“Hands Down - Chinaberry Hill is Our Favorite!”

Chinaberry Hill - A Luxury Urban B&B Experience
Chinaberry Hill - A Luxury Urban B&B Experience
Ranked #7 of 11 Tacoma B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2008

Wherever we go, we always find ourselves comparing our experiences to what we get when we stay at Chinaberry Hill (this is our third visit). Beautiful rooms (the beds are super comfy!), fun décor (if you like both opulent and quirky, this is the place for you), easily the best breakfasts we’ve had anywhere – and awesome hosts. You know when you’ve found a winner – we won’t stay anywhere else when we’re in the Seattle area.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arjana

Reviewed 6 November 2008

These people are amazing... they go above and beyond the norm to make your stay unique and personal. Sitting down to a delightful, hardy breakfast and delightful conversation with Cecil and Yarrow is a special treat.

From mints on the pillow to fresh cookies in the jar-- Chinaberry Hill has all the little touches that make a place feel like home.

My husband and I stayed for a weekend and left refreshed after relaxing in our jacuzzi tub in the carriage house, lounging in the garden (Victorian charm) and chatting with our hosts over breakfast and games.

Loved and will return again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mediameg
Reviewed 6 July 2008

It is obvious that this B&B was very charming a long time ago, however the current owners seem happy to focus on profits and neglect the property which is generally run down. We stayed in the hayloft which appears to be the worse room there, which is probably why there are no pictures of it on their website. The bathroom is so poor that it was nearly impossible to take a shower. This room has zero charm, and should not be rented out until it is renovated, or better yet used for storage. On a positive note, Rick, their helper was great and the breakfasts were fine. If you would like a nice B&B experience, I would pass this location by until the grounds are cleaned up and some much needed painting and work are completed.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank dipetetravel
Reviewed 10 October 2007

I stayed in the hayloft and enjoyed it very much. Lots of nooks and crannies and everything, and more, that one would expect to find in a hotel. Cecil has great advice on where to go, and what to do (he's basically done it all). If you do not want to drive, this is a great area to walk around, sight-see, etc... (there is nice architecture almost anywhere one looks). Awesome breakfasts. I felt very at home.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank buzzFlorida
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I stayed in Tacoma on business and after a hectic 3 days, it was a delight to stay here. Apprehensive at first for the yard looked overgrown and the house could use paint (it actually adds to the antiqueness of the place) I was thrilled with my room! The owners were lovely and very accomodating. My room was a two room retreat with a wonderful jacuzzi which worked perfectly! The bed was wonderful and there was not an amenity that they forgot! Snacks and drinks were available as well as movies for the viewing. Games, cards and wireless internet were also available. Since I needed to leave before breakfast was served, the owners packed a breakfast of my choosing for me and set the coffee maker to be ready before I departed. I couldn't have been more pleased. After a relaxing evening, using the jacuzzi, having a snack, watching TV and resting in a very comfortable bed, I went to sleep feeling like a princess. I would stay here again in a hearbeat!

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank dpmiss
Reviewed 29 October 2006

What wonderful retreat! The bubbly jacuzzis are so relaxing. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast is a real meal. The coffee is freshly ground and delicious. We've relaxed outside in the lovely gardens with books and played scrabble in the parlor. We've stayed in every room and each has its own charm. The first time there we watched the ships and barges from the Pantages. The carriage house is especially nice. I loved the chair and a half upstairs--very comfortable for a good read. It's so peaceful and Yarrow and Cecil are so welcoming. Try the Jelly Bath!

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank Sasai
Reviewed 16 September 2006

I have stayed at this property three times in the last 4 years. Once prior to buying a bed and breakfast in Sacramento and twice afterwards. I have stayed in three different rooms. I've stayed in the Carriage House, the third floor large room (we had 5 people sleep comfortably), and a front room with an amazing tub, view, and comfortable bed.

The owners were very attentive each time we have stayed there. They have accomodated us as a couple looking for romance and questions before buying our inn, they accomodated me and my daughters on a trip home to Canada, and they handled my whole family prior to an Alaska cruise.

In order to size up the decor you must first meet Cecil and Yarrow (I hope I spelled that right). They are the most down to earth practical people I have ever met. Thier approach to decor is to keep the building as close to it's original style as possible while adding amazingly comfortable amenities and elegant period pieces combined with the occasional dramatic touches.

The garden has an old english feel to it with a since of wildness that invites exploration. Sitting on the veranda one could reflect on the family that must have built this lovely mansion on a hill over looking the bay. As I have sat there so many evenings over the years, I can say that I have had the chance to simply breathe. A moment to exhale. There are not many hotels where seclusion and escape are provided so effortlessly. Usually it comes at a price for this and a price for that.

Now as a bed and breakfast owner I look for 3 things when I am reviewing a property:

1. Clean Comfortable beds with soft sheets.
2. Breakfast, Breakfast, Breakfast.
3. Wireless internet-now a days we must work when we play.

This property has all three and they do all three exceptionally well. It must be noted that Cecil cooks an amazing breakfast. After four years and rave reviews of our breakfast, each time I eat a breakfast of Cecils, I am humbled by his creativity.

So I may be biased because I love staying there and I love the hosts. But you cannot fake the three things I look for.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple