“would stay again”

Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We booked the deluxe hot tub room online. When we checked in they informed us that the website had "oversold" the rooms and they had to put us in a different room without the hot tub. They didn't even offer a discount or anything for the inconvenience..I had to ask for a discount. They blamed the booking site (which was THEIR website) for the issue...they couldn't even admit it was their fault. Oh..and they knew of the over booking early in the day and didn't bother to call or email me. That's bad service.

The room was two hotel rooms connected, so it was big..and awkward. Instead of having one bed in one room and another in the first room with the tiny old couch they put them both in the second room. For parents with multiple children this meant no privacy. Not to mention the really awful layout of the living room area. Only one lamp in the living room..it was so dark!

The room was very clean though, they had new tvs and the woman at the front desk was really nice. That's the positive things I have to say.

Back to the issues..
No smoke alarm in the second room..just wires hanging out of where one is supposed to go.
Holes the size of my thumb in both closets.
No comforter on beds. Just thin fuzzy blankets between two sheets..its COLD out people!! We were cold all night!
Wires for the phone and cable were strewn about all crazy like...we have a dog and a two year old..This is a safety hazard.
The toilet in the first room was clogged and tried to overflow. And the toilet in the second bathroom ran the whole time.
The curtain was busted.
There was sharp metal sticking out the back of the chair in the living room..again a safety hazard for kids.
Towels were frayed and mis matched.
Blankets had stains and holes.
Breakfast was simple. The only fruit was bananas that were overly ripe..my kids filled up on carbs.

Honestly the hotel could be so much nicer if they spent more time and money on maintenance! Also on new bedding and towels.

I don't like leaving negative reviews, but I'm leaving this one so that hopefully they will make some improvements.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Yameekia S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your response. It was a pleasure speaking with you directly in regards to your recent stay at our property. I'm happy I was able to provide a resolution to your concerns. Knowing that all issues that were addressed in your response have been rectified and completed I welcome you and your family's return to Tacoma. Once again we look forward to accommodating you back on your future stay in Tacoma. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the property with any additional questions or concerns.
Canyon Country
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Room was quiet and clean. Good cable tv.
The day clerk, Monica, was superb. Very professional and she answered all my questions with a smile. The night clerk was a bit grouchy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Yameekia S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hello and thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. Monica is a great asset to our team and I'm happy to know she was professional and was able to answer all of your questions. I'll ensure that she reads this review and is given proper recognition. We are always looking for ways to give great service to our guests and I will address the issue of the grouchy night clerk. Our expanded cable is a great feature and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. Thank you again for talking time out of your day to respond.
California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Very friendly staff. Good breakfast. Excellend rates. This is one of the best motels I've stayed at.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your comment. I'm happy to hear your stay was great.
Travellers also viewed these Tacoma hotels
Quality Inn & Suites
Crossland Economy Studios - Tacoma - Hosmer
Shilo Inn & Suites Tacoma
Comfort Inn Tacoma - Seattle
Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma - Waterfront

Been to Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB? Share your experiences!