“A funky breakie/lunch place near Glass Museum”
Review of Renaissance Cafe

Renaissance Cafe
Ranked #88 of 760 Restaurants in Tacoma
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Soups
Tacoma, Washington
“A funky breakie/lunch place near Glass Museum”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I see what others refer to as the "mean/friendly guy", but being from the East Coast originally, if that's a prime criteria to rate restaurants, y'all'd rate many Boston area restaurants as one star since the "what's it to ya" attitude is uber-prevalent there. And, frankly, another skill learned from the East, is to go right back at him, parry and thrust. It's all in good fun.

A friend and I both had the veg chili and salad, with the cookie. The salad and cookie were very good. The chili, not so much, and I wouldn't order it again. Bland, needed some cumin and chili peppers, and maybe some melted cheese on top.

I like the restaurant a lot though, and I'll be back to try other offerings.

It's a real place, proud not to have the wifi or Facebook and good on 'em for that.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank targhee42

seattle
“Great expresso milkshake!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Were there for lunch. Keith the owner was dashing around serving rapidly, doing 1.5 servers work with a smile. I opted for chili and a milkshake over a full on sandwich. Chili was not up to the temperature I prefer, but tasty. My wife's taco salad was nice and looked attractive. Salsa was homemade and tasty. Well located in Museum neighborhood of Tacoma, on street angle parking outside if not full. We liked it. Humorous posters and other items decorate the walls, colorful fun place. The milkshake had a pleasingly strong flavor of expresso, not just a hint of coffee. Made with hard ice cream and blended. Better than most if not all I've had for flavor.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank dickanddoug
Federal Way, Washington, United States
“Fun (slightly quirky) Cafe”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Great location in Tacoma's museum and TWU district for a quick and tasty meal. The owner is a real Tacoma treasure serving up great sandwiches, cookies, and coffee. It's pretty simple and bare bones but a nice comfortable place. We like it! Be prepared to share a table with strangers if it gets crowded (which it often does over lunch).

1 Thank Joe D
Williamsburg, VA
“The Best Thing to do at 5 AM!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I love this place! Keith is always up for chatting early in the morning and serves up great eggs to boot. The pulpy art and quirky sense make this a comfortable place to eat and let your eyes wander.
Easy access and open all day starting at 5 AM, you owe it to yourself to try the steam wand prepared eggs...awesome!

1 Thank jasonparkhouse
Seattle, Washington
“Quaint & Funky cafe near the Glass Museum..”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stepping in off Pacific Ave I really wanted this place to be great, and reading the other reviews had me hopeful. Fun décor with repro vintage posters (available for purchase) and the eclectic menu set the stage, but my lunch choice to-go did not match my anticipation. Giving an 'A' for effort and a 'C' for substance, my taco salad was only fair (see photo). It needed to be more than ground beef, processed cheese and chopped romaine lettuce ringed by a few tortilla chips. Maybe some beans, guacamole and dare I say peppers? I really want to see the sole proprietor succeed, so I will stop in again and try another item. Taco salad and a diet coke = $10, also a bit steep for it's quality.

1 Thank Mitch_K2012