Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma - Waterfront
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$107
Hotel Murano(Tacoma)
US$236
US$117
  • Restaurant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tacoma Seattle(Tacoma)(Great Value!)
US$125
  • Breakfast included
US$196
US$138
BestWestern.com
Shilo Inns Tacoma(Tacoma)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$112
TripAdvisor
All reviewscommencement baywalking pathwater viewwater fronttrain noisepuget soundquichepoint defiancewafflesshuttle servicewithin walking distancejacuzzi tubfirst floorlight sleeperclose to downtownhotel is locatednice breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 April 2008

I live in Gig Harbor, across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge from Tacoma but I have a very small place. When out-of-town guests came in, I thought I'd try the Silver Cloud. I'd been past the place many, many times and was always intrigued by the fabulous location...located not so much on Old Town's waterfront but more like OFF Old Town's waterfront! The hotel is built over Commencement Bay on pilings. Note that this interesting place is frequently enjoying a 100% occupancy rate; rooms opening here are surprisingly rare.

Our room had a most impressive view, northward toward Point Defiance. The room is large and comfortable with nice luxury touches. About the only minor (VERY minor) complaint is that the bathroom is quite small, although well-equipped.

Breakfast the next morning was of the continental style, but there was plenty to go around. The television in the breakfast area was tuned to Montel Williams. With 99 channels on the cable, is this the best they could do?

Parking is by permit only, and space is tight. If you drive a large truck or SUV, think twice!

I found the Silver Cloud Tacoma, like the other Silver Cloud hotels farther north, very pleasant and a nice change from the more mundane properties.

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank horizonbound
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We stayed here for two nights in a standard King room. The view from our room was great. We stayed on the 3rd floor which was nice since it gave us a good view of the sound. The wireless connection worked fine in our room and they also have a guest computer in the lobby. The breakfest was above average.
I could hear the train as it went by but it did not keep me up at night. The train does run all day and night. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and will most likely stay hear again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We stayed at the Silver Cloud September 2007. The location is wonderful, right on Commencement Bay with beautiful views. A great walking path right on the bay and nice restaurants within walking distance. We booked a King Suite. A bit small and very narrow for a suite. The bathroom could use a bit of an upgrade. Comes with a fireplace, but it is just lit flames, with a heater that clicks on every few minutes that blows out heat - a bit funky. Really comfortable bed and plenty of pillows. The desk staff is efficient, but certainly not overly friendly or as personable as I would expect. There is a nice breakfast served each morning. With that being said, we would not return for this reason. The property is three stories, we were on the second. I was told our room had one of the best views of the bay. What I was not told is that you are almost level with the wrap-around pier. There are people fishing there 24 hours a day. Even at 2 am! So there was NO privacy as people could see in your room at all hours of the day and night. I think there may be a few rooms that don't have that problem, so if you stay here make sure you ask for those rooms. Having stayed in Tacoma before, I rate the Silver Cloud as very mediocre, when there are so many other choices.
Lake Oswego, Oregon

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BabsOswego
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I was recently in Tacoma for business and stayed at Silver Cloud, and I must say I hated to leave. The location of the hotel itself could not be anymore perfect. The views of Commencement Bay from the boardwalks, lobby, and best of all rooms are second to none. I went to bed and woke up each morning with majestic views of the bay, that actually made me feel as if I were on a ship out at sea. The hotel is 20+ years old, but you would never guess it from inside or out. The building and grounds are very well maintained, and the rooms are nicely updated and look and smell very clean. The housekeeping staff was very polite, thorough and consistent. I requested extra towels on day one, and never had to ask again, as they were left each day after. The continental breakfast had a great variety of food and drinks to choose from, and the views added great ambiance to the meal. There is a computer, printer and fax/copy available to all guests in the lobby, as well as wireless and LAN connections in the room. The connections were lightning fast. The location of the hotel on Ruston Way puts you within walking distance to several waterfront eateries and parks. The Ram Brew Pub and Katiedowns were two wonderful places to eat and within walking distance. And just up the hill is a Starbucks for those who crave coffee treats. If I had to find a negative about the place, and believe me...it's pretty hard to do, it would have to be the proximity to the busy train tracks. But the trains never blew their horns, and after the first day I really never noticed them coming through. For great service, and water and mountain views alike, I can think of no better place in the Tacoma area than Silver Cloud. Take it from this VERY picky traveler....YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank RWallace78
Reviewed 5 August 2007

Very friendly staff greeted us and checked us in. We requested the top floor (third) and that was no problem. Gorgeous view of the sunset. The room was pretty standard fare; kinda small; nothing special. The beds were very comfortable; the place was quiet. Wireless internet service is free, fast, and trouble free. Free breakfast is included. Serve yourself. The breakfast is generous and includes waffles, yogurt, granola, toast, sweet rolls, juice, coffee, etc. etc. A great way to begin the day after a fine night's sleep. The location of this place is wonderful. A 10-15 minute walk down the waterfront will take you to three restaurants; we ate lunch at one and dinner at another. Both were excellent. All around A+

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business