“One bad thing after another!”
Review of Sumner Motor Inn

Sumner Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sumner
Portland, Oregon
“One bad thing after another!”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I can't believe how crappy our stay was at this place. First of all, it is run by total idiots. We called the night before to see what time we could check in, and were told 11AM. when we arrived at 11:30 AM, we were told that the check in time is at 2pm. I asked if the room was ready early and the manager looked out the window and said..."yep, looks like it". We went to the room and the maid was still parked in front of our dirty room. So, we left, went and got some food for the following mornings breakfast at a friends house and came back to load the fridge. Later that evening we went to a wedding and came back to find the refrigerator off, all the food warm, and water all over the floor and much of our clothing soaked! Long story short, they made us stay up for almost three hours while we waited for them to come check out the fridge....the manager and her husband show up and unplug the fridge and plug it back in. We told them that we had to throw out all the breakfast food and he downright told us that we were lying and trying to get a free night out of it! Before they showed up, the toilet broke, we were able to fix that on our own thankfully. To top things off, I went to the front desk to replace the towel we had to use to mop up the refrigerator mess and was sent to FIND the maid.The maid gave me a VERY hard time, and was completely inappropriately rude, acting like it was REALLY putting her out to get me a replacement towel...hello, I know maid work sucks, I have done it.....don't take it out on me !! I have stayed at many hotels in my day, and being from the local area, am always happy to support local business. That said, I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND this hotel. There was also hair all over the floor and tub and when I tried to iron my clothes on the table, there was food stuck to the table that got all over our nice clothes for the wedding we were attending. This place is a real dump.

Room Tip: Read others' reviews BEFORE you book!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank smasch
sumnerinn, General Manager at Sumner Motor Inn, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
We would like to set the record straight. Every single person who asks what time check in is, is told the same thing. Any time after noon. I am the manager, and I didn't work the day you checked in. I find it hard to believe that I was in 2 places at 1 time. The morning you checked in, there was a gentleman working. That is why it took 3 hours for anyone to come check your fridge. It was my day off and I was not in town. The moment we returned, we came to check your fridge. You were told that we would refund you for your spoiled food, if a receipt could be provided. The last time I checked, you have to have a receipt to return pretty much anything now a day. I was willing to work with you and your husband. Up until your husband started swearing at me, we would have worked something out for you. Your husband said that he threw the spoiled food away, so we checked the garbage to get an idea of an appropriate amount to reimburse you, and there was not one drop of food in any of our garbage cans. First your husband said he threw it away in the garbage, and then he said he drove it to a different dumpster away from the motel. As for the towel that you took to the maid, our maids leave every day by 12p.m. There was no maid, and there was no replacement towel. All of your towels were still in your room the next morning when the housekeepers went in to clean it. When there are people that are dishonest and leave fabricated stories on the internet, we need to address it, and make it known to all of our future guests, that we strive toward making sure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay, and when there is an issue of any kind, we are willing to work out a reasonable solution. I just hope that any future guests of ours, will read this and see the truth.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Salinas, California
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed at the Sumner Motor Inn for four nights in June of 2011. At first things started out fine. We had arrived a day earlier than planned and got a room that normally costs $55/day for $50/day. The motel has certainly seen better days (the carpet is a bit shabby and there were some other "rough edges" about the room that a refurbishing would help with). Things started to go bad on the third day when after cleaning the room, room service did not leave any towels. No big deal, my wife went down to the front desk and after waiting a few minutes, got some towels. (Apparently the Sumner Inn has a special towel safe the access to which is jealously guarded.) On our last full day at the inn, room service stopped coming altogether to clean the room. Someone, however, did come to take the used towels but did not leave any clean ones. After a few phone calls to the front desk about how only the owner of the inn could provide us with new towels, we were eventually told that we weren't going to get any new ones until the old ones reappeared. Without saying so explicitly, they were accusing us of being towel thieves, and the inn was going to punish us the only way they could.

So, if you're in the Sumner area and are looking for a clean place to stay that will offer you a towel and not impugn your honesty, then drive a few extra miles and avoid the Sumner Motor Inn.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RobM33002
washington
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Once again, we stayed at The Sumner Motor Inn, and found it very pleasant. The staff were all friendly, and our room stayed nice and cool, with the air conditioner. We stayed for 3 days and each day we found our beds freshly made, our room cleaned, and clean towels waiting for us. Thank You again for making our stay enjoyable. We will absolutely be back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank cnc82405
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We came down on Memorial Day Weekend to spend time with parents, and ended up staying here. It was a nice and quiet place. Rooms were clean and rates affordable. Next time I come back, definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank salman2009
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I was in the area for three days with one of my business partners. We picked this place because of its convenient location for our business and affordable price. It turned out to be a great decision. We totally enjoyed our stay. The rooms are very clean and the staff is courteous and helpful. We enjoyed the quiet comfort for three days.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Mattu57
washington
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We stayed here for a few days for the holiday,and enjoyed ourselves again. Everyone was friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable.Thank You for keeping up the hard work. Hope to see you guys again soon!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank cnc82405
Bonney Lake WA
Reviewed 31 July 2009

We live locally to the motel (within 10 miles), and were looking for a place to stay during the worst heatwave we've had in the area for 100+ years. Finding a place that was not only close but cheap and available was great.

I did read the reviews before I made arrangements to stay, but the biggest motivation was that they had working a/c and mine wasn't working.

We stayed for a total of 3 days and I could not recommend this place more highly to anyone wanting a "home base" without any frills. The room was scrupulously clean, the fridge and microwave were a great addition, and the staff were competent, hard-working and helpful, despite having a completely full motel due to the heat.

I would definitely stay at this motel again, and would recommend it highly to anyone wanting to stay in a 'bare bones' place for an extremely reasonable cost.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachiegoth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sumner
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sumner
Guest House Inn Enumclaw
Guest House Inn Enumclaw
#2 of 2 in Enumclaw
Best Western Premier Plaza Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Sumner Motor Inn? Share your experiences!