“Bad, stinky, dirty, run down”

GuestHouse Inn Fife
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Not worth staying here to save a few dollars. Room stunk, literally had dead ticks & bugs on the floor, no pens, phone book, coffee pot (as they said they had in all rooms), cups were dirty that were upside down on shelf, and ice bucket filthy inside. Carpeting was stained in room & hallway, sheets had a few small stains on them which makes you VERY uncomfortable wondering why, and the breakfast in the morning had people touching food others were going to eat. Other people staying here in the hotel made you question if the state put drug addicts, possible college kids, and homeless in here. They weren't the type of people anyone is comfortable being around. Not stereotyping, but they were all low class, need a shower, drug fix, or just off the street look about them. Hotel was also very very cold in the hallways from outside. Breakfast area is near front door which was kept open for whatever reason, but smokers outside had smoke going into breakfast area along with the cold. NOT WORTH STAYING HERE!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here. Don't.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Pretty dirty motel. Stayed here one night with friends and would not recommend it. Dirty rooms with dirty carpets. Not very nice

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2011

OK.... well having to return after many years to help bury my Father, I remembered that I once stayed in Fife (many years ago), which is close to Tacoma. My partner accompanied me on this trip. When we arrived to Days INN in Fife, Washington we were greeted by the staff (friendly). After a mess up with arrangments, with the room, Expedia problem, all was straightened out. We were showed to our room, and first of all the card key would not work. We then reurned with staff person who said, having problems with keys not working, might need to swipe it again. Well it then worked. We went into the room, and looked around.
First I must say the room was very nice, and the Bathroom was as wide as the room (loved it).The toilet has heated water, LOL, but there was no hot water in the sink, but if you allowed the water in teh shower to run for a while, you could get warm water to wash with.
Next we noticed the mattress, as we sat down on it, it was so soft, I think it was a pillow top.
We started turning on the lights in the room, as it was getting dark, and noticed the standing floor lap had one of those energy bulbs, that was cool but the bulb was laying on it side, not attached to the holder with the wire showing. I callled the office to let them know and the gal told me that nothing could be done with it, no one available to check it out. Just dont use it. Not good answer
Well there was one nice feature with the ..the continental breakfast was yummy.
Also accross the street, walking distance, was the Emerald Green Casino and Hotel. If you like the slots there are many of them . all penny machines, so you can bet as much as you want. Also tables with Poker, 21, and Craps. The casino has cards that you are issued when you sign up first time. If you gamble for atleast two hours you are given a voucher for one of the best buffets i have eaten at. Also there is another casino, owned by the same company ,which has shuttle service so you do not have to drive to it. We ate all 5 days at the buffets when we were there, and it was very filling.
Back to the Days Inn... I think it is an ok place, clean and the staff seems to care somewhat, but instead of swiping our key card for the fulll five days we were there,the gal only swiped it for one day. We had to return numerous times for the key not working in our door lock. This was frustrating to say the least.
Well those are a few things that might help another who is planning on staying at the Days Inn in Fife. Hope it helps someone.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Like prostitutes and drugs in the hallways? Welcome home!

This place is terrible. I had made reservations for two nights and left after the first night. They refused to reimburse me. The room smelled like mold and the crowd this place attracts (monthly renters) is not a good element.

Lots of illegal activity and shady characters. Beware. Spend $20 a night and sleep with BOTH eyes closed.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mlotto7
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I've stayed here about a dozen time, using it as the first or last night on family driving vacations on the way to/from Seatac airport. Had not stayed for two years, and was wondering if it had gone seriously downhill from the tone of these reviews. Fortunately, though hardly a luxury resort, the place is still a decent value for an inexpensive chain motel, fairly clean, not too noisy, about what I'd expect a few hundred yards from an Interstate exit.

As always, the rooms showed wear but were acceptably clean and functional (plumbing, AC, lights). As mentioned elsewhere, the WiFi really only works in the lobby and attached breakfast room. The breakfasts have gone downhill a bit and are pretty bare bones. I don't get the comments about crime and prostitutes, and have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe there.

The front desk staff when I checked in was amazingly lazy and refused to put people in the types of rooms they requested after an initial assignment, claiming they were full. Early morning the empty space in the parking lot revealed that as a lie. She was just lazy. Other staff were excellent.

Don't count on the pool. It seems to be closed most of the time. Front desk person expressed surprise that it had "just been closed" but I see from other comments here that it was closed ealier in the summer. When open, it's not a real pretty sight, though I have used it.

The main issue with motels in this town is noise, since the main street parallels I-5 and is half a block from it. So if you go elsewhere, be wary of places on the east side of the street as it's real noisy over there.

Though I was annoyed at the desk clerk, I will probably stay here again. There's not a lot to choose from in Fife.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2009

There were ladies of the night visiting at all hours here! Very disruptive! The staff is horrible and not helpful at all. I felt like I was intruding on social hour with them. They advertise a pool but its not open!! The rates on the billboard are cheaper than the ones on the internet!!! I would bypass this hotel if I were you!!! It was the most horrible I've encountered and Days Inn should be ashamed having their name attached!!! Stacy, the manager, forced herself to be nice! Hey Stacy, we noticed!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
9  Thank goldengirl42
Reviewed 2 June 2009

The staff here is perfectly fine and accomodating. The rooms are standard for an old motel. The area is definitely slightly sketchy and very much a trucking area. We were given a room and when we entered it hadn't been cleaned, when we called the front desk they said there had been a mistake and assigned us another room. There was a jarring, frightening sound in the pipes whenever our neighbors used the water. This resulted in having to switch yet again. The new room was clean and quiet, however the clerk had not noted our move and I was surprised when taking a nap to have some new guests walked right into the room. As a result, my key was deactivated. The mess up was taken care of and all was well the rest of the stay. The wireless internet can only be accessed from the lobby and the signal is incredibly weak. their "business center" is a joke. It was a dark cubby hole with two internet jacks that didn't work. no fax machine or printer. The continental breakfast is pretty low quality. It's bread for toasting, cheerios, juice and some pastries. One morning I spied an orange, but that was the only member of the fruit family present, save for the processed juice. The one bright spot of breakfast was the electric waffle irons and the batter for making your own fresh waffles. The only problem was no directions were posted. It is not brain surgery, but was quite a challenge for a majority of guests. They wouldn't spray down the machine before using it and wouldn't flip it, which would result in a burned, tangled mess with teflon attached. Meaning we'd be sitting there while the other hapless guests attempted to manually remove all pieces of their waffles looking confused. Meanwhile, they completely ignored the huge can of canola spray sitting quietly between the machines. So, if you need a cheap motel in industrial Tacoma, this will suit your needs. If you are looking for a hotel experience you will want to hit up the Marriot.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank SanDiegoBelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tacoma
Extended Stay America - Tacoma - Fife
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tacoma Seattle
Days Inn Fife
Days Inn Fife
#5 of 10 in Fife
Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel
Crossland Economy Studios - Tacoma - Hosmer

Been to GuestHouse Inn Fife? Share your experiences!