“Amy Simmons is great”

Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I just wanted to write a quick review about Amy. She was very helpful and nice. She obviously knows her job very well. The staff has always been good, and Amy is no different. Look forward to another stay.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have stayed at this location many times. Because of my work schedule I have had to check in earlier than the regular time. They offered me early check in every time and made sure my room was ready. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff has always been friendly and professional. This has become a home away from home. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank LMayJr
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Again, thank you for the comments. We look forward to providing you with another comfortable stay in the future!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Overall, I thought the experience at this hotel was good, but not great. However, one of their staff (Amy Simmons) single-handedly overcame many issues, and wowed me with her charm, grace, and genuine customer care skills, which makes me rate this hotel four stars.

Some things, though, even Amy could not overcome....an inoperative elevator for four days, or how about six out of eight clothes dryers being out of order for all 17 days of my stay?! Sheeeez. And I was told that "corporate" knew of the problem and was trying to find a repairman. Give me Google or the Yellow Pages, and I could have had someone on their way in 15 minutes...but apparently that's not the Extended Stay way. I did have a persistent early morning hot water issue (or should I say cold water issue?) which never really got solved, but the GM tried to make good in the best way she knew how and I was happy with the resolution. Bottom line: somebody does not have their eyes on the ball where maintenance is concerned and a slow-moving bureaucracy seems to be in charge of fixing things.

The hotel is clean and has been recently renovated so I applaud the overall feel of the place. It's warm and inviting. One thing I think was a terrible mistake on the part of those in charge of the renovation...the bedspread is for looks only. It serves no warming, or comfort function for the person sleeping under it. The word "useless" comes to mind. An egregious oversight that few of the top chains miss so badly on.

As to value, I think you do get a lot of bang for the buck here, and I did enjoy my stay overall. But again, were it not for Amy Simmons at the front desk, eagerly solving issues when they cropped up to the best of her ability, this would have been a different experience for me. Hey, Extended Stay America...promote her to a REAL Assistant Manager position (and not something ceremonial; or fancy in title but light in authority) or prepare to lose her. You don't keep talent that good for long, if you don't double down on their future and promote them quickly up the ranks. There are other good hotel chains that would donate a kidney to science to have a sharp cookie like her.

Lastly, the location is super being so near to the Mall and lots of good eateries being so close by.

Would I stay at the Tacoma-South location again? Yes. But I would hope that my second stay would be better than my first.

Room Tip: If you're a real early riser, don't get a room on the fourth floor....it take the hot water...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sexy-PatHurley
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

The negative reviews almost made us book elsewhere but the ideal location by the mall and astride the highway and kitchenette made it too hard not to go here. Newly renovated rooms were very nice. Clean, fresh and sufficiently equipped. It's not fancy, but it's clean friendly and reasonably priced. While we did have issues from renovations in other floors, Management was very involved and accommodation in correcting everything to our satisfaction. We'll be back here next trip.

Stayed: January 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. I am so glad that you liked our new and improved look, from our guest rooms to common areas, we are very proud of the enhancements that have been made. As well, it is great to know that you found your room to be clean and truly enjoyed the service our staff provided.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We booked into this hotel for an extended stay as we had a job assignment in the area. Since this hotel had a kitchenette, we chose it ... and there wasn't much else available. We should have opted to drive whatever distance was necessary. From the outside, this place looks pretty nice. From the inside it is old and in need of repair. However, that was not our main concern. Once we were settled in, we noticed activities and people in the hallways that made us uncomfortable. There is no camera surveillance in the hallways. After being there a couple weeks were awakened in the early hours of the morning by someone pounding on our door. Suddenly our room begin to fill with a yellow cloud of powdery dust. Someone emptied an entire fire extinguisher of fire retardant powder into our room through a small hole at the bottom of our door. We frantically called the front desk and no one came to our aid. All alarms were set off in the building, and the fire department finally arrived. The entire contents of our room was covered in this corrosive fire retardant ... causing much damage to our belongings. No one was ever charged with this action. The hotel manager was nice enough to dry clean our clothes, but many things had to be replaced and the hotel and their insurance company did nothing to compensate for our losses. We had to repurchase many expensive items personally. If this wasn't enough, a few days later, the police came in with guns and had an altercation that ended with someone being arrested at gunpoint right outside our window. That about sums up our stay and the kind of area this is. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Don't get a room here
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BusinessTraveler321
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for choosing Tacoma Extended Stay. Congratulations on your job assignment here in Tacoma, Washington.

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The sequence of events you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am opening a through investigation. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at tac@extendedstay.com.

In response to your experience, I am tightening the security and retraining staff for security of our guests and hotel. I would like to offer a Be Our Guest Certificate for your next stay with us or our sister property. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to check out our newly renovated property and to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area. Please respond back to me with an address.

Thank you for choosing Tacoma Extended Stay, and I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed here for over a month out of necessity, travelling on very tight budget and this hotel provided the cheapest rate. I was a little taken aback when I arrived in the middle of the night to find the hotel was locked for safety measures and I had to be buzzed in. Hotel doors under constant surveillance, so you do get a sense of what kind of area this is.
I thought the accommodation was passable for the price although hotel felt old, dingy and in need of repair. My room was decent size. I cook most of my meals so I also stayed here because of the large fridge and stove top, although would have loved to have an oven as well. To be honest I am a clean freak so more easily irritated by grubby carpets, greasy oven burners, cracked sink and tub etc. Hotel actually did start under-going renovations before I left so hopefully the rooms will get a much needed face lift.
I thought the blanket on the bed was horrible and provided no warmth or comfort at all.
You can get room cleaned once a week if you choose but unlimited towels, sheets etc. I opted out as am very sensitive to the chemical cleaners used. Thankfully you can open the windows to air out the room if you want.
The location proved excellent for me during my stay. I could walk to the mall if I wanted to or drive anywhere I needed to within 10 minutes (highway, downtown, waterfront, Grand Cinema, Wallmart, Safeway, Marlene's Natural Health market, etc).
TIP- REMOVE ALL YOUR VALUABLES OUT OF YOUR CAR BEFORE LOCKING IT. I had mine broken into (not at hotel) and so did others I met (in hotel parking lot).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jen S
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I went over some of the reviews of the hotels in the area before my stay and I originally stayed at another hotel, after a night of terror I decided to try out Extended Stay. I had seen some mixed reviews online so I came in with my dukes up. I called in advance and received amazing customer service over the phone. By the time I pulled up it looked very nice. I walked into the lobby and was greeted with a smile. I asked about any other possible discounts and the gentleman Roel was able to find me a discount. I was informed of the renovations occurring and her informed me of the times they would be working so that I could schedule my time in the room around the noise. When I came into the room I was delighted that there was a full fridge, microwave, real plates and mugs, in addition to silverware. There were even ice cube trays! I really enjoyed their attention to detail in making our extended stay more like home. There were plenty of towels for the two of us. The only negative I would say was the bathroom counters weren't updated but, as they complete the renovations it sounds like that will be fixed. The most important part, it was CLEAN! I loved our stay and will make this one of our stops next time were in town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple