“I took my daughter and grandkids to Tacoma o vacation had a...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB

Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Troutdale, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'm not going to lie but I was worried about this hotel. I stayed at the Days Inn in Federal Way last summer and about lost it with that experience. This hotel is old, the lobby is beautiful and clean and the breakfast was very good. Our room was old and outdated, but comfortable and accommodated two adults and four children at a very reasonable price of $201.00 for two nights. The staff in this hotel are awesome and very willing to help out where needed. I read the reviews and I knew what I was getting. Yes, there is little bedding so we came prepared with our own, there were no sheets on the pull out so I went and asked.
The only problem I had was with the police presence. We went to Winco and came back to find the police out front and the next night the police were around the back of the hotel. With this said I did not feel scared for my life. I understand the area and I also know that people may be living in this hotel.
All in all we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Yameekia S, Guest services at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
We're delighted to hear of your pleasant stay with us at the Howard Johnson Hotel of Tacoma. We appreciate your patronage and kind comments about our friendly staff, as well as our clean and comfortable accommodations. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to you'll visit us again soon.
White Salmon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

General manager was nice and helpful but this place was a dive. Mold in the bathroom on the ceiling. Dirty towels broken lights and plug in. Filthy carpets this should not be one that Wyndham should recommend or even have in their group of hotels.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your most recent trip. We are always appreciative for thorough reviews such as yours and would like to take this opportunity to apologize if any area of your visit fell short of your expectations. It is our hope that each guest receives an enjoyable visit while with us. After reading your review, it appears that several aspects of your trip were not reflective of our usual high standards. We hope you'll accept our apologies for any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. Please rest assured that we have shared your valuable comments with the head of our housekeeping department. We appreciate your honest feedback and will take your comments into consideration. In the future we hope you'll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back.
Pierce
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

When I made the reservation through Expedia I specifically asked that our room have a fridge, microwave and crib in it. We got to our room and none of those items were there. When I went down to the front desk they told me they never got that information from Expedia and only their suites have the fridge and microwave and they could upgrade me to a suite for $15 more a night. I said okay so we moved our items to a suite. When got there and there was an immediate odor in the room. Both rooms in the suite had a tv. The tv where the beds were worked fine. The tv where the pullout was did not. It came on but said no signal. I did some looking around and found that the cable had been completely pulled out of the tv. I was able to fix it myself and soon after the tv where the beds are said no signal. The lady from the front desk brought a pack-n-play to our room and we told her about the tv situation. She tried to get the tv, now saying "no signal" to work but could not. The pad in the pack-n-play that lays on the bottom was stained in numerous places. Luckily my wife had brought a small fitted sheet to cover it. The lady from the front desk called maintenance and he said he thought a staple from the carpet may have gone through the cable and was causing it to sometimes work fine and other times not. So we loaded up all of our stuff and went to a third room. No odor in this one and both tv's worked. When you went to open the door to the fridge the front corner drug on the carpet, so you had to push it up and back to get it open. Also the air on the side with the pullout did not work. By now it was getting late so the next morning I went down to the front desk and showed them the confirmation email I had gotten from Expedia where it said what my requests were and also to tell them about the air not working. They said they had already given me the suites at a regular room price but I told more than that needed to be done. They told me since the reservation was made through Expedia I would have to call them because that is who is charging my card. After being on the phone with Expedia for 45 minutes things were finally taken care of. One thing to mention is that the ladies that worked here were VERY friendly and accommodating and understanding of our situation. It was not them that gave this rating "poor" but the facility they work at. I can see why the rates were as reasonable as they were.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Yameekia S, Guest services at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, that is correct our standard rooms do not come w/ fridge and microwaves only our suites come with those two amenities. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and happy to hear that our front desk took care of you adequately. We are thankful that you chose our hotel for your stay and appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Travellers are raving about these Tacoma hotels