this hotel has.

Close to businesses, quiet, breakfast and wifi included. Staff is friendly and hotel and room were clean. Definitely my go to when I come back again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here for six nights. Sumner is noisy because of trains -- they toot four times at each crossing. The breakfast is excellent -- eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, sausage gravy, a pancake making machine, cereal, muffins, bagels, etc. Plenty of filling food. The room is comfortable and fairly large. Our major problem was a thermostat malfunction -- the thing would not shut off. The hotel engineer said it was one of 7 or 8 that needed replacing. When we got up on the firstr morning, the room was 59 degrees -- like a refrigerator. The hotel was full, so they could not move us. They suggested turning the thermostat and opening the window. That was semi-successful. The room was then too hot.
They did give us a survery to full out which said on it that if something in the room was wrong, they would "pay". So, we asked the manager about it. No, they do not PAY. They will give membership points. Hence, their "Guarantee" is not a guarantee. They do not do what they say they will. Modern business, I guess -- get the money and to hell with the customer.
If we go back to Sumner, I thinkl I might look at other places.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynn830
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sumner, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Lynn830,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am glad to read that you liked our breakfast selection and our large rooms. However, I regret the thermostat condition prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to serving you in the future.

Kind Regards,

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was here on the weekend for my daughter's basketball tournament in Auburn. Check in time was 4pm. I checked in and was able to get a room on time. There were issues with their POS system and they couldn't record my visa (which they already had on file from the reservation). Wanted to write it down, which I wasn't going to allow. They wanted me to come back and check in with them to see if it was working.

I told the coach i would get the team's rooms sorted out, which was 3 rooms. Simple stuff. The front desk was clearly not having a great day and was so rude when dealing with guests. I was told to sit down as she was helping someone else first and would get to me after. No please, very short and definitely rude.

We were able to get 1 room (at 5 pm) but the other 2 rooms weren't available until closer to 7pm. Again, check in is 4. They clearly aren't able to manage a full house. They told us they were fully booked many, many times but the lobby was never very busy.

Outside of the lousy service, the rooms were clean, well stocked and breakfast satisfied the team. I would go back as a last option, but it won't be a go to hotel. There is no restaurant near. You will need to drive. It's in the middle of an industrial area and isn't someplace I would feel safe walking around.

A better attitude by the front desk would have made the issues minor things that we could have worked around. It is not acceptable to treat guests like a huge imposition, especially when you aren't ready to serve.

Room Tip: Stay away from train tracks side. It is loud at night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hb9911
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

This has been one of the worst experiences.
Professional staff and friendly environment. Terrible facility and poor attention to detail by the management.

I have stayed at the facility on three occasions. Had extensive conversations with the General Mgr and still have issues on every stay...mostly related to poor maintenance of the facility or lack of communication

First stay Scheduled power outage for 8.0 hours with no warning to tbe guest.
Second visit - Posted laundry service but no service available and was not notified until they had held my laundry for two days.
Third visit - Warmer weather. HVAC turns off when there is not motion in front of the thermostat. No ac in any room after you go to bed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Micheal T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sumner
Hampton Inn & Suites Puyallup
Best Western Plus Mountain View Auburn Inn
Guest House Inn Enumclaw
Guest House Inn Enumclaw
#2 of 2 in Enumclaw

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sumner? Share your experiences!