“Don't miss this one!”

LeMay - America's Car Museum
Ranked #2 of 79 things to do in Tacoma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: LeMay - America's Car Museum (ACM), named one of USA Today's 10 Best Museums in Seattle and KING 5's 2014 & 2015 Best Museum in Western Washington, is an international destination where families and enthusiasts gather to celebrate America's love affair with the automobile and how it shaped our society. The stunning, four-level, 165,000-sq.-ft. Tacoma, Wash., facility features 12 rotating exhibits, five annual Signature Events and serves as an educational center, hosting students of all ages.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Dallas, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't miss this one!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

It would be hard to imagine a better museum dedicated to the motorized vehicle in all its glory over time. The presentation is perfect: gleaming examples from every period, arranged in an orderly and enjoyable manner, with informative displays to help appreciate what you're seeing before you. The truck collection alone is a hoot. Race cars, muscle cars, family sedans - they're all here. The design, architecture and views of the museum itself are stunning. Even the cafe is just right. Something for everyone here, right down to the experiential activities on the lower level. Plan to be dazzled and delighted.

Visited August 2013

Vancouver
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Large selection of cars”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We came to Tacoma for a show at the Tacoma Dome and stayed over night at the Best Western near by. My husband loves cars, so as something to do easily in the area, we came here for a couple hours. I wasn't too impressed, but I am not a car fan. My husband enjoyed it, though. I think the entry fee is a little much, but if you are a AAA member or have tickets for a show at the Dome, they give you a discount. Save yourself the parking fee ($5) by finding a place on the street. Because we stayed at the Best Western, we just walked over to the museum. The volunteers through out the museum, are friendly and knowledgeable. To help from repeating yourself during the visit, walk down the right side of each level, only looking at the right side of the middle section, and then walk back up the left side of each level, only looking at the left side of the middle section.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Julie D
Silverdale, Washington
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Why is there a Prius?”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Overall, not bad when you don't have a car show you can go to.
I'm still very confused though. Why is there a Prius on display? I can understand the Telsa Roadster, which is quite rare and exotic. But I can't swing a dead hippie without hitting a Prius on the roads.
And why is one of the cars in the lobby a horrendously disfigured Chevelle? Someone put a new LS2 Corvette engine into a classic Chevelle, which was done seamlessly and I can live with it. Then they mutilated the panel behind the rear seat to add new bulky speakers which screamed "tacky". That's the sort of "car" I'd expect to see at a show, not a museum. And I'd have just as much disdain for it there. Not the kind of car you park among history and among classics.
Be forewarned, there is also a cafe here. Did not eat there because I'd just eaten at Friesenburgers (GO THERE), but the smell of grease and fried stuffs permeates the top floor.

Visited April 2014
Sarah_ACM, Manager at LeMay - America's Car Museum, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hi Andy, thank you for taking the time to review the Museum. We hope you enjoyed your visit.

In answer to your questions about some of the cars on display, we feature all types of cars and not just vintage collector cars as part of our mission to celebrate America's love affair with the automobile. The Prius on display was graciously donated by Toyota as part of our Alternative Propulsion ramp, representing Toyota's contributions to vehicles that do not solely run on gas.

We are also thankful to the private donor who provided the Chevelle for display in our lobby, which will be up for auction at our 2014 Wheels & Heels Annual Gala to fundraise for the Museum and the Hagerty Education Program, which encourages young people to pursue careers in the field of automotive restoration.

Thank you for your review, and we hope to see you back at ACM the next time you're in town.
Tacoma, WA
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Four Brother Visit”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My parents passed away and family does get together as much these days, so, I thought it would be nice to have my four brothers do something they all enjoy--old cars! All, even though older, really enjoyed LeMay. They said there was a lot of walking and didn't see it all, but they enjoyed everything this saw. Buying four tickets was reasonable--senior discount.

Visited August 2013
Federal Way, Washington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A step back in automotive history”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I took my stepson to the Museum on his recent visit. He is not much of a car fan, but even he was blown away by the collection. The breadth and depth of automotive history that is shown in this museum's unmatched by anything I have been to before. Even if you are not a car guy, I encourage you to visit this outstanding Museum.

Visited March 2014