“All Around Sucky”

Cuisines: Greek
Tacoma, WA
“All Around Sucky”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Zara sucks. Our server was trashy and ghetto and the food lacked all of the delicious flavors of the Meiterranean. I literally took 1/2 of a bite of my entree. That's it. When the server asked if everything was okay I said I did not like my meal. She left the plate on the table and charged us for the item. She asked if I wanted anything else and I said no thank you. When we left, the parking attendant tried to charge double the rate. I pointed out the mistake and she was very rude about the whole thing. I will never go back. Don't be fooled by the cool looking exterior.

• Visited May 2012

“Great Restaurant with a wonderful happy hour!”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I have been to Zara's on three occasions and all three times walked away stuffed and satisfied. I will admit I haven't looked at their full menu since I have hit the happy hour up. Their happy hour menu has everything from salads, finger food to gyro burger. I really love their baba ganoush. Staff is friendly though sometimes a bit slow. Great place to go if your vegetarian or in a mixed crowd since they offer some good meat and non meat choices. They also make everything there including all their deserts. Parking is validated for the garage so now worries trying to find free parking downtown. Definately a must go!

• Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Tick Tock....this place will close.”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Zara was one of the worst dining experiences in recent memory, if not of all time. I probably shouldn't even refer to it as a "dining experience" as we were so disgusted by the awful service that we left after an appetizer and a glass of wine….but not before being repeatedly ignored by the waitress (whom we ultimately decided was Kim Kardashian's bitter cousin) and insulted by the manager.

This was a rotten experience from start to finish. We went on a Sunday afternoon and the place was nearly empty when we arrived. We were only offered the full dinner menu (upselling), despite it being lunch hours, and ended up moving into the lounge, as Zara advertises all day happy hour on Sundays. The manager finally offered to take our drink order (note that the wines by the glass are very scant and no alternatives were offered when the manager informed me that they were out of the pinot grigio; when I opted for the chardonnay I actually received a little sneer from him (“I thought that’s what you’d order”), as though the expectation were that I order one of their overpriced bottles it I really wanted what I wanted.) We ended up having to specifically ask for the lunch menu, and then again for the lounge menu. As I have stated in another review (see Green Turtle), it is never a good sign when the waitress begins your service by telling you everything that is not available. Such was the case again on this day (though the waitress was so heavily accented and so unfriendly that we didn’t even ask for clarification….which left us guessing what we would be able to order). Long periods of sitting with no service, long wait for the (puzzlingly salty) hummus.

We ultimately decided to cut our losses and go somewhere else for lunch. And here is where it got even worse. We were trying to use a Living Social coupon. Though I use them rarely, I have never had a single negative experience with a restaurant with these specials….except for Zara. At first the waitress told us we couldn’t use it because it didn’t cover happy hour. When we pointed out that we didn’t order anything off of the happy hour menu, she looked even more sullen and left us to wait on 2 other tables before she returned to us with our ticket! The coupon clearly stated $40 value THAT COULD BE USED OVER MULTIPLE VISITS. For a $28 bill she credited us $25 and charged us the balance. When we questioned this, she went to get the manager, clearly angry, and he came over and actually got in my face, told me that I didn’t know how they worked, and that if we didn’t order enough food to cover the whole value we forfeited the balance. And then, icing on the cake, had the….gall….to suggest that we order an expensive entrée to go to “make it worth our while.”

Absolutely. Freaking. Unbelievable. Mind you, this entire process took an hour and a half. The staff at Zara would be well served to remember that word of mouth is everything, especially in a relatively small restaurant town like Tacoma. I pity anyone else who wastes their money or time at this place. I look forward to reading of its closure.

• Visited September 2012
5 Thank Sharlene B
Colorado
“worth a stop”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

There's not much going on in downtown Tacoma, which is why this restaurant is a nice find. The food is good, the interior is nicely done, and it's just across the street from many museums as well as the courtyard by marriott. Service was a bit slow, but that was because, at 3PM, there was only one person on duty in the restaurant. She seated, took orders, manned the bar as well as the restaurant, and served. She was multi-tasking but did so nicely. Also gave us a good recommendation for where to go for oysters (Anthony's at Port Defiance).

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank getwhatyoupayfor
Seattle, Washington
“NIce atmosphere, food o.k., worth a try”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Fans of Greek food in the North End of Tacoma were pretty much restricted to “It’s Greek to Me,” which was Greek fast food: good flavor marred by styrofoam. Then “It’s Greek to Me” became “It was Greek to Me,” and the answer to good Greek food was again that one word Tacomans hate to utter: Seattle.

(One exception: No one should miss the Greek Festival at St. Nicholas in Tacoma, which provides great food at reasonable prices, plus live music and dancers, but only once a year.)

Recently we heard about Zara, which opened in a nice corner space on Pacific Avenue after Sea Grill went to wherever mediocre seafood restaurants go when they die.

We made a reservation, thinking that Friday night might be crowded at Happy Hour. Parking can be a bit tricky. The Tacoma City “Drain Motorist Blood” Parking Fee project runs until 6:00, so we were hoping for a parking garage where we could redeem a parking ticket. We drove around the block four times but could not find it. Our friends reminded us when they showed up that the parking garage has a barely-marked entrance off of Commerce St. (one block up the hill from Pacific.) NOTE TO THE ELDERLY OR PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED: Although there is a huge sign on Pacific, the restaurant entrance is off of Commerce as well. If you park on Pacific, you face a steep walk up.

Zara is comfortably and beautifully set up. The circular bar area looks right down on Pacific and 14th. The tables are widely spaced, and the kitchen is open to the restaurant but located at the far end of the place, which was fine with me. Something about watching cooks sweat…

Our hostess greeted us immediately and seated us in a completely empty section. Our booth provided both padding and good support. Later the hostess returned and asked if we wanted a better seat for the belly dancers. We declined, but it was nice to have options.

There must have been a shift change, because we met a total of four servers in about ten minutes. After quite a delay, we ordered wine off the wine list (by the glass $6-$13). Then we ordered our salads, which they kindly split for us and served in separate bowls. One half a salad was more than enough for each of us, and the nice assortment of greens and vegetables was accompanied by a tiny bowl with Greek olives and a pepperoncini. Then we ordered our entrees. The server was helpful with suggestions for those who didn’t have much experience with Greek food.

My mixed kebap was good but not great. The lamb was done right but a bit chewy, even for lamb, the chicken done right. The yoghurt-based dipping sauce was fine but not memorable. It came with some grilled mixed vegetables, including what I think were grilled cucumbers rather than zucchini. There was a mountain of rice pilaf. (You can also substitute a spicier rice free of charge.)

Dessert was of mixed quality. Our companions mentioned that the baklava had been better during their first visit. The chocolate decadent cake was truly decadent, moist and flavorful without being flooded with sauce.

Our first take on Zara: Energetic, flashy, but not life-changing, sort of like the belly dancers. We plan to go back.

• Visited March 2012