“Good potential; bad day”

Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I'll start by saying the drive to the hotel doesn't put you in a positive frame of mind. I was alone and feeling like it was a bad part of town. Wondering if I really wanted to get out of the car. A little signage would have gone a long way. That said, once you enter the hotel, the staff at the front desk are friendly and efficient. Good work. The first night was quiet and uneventful (a Thursday). There were little things (the remote for the TV didn't work--no big deal). But the next day, my room did not get serviced...at all. It was late when I got back to the hotel room, I had the flu, and it was not the time to ask for housekeeping to work on the room or to change rooms. The unfortunate coincidence is that there was a cheer leading competition in town and at some of the groups were staying in the hotel. Let's say they were ...exuberant...until the wee hours.

Overall, it's probably not a bad place (just a bad stay). It just needs some attention from corporate to making a better presentation, training the staff, and making policies for noisy visitors.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan J
Brandi R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear SusanJ,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown. I would like to apologize that our property was hard to find. We are looking at ways to improve this for our guests. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the front desk staff at the hotel. I am sorry you catch the flu while traveling and came back to your room without it being serviced. That isn't the way we want our guests to return to the hotel and then to be sick on top of it isn't a great thing. We appreciate your feedback because this allows us to know our shortcomings and fix those issues so we can shine for all guests.

Please know we appreciate you staying at our location and for your feedback regarding your experience. We will use that feedback to better our hotel.

Brandi Rutherford

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I'm not a fan of Tacoma Downtown. However, my employer insists on continuing to lodge me there. But this Holiday Inn is decent. There is a parking garage so you are not parking on the street. I believe that is a plus. The neighborhood looks a bit run down. I parked my full size pickup in the garage. It is a bit tight but works. I'm glad I don't own a lifted club cab with an eight foot bed. The Holiday Inn looks like it's new, in very good repair. The staff all seem friendly. The rooms are well planned and roomy. The free breakfast buffet was to standard. Nothing spectacular, but you will not go hungry. I'll be staying there four more nights in the next month.

1  Thank codyayrton
Les H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

codyayrton,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is good to see that you enjoy our wonderful hotel staff and the free parking for our guests. I appreciate your honesty about the layout of the hotel, the amount of space in our guestrooms and the surrounding area. Tacoma is working really hard on the development on the south side of the University of Washington Tacoma campus and we are appreciative of the opportunity to help in that revitalization. If you would like to stop by the desk on your next stay I would gladly go over some of those future plans for the area with you. Thank you again and safe travels,
Les H.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

they always kept the doors to the breakfast area locked which was kind of a pain and your key could only work on 1 of the doors. Just kind of weird and inconvenient. There was no restuarant just a breakfast area which was average.

Room Tip: not really.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Les H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Par09,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about the Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown. We value all feedback from our guests. We appreciate your high scores in the areas of service, cleanliness, location, room and sleep quality. Please accept my apology for your trouble accessing the breakfast room after hours of operation. We hope to see you again next time you are in Tacoma.
Safe Travels,
Les

Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

It was very nice, updated, & clean hotel to stay in, Especially for the price. The staff was great, we needed a room with a fridge but booked an Executive Room. They were able to update our room to a suite. Which were very spacious. Free covered parking was great. Only problems we had were the free wifi is not compatible with iPhones. And it was kinda hard to find Hotel.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Arw-Bkw
Les H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Arw Bkw,
Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown. I am happy to see you encountered our exceptional staff here and enjoyed one of our spacious suites with the refrigerator and microwave. One of the most mentioned comments at the front desk is that we offer free parking to all of our guests. I am glad you could take advantage of that during your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with the wireless internet during your time with us, we know how important that is when travelling. Please join us again if you get back to the Tacoma area.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Nice hotel, clean, well sized rooms with a convenient location to downtown. Restaurants and bars within walking distance. Walking distance to downtown tram. Easy check in, great staff. Free, on site parking.

2  Thank Paco P
Les H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Paco P,

Thank you so much for choosing Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown for your recent stay. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff and all the amenities the hotel had to offer. Please visit us again when you have the opportunity.
Safe Travels,

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I found this property on Trip Advisor, and clicked through to book it on the HIE website. I thought I was getting a good price with a prepaid deal for a pet friendly room. When I checked in, the clerk asked me if I was aware of the $50 pet fee. I said "No," that since I prepaid what was called a Pet Room, I assumed the charges I was quoted and paid included the full amount, and that nothing about a $50 pet fee appeared in the rate I was quoted and booked. Clerk said they couldn't be responsible since I had booked through Trip Advisor. I get trying to explain that I clicked to the HIE site from Trip Advisor, but the clerk didn't get it. I asked to speak to a manager, but was told none was at the property today. I think the $50 fee is VERY high for a one night pet fee, and I think it should have been disclosed and been made part of the prepaid booking. As it was, when I got to the hotel and was told about it, I did not have the option to go elsewhere, as they already had my money---and now have even more. Dodgey and deceptive in my book, and not a bit consumer friendly. SO I cannot recommend this hotel to those traveling with pets. But I will point out there is a LaQuinta about a quarter mile away that has a very generous and easy pet policy. Should have stayed there in the first place, but was lured to HIE by their prepaid rate that wasn't the real rate. I've learned my lesson and will not be back here again, though I come to Tacoma frequently.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear FromPacficNW,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We sincerely apologize for the confusion you had while making your reservations online and our pet policy. We would like to get more information regarding your experience unfortunately we are unable to send you a private message due to your account restrictions here on Tripadvisor.com.

May we please request you to send us an email to IHGCare@ihg.com with the details of your concern and Tripadvisor ID. We will respond once we heard back from you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write us a review and we look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Very nice new hotel, located conveniently in downtown Tacoma. Excellent beds, nice soft pillows. Walking distance to museums and good restaurants Did not get to try, the included breakfast as we had be at the airport early. Wifi did not work properly on my floor. Only could make a connection in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dogtooth1947
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Dogtooth1947,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown and for your review.

For our travelers departing early in the morning, please let us know if you are leaving before our regular breakfast hours and we will ensure you have our warm signature cinnamon rolls or some fruit and yogurt to go with you.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced trouble with the wireless connection in your guestroom, but glad that you found the lobby connection working for you. We routinely monitor our equipment and points of access in the hotel and are typically able to resolve any connection issues that arise quickly.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Tacoma!

With hospitality,