“Welcoming and Wonderful”
Review of Plum Duff House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tacoma
Plum Duff House
Ranked #6 of 11 Tacoma B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed at Plum Duff while in Tacoma visiting our new grandson a few blocks away. The owners, Peter & Robin where delightful. Breakfast was very yummy, and my 19 year old daughter was so thrilled that they remembered her preferences from the first day, and accommodated her each morning without having been asked.
We stayed in the attic room, which was spacious and very comfortable for my husband, myself & daughter. This is a charming old home in a beautiful historic neighborhood. We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2011

We happended upon the Plum Duff House when we were searching for a place to stay in the Seattle area during an extra unplanned day on our anniversary road trip to the Pacific Northwest. It turned out to be an unexpected delightful find and we were extremely pleased with the house and with Peter and Robin, our wonderful hosts. Plum Duff turned out to be a great base for our day in the Seattle area before continuing our journey north to Vancouver BC. With Plum Duff as a base we enjoyed visits north to the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in Ballard, lunch at Pike's Market in Seatlle and a fantastic afternoon at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma watching artists turning molten glass into works of art! If we hadn't stayed at Plum Duff, we probably wouldn't have visited the Museum of Glass and we would have missed out on one of the highlights of our trip. And, BTW, the room was wonderful and the breakfasts were delicious!

Room Tip: Don't miss the Museum of Glass!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I stayed at the Plum Duff Inn for the second time in 1 year, and I was dissapointed enough to not come back.

When I booked my reservation, I mentioned to the owner, Peter, that I was a repeat customer and that I was looking for the discounted rate for UPS/PLU visitors like I had the previous year. However, upon my arrival I was charged a steep fee, 25% more than what I had payed last September!

Peter just said: "You have been here before, so you know where to find things around". Did he even call me by name? No...he was clueless.

In addition, the owners were on their way out of town due to a loss in their family. I completely understand their emotional needs, but I wish they had notified me that I'd be in the house alone as soon as they decided to leave, so I had the choice to stay or look for other accommodations.

Opposite from the many other b&b's I've stayed in, there were none of the things that make me choose a b&b over a hotel: personal service, a welcoming atmosphere, beverages and snacks available, the ability to lunge in the lobby and read with a cup of tea in one hand, etc.

What I had, and plenty of, was a nasty headache courtesy of the fake cinnamon candles that inundated the house, in conjunction to the smell of some cleaning product that could make a whale dizzy.

When it got cold at night, I had to go on an expedition for a blanket into another room, because although it was around 50, the heat was never turned on.

The one good thing about my stay was meeting the owner's daughter in law. She served a delicious breakfast and was very kind and welcoming. She checked with me to see if I needed anything and helped me check out.

Still, I figured that next time, instead of supporting a local business, I'll have to stay in one of the nicer hotels in town, where I am guaranteed a negotiated fee, and knowing that if I need something I actually can ask for it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Dulce M
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Stayed at the Plum Duff House in July on a first time trip to Washington State. The atmosphere is homey, comfortable, and relaxing. The hosts were very available and friendly and served a wonderful breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyed my visit and loved staying at the Plum Duff House!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Peter and Robin were our hosts and owners of Plum Duff House. They were so helpful in giving directions and suggestions on where to go and how to get there. They even offered to drive us down to the shore for the 4th of July Air show and Fireworks. I needed to print my boarding passes and they allowed me to use their personal computer to do so. They are the most gracious hosts I have encountered at a BB yet. The food and service was on time and delicious. I would stay here again, Thanks Peter and Robin!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2009

This is an old large wooden house, which has been "remodeled" into a B&B. The workmanship is handyman quality. Nothing deluxe here, but the price is cheap. Our shower was in a small free standing tub with shower curtain. Friendly hosts, but no frills and nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I traveled a lot around the world and like to stay in guesthouse. Then I can get more different real experience of local life.
This is the best guesthouse I ever stayed with. As a harbor to Mt. Rainer, Olympic NP and Portland, it is located perfectly. Inside the house it is classic style, very comfortable and gets everything you want!
Host couples are very considerate and friendly. The house itself is a good place of interest, a lot of old pictures and stuff like old style camera. You can see the host spent a lot of time to decorate the house, and they actually have very good taste.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends