“Horrible experiance”

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
not the city
“Horrible experiance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Beds are comfortable, location is horrible! Do not believe staff or management care about their guests. Not sure what to say about staff due to their policies (that I’m not privy to) I either got lied to twice or management lied to me!
The story: Stayed on a Sat. for the state fair. We got back to the hotel at 0130 as we pulled into the very full parking lot we were dodging not to hit people that were crossing the st to get to the parking lot! People were everywhere yelling and screaming and numerous fights around us. I and my husband were afraid to get out of vehicle! When I called the hotel, I was told you can cancel your reservations, and the bar would be closing @ 0200 and that the bar has their own security guard and will take care of the problem, as one security guard ran passed our vehicle trying to mass a drunk person. Two security guards trying to control over 60 drunken people, I told them they needed to get the real police there! My concern of being scared wasn’t taken serious by this front desk person!
Next morning when we checked out we were told by another desk person they contract to the bar for parking! I told her how scared we were and she too, acted like it was no big deal and advised this has been happening the last 2 weekends, and she advised the head housekeeping has been finding interesting stuff in the parking lot on Sun. mornings.
I contacted the motel management later to advise them of what was going on in there motel parking lot on the weekends! She down played it acted like it was no big deal and she told me, “I’m sorry you got some miss leading info, we don't contract to the bar for parking"!!? She neither took this complaint serious.

Room Tip: The Ac/heater made a bad noise all night
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Tacoma, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay with us as your feedback is important when providing excellent service to our guests. I apologize greatly for the experience that you encountered with other guests during your stay. We make every effort to ensure our guests are safe and comfortable and address situations that arise when other guests infringe upon that. I do want to apologize for our staff not being more accommodating regarding this situation and I assure you this will be addressed accordingly with our front desk.
We do value you as a guest and we are always looking for ways to enhance our guest experience and do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Impressed at first and then went slowly down hill. When my husband and I check in we were greeted by a polite young man. We are Red Lion members so we got our usual water and good bag. It was our anniversary so we got a suite and spent the evening and the Washington State Fair (I know to super romantic but we were super busy). Our room was very clean however the layout was horrible. There is NO DOOR TO THE BATHROOM....So, when sitting on the toilet it was extremely awkward! Toilet had a small partition wall but no door to close for privacy. We went to sit in the hot tub at 9:40 because there is typical no one there for the last few moments of the day (closes at 10:00). After about 5 minutes a janitorial man came in and inform our time was almost up and walk around the pool area waiting for us to leave. This made me feel very uncomfortable so instead of waiting until 10:00 we just left (we had a hot tub in our room anyways, the pools is simply larger). The hotel was quiet through out the night and morning which was nice. The breakfast was horrible!!! Eggs tasted like powder, bacon was paper thin, toaster took 5/6 minutes to toast, Coffee was out (no one refilled the 30 minutes we where there), and it was very small and load! After that we went back to our room packed and checked out. Waited for a while until we got help at the desk. This time the lady barely talked to us handed us a receipt and we walked out.
Even though I am a member at Red Lion I will pay the extra money next I am in Tacoma and look into a different place to stay!

Room Tip: Don't plan on there breakfast or a late night dip in the pool....just get a standard room suites...
Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This part of town can be a little scary, but we had no problems. I felt safe leaving my car overnight in the hotel parking lot. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a problem with our room and they moved us. I have stayed here before and will again. We enjoyed the pool, hot tub, and breakfast. The location is right next to a busy interstate but we did not hear traffic. The only thing bad I can say is becareful if you sit on the end of the bed it can flip. Great pillows!

Room Tip: If your traveling with or have limited mobility request a room in between 1-20.
1 Thank KayDee32
REDLIONHOTELTACOMA, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Tacoma, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
At Red Lion Hotel, we do our best to accommodate our guest and provide them with the best experience. We appreciate your reviews and recommendations. Hope to see you in future and make it another pleasant experience. Thank you

Management
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is ok. It needs a little updating - like all Red Lions, but overall very nice and clean. The neighborhood is a little seedy being right off of I-5, but I felt safe in the hotel and didn't hear traffic noise. The beds were comfortable.

I tried to reserve a room on the website, but it hung when I clicked submit and I ended up waiting until I got there to get the room and by then there weren't any king beds left. They have a special right now to get 15% off the room rate if you join they're loyalty program so that was nice.

We didn't get up in time to try the free breakfast.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaAndRC
BONNEY LAKE, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We spent one night here the other night and we enjoyed our stay overall, our room was pretty clean and the beds were big and comfy also there was a nice bigger compact fridge in the room which some hotels I've been to had smaller ones. The pool was pretty big and refreshing to swim in although when we first walked into the pool area earlier in the day it was very warm and stuffy, but when we came back to swim later it cooled down quite a bit. The breakfast only runs until 9:00 am which was earlier then we prefered but I got up and went down at 8. The breakfast consist of Hot waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs, bagels, english muffins, cereal, oatmeal, fresh apples, coffee and juice. This hotel does have an older look to it but our stay was pretty great.

Room Tip: If you can try and get a room away from the stairwells and elevators that way it's a little less...
2 Thank Scott M

Management
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The room was fine, could use a bit of updating, as is the case with most Red Lion properties. The lady doing night audit was helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was complimentary, which was good, as it being a Sunday morning and extremely busy the choices where limited. A breakfast attendant would have helped the process. As a whole the hotel was fine.

The neighborhood on the other hand...A little rough for my liking. The night club across the street and the casino down the road along with the "ladies of the night" walking around gave the place a seedy vibe. This may be just a Saturday night thing, but even as a bigger male with friends, it was a bit intimidating to be out in the dark.

I'd probably skip this place going forward in my travels to Seattle, the Olympia Red Lion and Red Lion on 5th Ave in Seattle are much better options.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I wasn't expecting much and therefore I felt the room was fine. The check-in people were nice and efficient. The room was fairly clean (except for a very long hair in the bathtub). The beds were comfortable and we slept well. The breakfast was packed and the gals were trying to keep up but with only one microwave in the back they had some unhappy people who were waiting for bacon and scrambled eggs.

It's not luxurious, but it was fine.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family