“Overpriced”
Review of Museum of Glass

Museum of Glass
Ranked #4 of 82 things to do in Tacoma
More attraction details
Owner description: An international center for contemporary art with a sustained focus on glass.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I went to the museum of glass during a federal holiday where they were hosting an event for military families. (I am in a military family). I was surprised by how small the museum was. They do have some beautiful pieces of art there, but knowing how much I might have paid to go to the museum was shocking. It is definitely overpriced for the size it is. I am grateful I got to go there for free, but I would never pay to go (if I wanted to go again) knowing that it is not the size of what you would expect a museum to be for the price they are asking for admission.

1  Thank mary s

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great displays and fun to watch the glassblowing demonstration. I am pretty sure that they change the displays frequently so looking forward to going back.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The museum of glass is a medium sized museum. It houses very beautiful pieces. If you go for just the exhibits, you can get through the museum in about two hours.

However, what sets the Museum of Glass apart from other museums is that’s it’s also a working studio. The Hot Shot Team are resident glass artisans who make glass right before your eyes. If we hadn’t been on a full itinerary, we could have sat and watched the Hot Shot Team work their magic for hours.

Up to forty guest artists come per year to work with the Hot Shot Team. Many of the guest artists leave pieces as a gift to the museum. The gifts are all very different and all very beautiful.

One of my favorite exhibits at the Museum of Glass was a program in which elementary aged school children draw imaginary creatures. The Hot Shot Team then makes three D renderings of the creatures in glass. The pieces are exquisite and at the same time have the primitive quality of a piece of children’s art. They’re fun, whimsical and gorgeous at the same time.

I really appreciated that the Museum of Glass tries to keep the glass art fresh and innovative. The exhibit in which visitors can take salvaged neon letters, from torn down signs, and put them around their necks was creative genius. It was so much fun to take photos of our group.

My husband had a coffee and my stepdaughter and I had water at the cafe. The staff was nice. The food that came out of the kitchen looked and smelled quite yummy. We would have eaten there except that we wanted seafood.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Early arrivals to a business conference had some time to spare, so I took them to this venue. Their interest in the art of blowing glass was just as amazing to watch as it was to watch the actual glass blowing. I must say, it was a business expense well worth the price of admittance we paid for the 5 guests who participated in our program.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Museum. The term implies that you will see curio, nastalgia, something from bygone eras. Calling this thing a museum is like calling twinkies organic.

So all that is left to decide is whether it is interesting as the modest gallery of glass that it is.

It is small. And, given the fact that Chihuly marketing is everywhere, one would be inclined to believe that there would be more Chihuly pieces on display. One would be sorely incorrect. There were literally two rooms and a hot shop. You've surely read about the hot shop. It's kind of cool--the kind of cool you can find in many glass-blowing studios all over Seattle, and they do not charge for you to come and watch.

The two exhibit rooms were embarrassingly simple and small. One small Chihuly exhibit, and then other exhibits that were not in any contextual order, and were moderately interesting as pieces of art, as modes of expression.

I can't believe the people at the front desk are able, day after day, paying-guest after paying-guest, to keep a straight face while they take $12 a head. Now those people are the professionals.

Even the gift shop was lacking. There were absurdly expensive glass works, relatively expensive stuffed toys, some Chihuly marketing books and the like, and some greeting cards that had nothing to do with glass or the "museum."

I bought one of those.

You were smart enough to go to Trip Advisor to review this place, and mine is not the first to warn of wasted money and time.

1  Thank LarryQ

Been to Museum of Glass? Share your experiences!