“Gem in Tacoma!”
Review of Hotel Murano

Hotel Murano
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Hotel Murano is a gem in a city full of surprising treasures. Two of my college friends and I went to celebrate our 60th birthdays to see an Eagles Concert at the Tacoma Dome last weekend. On recommendation of a local resident, we chose The Murano Hotel. From the moment we arrived and Dale took our car at Valet Parking, we had a sense it was the right place. Dale was funny and took good care of us and our luggage as we had early treatments at their lovely Spa. The hotel itself is like a museum. Beautiful light, art, glass colors everywhere. We had a lovely room-see picture. We ate in their restaurant BITE-the food was very good. We had drinks at BITE bar and their lobby bar-both servers were quick, funny and made us feel at home. We ordered room service twice and were very surprised at the quality and presentation of the food. I think they consider the “art of the presentation” in every aspect of their service. On top of a lovely experience, the answer was always “yes”. Regardless of who we asked, they found the proper person to take care of our needs. Check out was even terrific-we split the bill with 3 credit cards and the answer was “of course, no problem”. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Glass Museum, wonderful restaurants and the free light rail system. This was a great experience and I will be back to explore more of Tacoma while residing at the Murano. Oh P.S. coolest elevator you will ever see.

Room Tip: We had a 2 bathroom suite facing north. Comes with 2 refrigerators, microwave and dining table.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Wow, what a wonderful way to start my day!

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful review and I truly appreciate you specifically mentioning Dale, who is indeed one of our "Gems".

I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to interact with several people, who like yourself, joined us while attending the "simply fabulous..." Eagles Concert and I am happy that we were a part of the experience for you and your friends.

I also appreciate seeing a positive comment about our elevators as we have been challenged by a modernization project that is thankfully, now complete.

I hope you'll be able to join us again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Went to see the Eagles, stayed at the Hotel Murano. What a treat, we had a great corner room. It was a nice size and loved the furnishing. The bed was comfy and there was a fun couch. We could walk to many restaurants and other activities. Each floor celebrates a different artist, it is cool to see the different works. There is a gym, I did not see anything about it when making reservations, was disappointed that I didn't know. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Great start to our trip!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz M
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Liz,

That sure was a great concert, wasn't it!

Thanks for the feedback, and I hope you can come back in a few weeks for Katy Perry, Blake Shelton, or perhaps even Nine Inch Nails?

We appreciate your kind remarks on our hotel and staff and I will enjoy sharing them with my team.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Hotel Murano was a wonderful place to stay even for just one night. I booked the staycation package which included a premium king bed room with breakfast. There was a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for me (i confess I added it..but it was ready and waiting for me when i entered the room!). The room was comfortably appointed and the room temperature was just perfect. The room looked out over old city and the harbor. The windows also opened so i was able to get the fresh air and the fog horns in the early morning. The decor was wonderful and i spent some time checking out the glass artists of each floor.
In all the stay was just what i needed to refresh myself while finishing up some business in town.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your thoughtful review.

The relaxing getaway that you have described certainly is what we are striving to provide and I am happy that you had an enjoyable time.

I do hope you'll be able to stay with us again.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Boutique hotel style, with a lavish décor through out the reception, hallways, and restaurant. Love the comfort in the rooms, spacious areas, great bedding, beautiful views and right in the heart of Tacoma. We enjoyed our stays at Murano, every time we go to concerts at the Tacoma Dome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Jo,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback.

We appreciate your high marks, and as you may already be aware, there are some GREAT concerts coming up at the Tacoma Dome.

Perhaps we'll have the opportunity to impress you again real soon?

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Why oh why do hotels..especially when they are 4 stars or 5?, never have enough staff to care for a full hotel? One elevator of 3 was down being replaced and 1 was out of order most of the time. We were on the 22nd floor and had up to 15 minute waits much of the time. The coffee bar had one wait staff and seats for at least 12. "This is the coffee bar and not really for breakfast" was what one of the servers told me. Of course the rest of the seats were taken. The one server behind the bar did her level best. The double scotch neat that my husband ordered at the bar was definitely not enough and all at our table agreed. The server said it absolutely was a double, but did come back later with another serving.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for your inconveniences related to our elevators and also for the less than stellar service that you experienced within our restaurant.

Typically, that team receives high marks and I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. We always prepare our staffing schedules based upon anticipated business levels and occasionally, things happen that prevent us from being at our best.

We have indeed been challenged by an elevator being out of service for a modernization project that was expected to have been completed in July. We are working hard along with our related vendors in getting the 3rd elevator back on line as soon as possible.

I do hope that you'll give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

From the very start, the valet service was wonderful.....walking into the lobby was like walking into an art gallery! We called ahead and asked for an early check in.....and they were able to make it happen! We were there for my great granddaughter's pageant.....it was very busy but all the staff was very helpful and cheerful. We ate in the restaurant and everything we had was delicious and plenty of it. It is in a good location with shops and restaurants within walking distance. Our room was clean and comfortable.....the view amazing! (we were on the 14th floor) If I had to say anything on the negative side....it would be there were 3 elevators, but seemed only one or two were working and they were very slow. I would recommend staying there and hope to stay again another time.....!

Room Tip: Room with a view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Joan,

Thank you for the great review!

Aside from our elevator challenges, it seems as if you had an enjoyable visit and I appreciate you recommending us.

I do hope you'll have another opportunity to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This unique property is visually stunning, from the exterior with it's giant soaring slab of blue/green glass, to it's multi-level lobby with even more handblown glass to every floor featuring a different international glass artist. The views of Mt. Ranier to the southeast are stunning too, especially from the high floors. The rooms are cool and trendy with all of the right amenities for a business traveler or tourist, the beds are very comfortable, and the staff all super friendly.

One very small nit...the AC thermostat unit in my room wasn't functioning properly and when I finally called down to the desk to ask for engineering to come up, it was too late in the evening (the engineers had gone home). Unfortunately, the front desk staff didn't inform me of this until my second call 45 minutes later. The very nice young man from security couldn't fix it, but offered to move me to another room if I wanted.

The next morning, I let the manager know what had happened, because I genuinely felt she would want to know (not because I wanted anything - I really didn't!). She was genuinely apologetic and offered me a later checkout. Quite unexpectedly, I received an email later in the day saying that she had "comped" my room because I didn't have a perfect experience at Hotel Murano! Wow! Now, that's what I call an outstanding commitment to guest service. Thank you Hotel Murano, well done.

For convenience to downtown Tacoma, total visual coolness and outstanding guest service ,you simply cannot do better than the Hotel Murano!

Room Tip: Hi floor facing Mt. Ranier
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Wow... thank you for your kind remarks and thorough overview of your experience with us.

I certainly appreciate your feedback regarding how our staff and management handled your unfortunate experience with the AC unit and I am quite pleased that they made an impression on you.

It is so important to us to receive feedback as to how we are doing and I sincerely appreciate the time that you took to write in to Tripadvisor.

Your descriptions of our service, artwork, guest rooms, and views are wonderful... and I hope that you can join us again soon.

Best regards,