“A Wonderful Place”

Ranked #7 of 11 Tacoma B&B and Inns
Florida
“A Wonderful Place”
Reviewed 10 October 2007

I stayed in the hayloft and enjoyed it very much. Lots of nooks and crannies and everything, and more, that one would expect to find in a hotel. Cecil has great advice on where to go, and what to do (he's basically done it all). If you do not want to drive, this is a great area to walk around, sight-see, etc... (there is nice architecture almost anywhere one looks). Awesome breakfasts. I felt very at home.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank buzzFlorida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sacramento
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I stayed in Tacoma on business and after a hectic 3 days, it was a delight to stay here. Apprehensive at first for the yard looked overgrown and the house could use paint (it actually adds to the antiqueness of the place) I was thrilled with my room! The owners were lovely and very accomodating. My room was a two room retreat with a wonderful jacuzzi which worked perfectly! The bed was wonderful and there was not an amenity that they forgot! Snacks and drinks were available as well as movies for the viewing. Games, cards and wireless internet were also available. Since I needed to leave before breakfast was served, the owners packed a breakfast of my choosing for me and set the coffee maker to be ready before I departed. I couldn't have been more pleased. After a relaxing evening, using the jacuzzi, having a snack, watching TV and resting in a very comfortable bed, I went to sleep feeling like a princess. I would stay here again in a hearbeat!

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank dpmiss
Las Vegas NV
Reviewed 29 October 2006

What wonderful retreat! The bubbly jacuzzis are so relaxing. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast is a real meal. The coffee is freshly ground and delicious. We've relaxed outside in the lovely gardens with books and played scrabble in the parlor. We've stayed in every room and each has its own charm. The first time there we watched the ships and barges from the Pantages. The carriage house is especially nice. I loved the chair and a half upstairs--very comfortable for a good read. It's so peaceful and Yarrow and Cecil are so welcoming. Try the Jelly Bath!

• Liked — The comfort and ambiance
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the Jelly Bath!
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Sasai
Sacramento
Reviewed 16 September 2006

I have stayed at this property three times in the last 4 years. Once prior to buying a bed and breakfast in Sacramento and twice afterwards. I have stayed in three different rooms. I've stayed in the Carriage House, the third floor large room (we had 5 people sleep comfortably), and a front room with an amazing tub, view, and comfortable bed.

The owners were very attentive each time we have stayed there. They have accomodated us as a couple looking for romance and questions before buying our inn, they accomodated me and my daughters on a trip home to Canada, and they handled my whole family prior to an Alaska cruise.

In order to size up the decor you must first meet Cecil and Yarrow (I hope I spelled that right). They are the most down to earth practical people I have ever met. Thier approach to decor is to keep the building as close to it's original style as possible while adding amazingly comfortable amenities and elegant period pieces combined with the occasional dramatic touches.

The garden has an old english feel to it with a since of wildness that invites exploration. Sitting on the veranda one could reflect on the family that must have built this lovely mansion on a hill over looking the bay. As I have sat there so many evenings over the years, I can say that I have had the chance to simply breathe. A moment to exhale. There are not many hotels where seclusion and escape are provided so effortlessly. Usually it comes at a price for this and a price for that.

Now as a bed and breakfast owner I look for 3 things when I am reviewing a property:

1. Clean Comfortable beds with soft sheets.
2. Breakfast, Breakfast, Breakfast.
3. Wireless internet-now a days we must work when we play.

This property has all three and they do all three exceptionally well. It must be noted that Cecil cooks an amazing breakfast. After four years and rave reviews of our breakfast, each time I eat a breakfast of Cecils, I am humbled by his creativity.

So I may be biased because I love staying there and I love the hosts. But you cannot fake the three things I look for.

• Liked — The FOOD. The Beds. The Wireless Internet.
  • Disliked — That I did not try the Jelly Bath.
  • Tips/Secrets — Meet your host they will shower you with attention.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank OVRSAX
Reviewed 7 July 2006

Chinaberry was a great experience with fantastic breakfasts and wonderful hosts. Our bed in the carriage house was very comfortable and interesting. They do need to repaint - badly. But I, my father, step- mother and my daughter felt the interior as well as the gracious hosts made up for this.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2006

We stayed at the Chinaberry Hill for four days in June, 2006. If we had gone by our first impressions, we would have driven by without stopping. The house has not been painted in years, and the garden looks like it may have been without care for even longer. However, we did stop and the greeting was warm as we were shown around without hurry. Our room (the top priced one) was okay. It, too, was in need of paint and some professional repairs. However, it was clean and comfortable, if overpriced. The breakfasts were excellent and the most hardy I have received at any B&B. The seating is at several tables for two or four, and I found that I had almost no interaction with other guests - one of the reasons I like B&B's. On my next trip to Tacoma I will probably look for another place to stay.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 March 2006

I agree w/the first reveiwer. Our room was depressing with torn curtains, poor heating and no touchs like bed side lights. THe breakfast was ok, but the place we sat was next to a moulded stero system. Furninshing were tired and the yard was a mess. Unpainted woodward on exterior and just generally blah

• Stayed March 2006