Clarion Inn Near JBLM
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2014

After booking a non-refundable rate on Hotwire (and not knowing the name of the hotel beforehand), and then reading some of the negative online reviews, I must admit I immediately thought of the Hotels.com "Captain Obvious" scare commercial.

I was particularly concerned about the possible safety/security issue as well as the wife who has serious allergies to just about everything, including smoke. I was also worried about the paper thin walls and having to endure noise all night. My booking was for two nights for Friday and Saturday.

Surprise #1. Allergy issue. Upon check in, I stressed that my wife had severe allergies and we would appreciate a room with "no issues". The check in clerk promptly looked on the computer and gave us a room on the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel facing the freeway. We got to our room and were pleased to find that it had appeared to have a few updates. In particular, there was a newer berber carpet and the washroom had a newer vanity and surround bath enclosure. Room was also big and clean. Hmm...not so bad we thought. The room did have a little bit of an old musty smell to it but it was certainly tolerable.

Surprise #2. Noise issue. The sign on the front door of the hotel advised that there were no vacancies. Both rooms on either side of us must have been occupied. Didn't hear a peep both nights from either side. Maybe they were cognizant of the potential noise issue? We also noticed that the TV was programmed so that you could only adjust it to a certain volume. Maybe the hotel is paying attention to the online reviews? We also didn't hear any disturbance from the outside parking lot either. Quiet. We slept well. It is true what some reviewers say that the doors to the rooms do shut with a loud thunk. But I only heard this when I was awake during day time hours. We also had a room facing the freeway. The windows must be double paned because the freeway noise did not penetrate the room with the windows closed. And if you need A/C, we found the A/C unit was not at all noisy like even some higher end hotels I've stayed at. You would probably do better if you asked for a room on the 2nd floor because I felt you had to tread softy while walking so as to not cause those below you any grief.

Surprise #3. Safety and Security issue. It is true what some reviewers say about the side doors to the hotel not being locked. However, this is only during the day. We came back late Friday night and found the side door locked and the only way we could get in was through the front entrance to the hotel. Is the hotel really in an "unsafe" area? Well...you've got the I-5 freeway directly to the east. Just a few small businesses in the general area. Not like it was in a downtown ghetto or something. I probably would avoid parking at the back of the hotel though as I would any place. (Curiously, as you drive towards the back, the first thing that greets you is a signing disclaiming that the hotel is not responsible for any "injury" or "theft" from your vehicle". We also did not notice any unsavory characters in the parking lot. Maybe this was their weekend off or they hadn't finished their most recent stint in jail? LOL.

It's true. Breakfast isn't anything much. We went out to eat.

But overall, the bed was comfy, the room was clean, and the location was convenient. Not a bad option for a budget hotel. But in future, personally, I think I would pay a few extra bucks for a higher star level. That's just me and "Captain Obvious".

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel. Room 223 was just fine.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a fairly sizable Days Inn, and is well maintained. However, for the large number of rooms, they have a very inadequate breakfast area, with one large round table and a couple of couches. The food station is so congested that not more than two or three people can obtain breakfast at a time, which is insufficient for the hundreds of guests that the facility can hold. Service is quick and responsive, though, and rooms are clean. Pool was closed both days we were there (outdoor pool).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple